Clinton says no to second term
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton during her visit to the U.S. Embassy in Cairo on March 16, 2011.
March 16th, 2011

Clinton says no to second term

(CNN) – Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told CNN's Wolf Blitzer she does not want to serve a second term as secretary of state or run for president of the United States.

Blitzer sat down with the former 2008 presidential candidate in Cairo.

Full transcript:

Q- If the president is reelected, do you want to serve a second term as secretary of state?

Q- Would you like to serve as secretary of defense?

Q- Would you like to be vice president of the United States?

Q- Would you like to be president of the United States?

Q- Why not?

Because I have the best job I could ever have. This is a moment in history where it is almost hard to catch your breath. There are both the tragedies and disasters that we have seen from Haiti to Japan and there are the extraordinary opportunities and challenges that we see right here in Egypt and in the rest of the region. So I want to be part of helping to represent the United States at this critical moment in time, to do everything I can in support of the president and our government and the people of our country to stand for our values and our ideals, to stand up for our security, which has to remain first and foremost in my mind and to advance America's interests. And there isn't anything that I can imagine doing after this that would be as demanding, as challenging or rewarding.

Q- President of the United States?

You know, I had a wonderful experience running and I am very proud of the support I had and very grateful for the opportunity, but I'm going to be, you know, moving on.

Q- I asked my viewers and followers on Twitter to send questions and a lot of them said, "Ask her if she'll run in 2016 for the presidency." A lot of folks would like to you to do that.

Well that's very kind, but I am doing what I want to do right now and I have no intention or any idea even of running again. I'm going to do the best I can at this job for the next two years.

Watch the full interview on CNN's "The Situation Room" at 5 p.m. ET.

1. Bobarian

"I don't really believe in democracy. Offer me a monarchy and we'll talk."

March 16, 2011 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  2. ja

the job is brutal, don't I don't blame her, and I admire her for knowing when to stop

March 16, 2011 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  3. Joe

I wish she would have won.

March 16, 2011 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  4. Ben

Thanks for all your hard work and sacrifice, Hillary. Not that's you're reading this or anything.

March 16, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  5. Dylan

Mrs. Clinton: Whatever you decide, works for me. Thanks for the good job!

March 16, 2011 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  6. bluedogboy

She should run in 2016.

March 16, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  7. Deb

Not sure if I believe her. Kind of wish she would run, I might even vote for her this time. I feel she would be the best and most qualified candidate running as of now. But it is early, things may change drastically in the next year.

March 16, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  8. Michael

Hey why not nominate Sarah Palin or Michelle Bachman in 2 years? Think of the job they could do? They both have such a wealth of experience in foreign policy. We would be at war with the world in no time.

March 16, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  9. RAMBLE3144

Seems like everybody in the Obama administration quits or is ousted. Must be a sweetheart to work for.

March 16, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  10. Lagrange Jim

If you believe this, I have a bridge from Manhattan to Brooklyn for sale.

March 16, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  11. Frank

Seems like a nice lady. Had her taste of National politics and decided to move on. Im sure a lot of people like myself who didnt want to vote for her 2 years ago wish they could now.

March 16, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  12. Don

Compared to the "Mama Grizzlies" and assorted wildlife I have seen in recent months, Secretary of State Clinton continues to be professional, level-headed, competent, and a true American patriot.

March 16, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  13. Dave

Too bad. I'd actually vote for Hilary, now.

March 16, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  14. vikingslost

Thank you, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, for being there for the United States and the people.

I'm thinking that you would make an outstanding U.S. Supreme Court Justice during President Obama's second term.

Who's with me on that?

God Bless America!

March 16, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  15. Hil

Their rolls should be reversed.... SHE was much more capable of being President than Obama.

March 16, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  16. Larry L

I feel Secretary Clinton is a credit to our Nation and the Democratic Party. She adds wisdom and maturity to a political and diplomatic environment often in need of adult supervision. Who would want to serve as President when the political terrorists of the Republican Party continue to wage war on the working people of America?

March 16, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  17. Claudia, Houston, Tx

It's appropriate for Hillary to say no and she will inform us further at an appropriate time. You go Hillary Clinton.

March 16, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  18. vbscript2

Of course she's not going to be Secretary of State after 2012... because in Jan 2013, the President will be a Republican and I doubt any of them will appoint her to such a position.

March 16, 2011 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  19. Reggi Dwight

She's not smart enough to be President. If President Obama wasn't helping her at every turn she couldn't handle the current job she's doing.

March 16, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  20. John

My crystal ball tells me she will in fact run for POTUS in 2012 and she will win the White House and inherit an economy in worst shape since the depression of the 30's. This decision is just a prelude to her preparing herself for the only challenge that she has ever dream of and aspire too. We will see you on the campaign trail! Best of luck to you Hillary

March 16, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  21. Jim Morrison

Many people don't realize the requirments and the heavy load this kiind of job takes. It will certainly make you decide whether you are qualified or not. Decisive moments occur every day in this job. I would suspect that Mrs Clinton has figure that part out.

March 16, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  22. ignatzz

Why does she say she won't and then seems to say that it's the best job ever?

Why not?

Because I have the best job I could ever have.... And there isn't anything that I can imagine doing after this that would be as demanding, as challenging or rewarding.

That doesn't seem to make much sense.

March 16, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  23. Anonymous

Who would want her job right now? The world is a mess! The president is under a microscope and has the domestic issues at the forefront, But Hilary has the ENTIRE WORLD to deal with and its off the hook!
    She can become an intelligent Sarah Palin and sit home and make comments and hold press conferneces and regain her clout at home.

March 16, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  24. whosebone

Well good, one less communist to have to worry about having any power

March 16, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  25. trisha

It is pretty obvious why she is leaving.................because the current president has RUINED THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! and she knows it. Obama is going to get destroyed in 2012, it doesn't matter who is running against. Every ethnic group in america is worse off now then they were under Bush. Even blacks are worse off and I should know because I am one of them. Hilary is running away from this president as fast as she can, and I don't blame her.

March 16, 2011 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |