Obama finds defender in Dan Quayle
March 17th, 2011

Obama finds defender in Dan Quayle

(CNN) - When President Obama headed to the golf course last weekend – the 61st time he has done so since becoming president - critics pounced, saying it was inappropriate for the commander-in-chief to indulge himself when several crises abroad demanded his attention.

But at least one Republican is coming to the president's defense: former Vice President Dan Quayle.

Speaking on Fox Business Network Wednesday, Quayle – a fellow golfer – says there's no reason why Obama can't play golf and run the country at the same time.

"I'm glad he's out playing golf. I happen to be a golfer. I think presidents deserve down time. And believe me, he is in constant communication with what's going on," said Quayle. "I mean, what do you want him to do, stay in his house and be on the phone with the ambassador to Japan all the time?"

The warm response from a member of the Quayle family may come as a bit of a surprise to Obama. After all, it was only last fall when his son, Rep. Ben Quayle, dubbed Obama "the worst president in history" in a television ad.

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Patrick from Minnesota

Dan's delinquent son Ben should take after his father.

March 17, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  2. Jennifer

When Dan Quayle starts defending you, you know you've hit the bottom of the barrel.

March 17, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  3. GOPhatesUSA

Yea for Dan Quayle! Same for Geo. Bush when he also stands up for our president and recognizes the hard work ahead of him. The rest of you anti-Obama haters, well you must be anti-American! Don't you know wer'e at war? That was the famous line when people were bashing Geo. W. Bush. Hypocrites. Yea for Quayle :)

March 17, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  4. Out Manned Out Gunned but,

Well, Well, Well, I'll be spamed. Wors of wisdom coming from Dan. Looks like he is the smartest repug out there. We might have something here. Let's wait until the sun goes down, around midnight and see what cooks.

March 17, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  5. Wire Palladin, S. F.

President has golfed 61 times in the last 2+ years? Boner golfed more than 90 times last year. I remember Bush on the golf course say during a crisis, "Now watch this drive." I remember him fishing while starting two wars. I remember him in Crawford failing to heed the warnings preceding 9-11. God, I will never vote for another republican.

March 17, 2011 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  6. Laverne

He is a lot smarter than his son. What he said is absolutely right, some people are asking and expecting too much from a mere mortal. He never claimed to be God, but apparently some are mad because he is not! With all this president has and is dealling with, he deserves to play golf, smoke a cigarette, have a beer or whatever. If people spent more time looking for solutions rather than critiquing President Obama's every move, we would be in better shape. I am sure what's coming next is some fool who claim to know his thoughts!

March 17, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  7. SAM DACOSTA

So, if we stop to think about the crisis in the USA and around the world, we might come to realize that even the President is deserving of a few downtime moments. I work 10 hrs. per day, exercise 3 hrs. per day and spend the other 11 hrs. between my family and at home. What's wrong with this President having a small window to relax and re-charge? I'm glad that Dan Quayle is at least honest in his assessment on this discussion.

March 17, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  8. Sniffit

This is such a non-issue I could vomit. Stop lending it legitimacy, CNN. I know the advertising revenue is the new arbiter of truth, but this is just freekin ridiculous.

March 17, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  9. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Not exactly the person I would want to get an endorsement from...

March 17, 2011 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  10. MediaIsPartOfTheProblem

WHAA?!?! A resonable rethuglican?! Am I dreaming?!

March 17, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  11. Rod from Chicago

Thank goodness that this former VP has sense enough to make this statement of support...hateful DIck Cheney needs to get a blood transfusion from Quayle and maybe he'll get some good sense in the process!

March 17, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  12. TheTraveler

Criminy! Give the Prez a break! The guy is only human and I would challenge ANYONE who has to operate under the kind of pressure the Leader of the Free World has to, NOT to take a little time to unwind. As Quayle puts it, if anything comes up, the Prez would be notified immediately. President Obama is probably the most "connected" guy in the world right now ...

Besides, as an golfer myself and professional businessman, I can't begin to tell people how many business deals and problems I've worked out while playing a bit of "cow pasture pool". Get out from under the stress a bit and it's amazing how our brains will work!

March 17, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  13. Sue

I wonder if Quayle will also defend the weak, clueless, incompetent idiot in our White House--when he and the family leave for "spring break" to Brazil in a few days?

March 17, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  14. DIANA

Yet the Republicans seem to find time to defund NPR and Planned Parenthood. Where are the jobs?!

March 17, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  15. JustMe

I mean, what do you want him to do, stay in his house ... all the time?"

Exactly what I have been saying all along. The whole thing is ludicrous that he can't have a date with his wife or go on vacation or go play golf or basketball or whatever (and yes, I ALWAYS said the same thing about Bush).

March 17, 2011 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |