Trump says he has doubts about Obama’s birth place
March 17th, 2011

Trump says he has doubts about Obama’s birth place

(CNN) – Donald Trump, the business mogul who continues to claim he is seriously interested in mounting a bid for the White House, says he has doubts about whether President Obama was born in the United States.

In an interview with ABC, Trump said he finds it strange “nobody knew” Obama as a young child in Hawaii.

“Let me tell you, I’m a really smart guy. I was a really good student at the best school in the country. The reason I have a little doubt, just a little, is because he grew up and nobody knew him,” Trump said in the interview that aired Thursday.

“If I got the nomination, if I decide to run, you may go back and interview people from my kindergarten. They'll remember me. Nobody comes forward. Nobody knows who he is until later in his life. It's very strange,” the Celebrity Apprentice host added. “The whole thing is very strange.”

Current Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie has said he was a friend of Obama’s parents in Hawaii and remembers when the future president was born. Abercrombie, a former congressman who became governor last December, vowed to produce an original copy of Obama’s birth certificate but abandoned those efforts earlier this year because it is against state law to release private documents, according to his spokeswoman.

In 2008, the Obama campaign produced a certification of live birth that reports his birthplace as Honolulu, Hawaii. He attended kindergarten there before moving to Jakarta, Indonesia with his stepfather at age six. Katherine Nakamoto, Obama’s kindergarten teacher, described the then-five-year old to the Maui News in 2009: “He was a cute, likable, heavy build-child. I could visualize Barry smiling, dressed in his long-sleeved, white shirt tucked into his brown Bermuda shorts, and wearing laced shoes."

In the interview with ABC, Trump also said he would be willing to spend $600 million on his own presidential bid and ran through his opinions of his possible opponents.

Mitt Romney? “He doesn’t resonate.”

Tim Pawlenty? “I don't think he will captivate the voters.”

Jon Huntsman? “When you work for somebody else, as he has worked for Barack Obama, you don't leave and run against that person. It's very disloyal.”

Mike Huckabee? “I really like him. He's the kind of a guy that maybe could really get some votes.”

Sarah Palin? “She did fine as the governor. I think, personally, she made a tragic mistake when she left early. I think she's more qualified than Barack Obama was when he became president.

Newt Gingrich? “You know why I like Gingrich? He just joined my club in New York.”

Filed under: Donald Trump • President Obama
  1. JohnCL

Donald Trump. Bletch! Ordinarily I'd say to the Donald, "Spend it all!" but I think he would have to borrow or leverage a lot of that $600 mil. He is right about Romney and Pawlenty and I see that the Newt-ster bought his favorable approval of the Donald.

March 17, 2011 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  2. CCFan

I always suspected that Donald is an intellectual lightweight. Now I am sure his is.

March 17, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  3. Fair is Fair

I'm no Obama supporter by any stretch of the imagination, but Trump really blew it on this one.

March 17, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  4. Jack

We Americans live in a world of fools. Sat Night Live could not cast better than what the Republicans have offered to possibly run the country. Palin, Newt, Trump, Rick Miller, Angle, and on and on. America truely looks like a joke to all world leaders. God help us. Divided we fall and we can not be more divided. Self interest and ego over rules the betterment of the whole. Sad.

March 17, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  5. Penobscot

Trump is a publicity hound; he's not qualified to be President. The only reason Huckabee will get any votes is because almost every Republican is a Baptist or Evangelical. Romney is clearly the most qualified out of all the GOP potential candidates. The reason he may not resonate is because Baptists hate Mormons, and yet call themselves Christians. If Romney were Baptist, he would win in a landslide. Nothing like good ole-fashioned bigotry coming out of the South...we can always count on them for that.

March 17, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  6. notfooledbydistractions

Stupid comments coming from someone that keeps telling us how really smart he is. Sorry trump, I'm not buyin' what you're sellin'.

March 17, 2011 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  7. WTF242

so, trump says no one knew him in kindergarten, but then CNN says two people knew him.. did anyone confront trump with this and ask for a clarification or elaboration?

March 17, 2011 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  8. Rick in AZ

Donald,Donald, Donald you can't get elected by catering to the lunatic fringe. You need the centrist, both right and left to win. Why waste your money on an ego trip?

March 17, 2011 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  9. Facelessdrone2005

According to my official birth certificate and my parents and the birth reports in local newspaper, I was born in Missouri - but who can trust sources like that. What would be real proof would be if my classmates from kindergarten would just step forward and identify me. It's really troubling that none of them have done so. Even worse, I can't remember any of them, either. I suspect we are all aliens and have been brainwashed by the KGB. That's a lot more likely than that fake story about me being born in Missouri.

March 17, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |