Trump says he has doubts about Obama’s birth place
March 17th, 2011

Trump says he has doubts about Obama’s birth place

(CNN) – Donald Trump, the business mogul who continues to claim he is seriously interested in mounting a bid for the White House, says he has doubts about whether President Obama was born in the United States.

In an interview with ABC, Trump said he finds it strange “nobody knew” Obama as a young child in Hawaii.

“Let me tell you, I’m a really smart guy. I was a really good student at the best school in the country. The reason I have a little doubt, just a little, is because he grew up and nobody knew him,” Trump said in the interview that aired Thursday.

“If I got the nomination, if I decide to run, you may go back and interview people from my kindergarten. They'll remember me. Nobody comes forward. Nobody knows who he is until later in his life. It's very strange,” the Celebrity Apprentice host added. “The whole thing is very strange.”

Current Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie has said he was a friend of Obama’s parents in Hawaii and remembers when the future president was born. Abercrombie, a former congressman who became governor last December, vowed to produce an original copy of Obama’s birth certificate but abandoned those efforts earlier this year because it is against state law to release private documents, according to his spokeswoman.

In 2008, the Obama campaign produced a certification of live birth that reports his birthplace as Honolulu, Hawaii. He attended kindergarten there before moving to Jakarta, Indonesia with his stepfather at age six. Katherine Nakamoto, Obama’s kindergarten teacher, described the then-five-year old to the Maui News in 2009: “He was a cute, likable, heavy build-child. I could visualize Barry smiling, dressed in his long-sleeved, white shirt tucked into his brown Bermuda shorts, and wearing laced shoes."

In the interview with ABC, Trump also said he would be willing to spend $600 million on his own presidential bid and ran through his opinions of his possible opponents.

Mitt Romney? “He doesn’t resonate.”

Tim Pawlenty? “I don't think he will captivate the voters.”

Jon Huntsman? “When you work for somebody else, as he has worked for Barack Obama, you don't leave and run against that person. It's very disloyal.”

Mike Huckabee? “I really like him. He's the kind of a guy that maybe could really get some votes.”

Sarah Palin? “She did fine as the governor. I think, personally, she made a tragic mistake when she left early. I think she's more qualified than Barack Obama was when he became president.

Newt Gingrich? “You know why I like Gingrich? He just joined my club in New York.”

Filed under: Donald Trump • President Obama
  1. Marry

It is bad enough that Mr. Trump utters such stupid stuff – but, CNN, do you really have to spread it??

March 17, 2011 09:28 am at 9:28 am |
  2. goplies

OMG is all I have to say

March 17, 2011 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  3. joe blow

trump - "i'm a really smart guy" - really, is that why you wear that ridiculous hairpiece, have been in bankruptcy numerous times, and are a reality t.v. star? wish i could be like you. not. dude, let me break it to you. you are a trust fund baby with an ego problem and no one cares what you think. btw, trump lovers, tell me where trump stands on any issue of significance effecting the country? thought so. no one knows because the guy is a simpleton who thinks the presidential campaign is like celebrity apprentice. palin more qualified than obama. laughing so hard my sides hurt.

March 17, 2011 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  4. New Age Independant

Like him or not, Trump does make valid points. He's made mistakes; Haven't we all... But he doesn't pull punches and he says what he means. At least you know where he stands. Something our current President would do well to learn.

March 17, 2011 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  5. George

The question is: Is Donald Trump a pandering brown-nose or an ignorant fool?

March 17, 2011 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  6. chad

Money can't buy you class.

March 17, 2011 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  7. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Meg Whitman in a suit. How many bankrupticies has this joker filed? Go away Trump. And do get a haircut! Ugh.

March 17, 2011 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  8. confused

Like him or hate him, he knows how to make a company VERY profitable. He does bring up a good point but will get throttled in the media for it.

March 17, 2011 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  9. Florida Joe

Trump.You grew up with a silver spoon in your mouth...Daddy gave you $40 million to start your business..Of course folks remember obnoxious people like you. How many times have your companies filed Banruptcy? And what the heck is that thing on your head? Is it alive?

March 17, 2011 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  10. nolapearl

If I was even thinking of voting for Trump, I wouldn't after that really stupid comment he just made – that he has questions about where Obama was born. This coming from a guy who doesn't have the sense to get a good haircut and he thinks he should be president.

March 17, 2011 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  11. CHUCK

Here we go again. Mr Trump pleasetry to beat the President on the issues, not this birther crap.

March 17, 2011 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  12. Tony

Oh my God. I have seen documentary’s and news cast of childhood friends talking about the President. Sarah Palin is not qualified to President. If he is already this misinformed and misjudging qualifications and he is not even running. He should not even bother running. Why is this still being brought up. The majority of us are no longer interested.

March 17, 2011 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  13. SF

I have doubt that, that is his real hair.

March 17, 2011 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  14. tampamike

This is exactly why he won't win. Enough of this birhter stuff, when will it stop. The reality is you have never had this kind of nonsense with a white president, how can this not be racial?

March 17, 2011 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  15. Darth Vadik, CA

Do I even need to comment on this idiocy???
    Trump just made himself look like even more of an a** if that was even possible any more...

March 17, 2011 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  16. Quintus

Donald Trump...getting on board the tea party crazy train...

March 17, 2011 09:37 am at 9:37 am |
  17. Greenspam

Another reason I stop watching the Apprentice since season 3..... Thanks for validating me Don. I knew you were a nutcase.

March 17, 2011 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  18. ellid

Trump not only is an egotistical yahoo with a bad combover, he's too stupid to use Google to see the numerous articles about the President's childhood available on line, or read the memoir he wrote years before he ran for President. What a moron.

March 17, 2011 09:38 am at 9:38 am |
  19. Chas in Iowa

This guy is to good at throwing people under the bus to be a serious contender.

March 17, 2011 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  20. sue

Nobody in Cape Girardeau Missouri knows me either....but that's where I was born! Brilliant, Donald!!!

March 17, 2011 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  21. Ron

Are you serious? I can't even remember kids in 1st grade, let alone in my kindergarten. I'd have serious doubts that a kindergarten teacher will remember a student from 40 years ago either.

March 17, 2011 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  22. Name Jeremy from Dallas

More nut job here. This guy want to buy his way to white house. He can dispute facts as he deems fit but that will land him what he wants. Obama was born in Hawaii....period. Lets move fwd to better politics than this nut job.

March 17, 2011 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  23. John

If this is the kind of person who thinks he can be President, the Republicans are in deep trouble.

March 17, 2011 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  24. blaze

and this guy want to run 4 potus .......................wow

March 17, 2011 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  25. Patty

OMG.. Did Trump actually say something so amazingly stupid? There are PLENTY of people who knew Obama in Hawaii in school and have said so and were interviewed in the numerous books that have come out on Obama. These morons just continue to insult American's intelligence. Sorry to say Repubicans, at this rate you are gonna lose really badly in 2012...

March 17, 2011 09:40 am at 9:40 am |