Trump says he has doubts about Obama’s birth place
March 17th, 2011

Trump says he has doubts about Obama’s birth place

(CNN) – Donald Trump, the business mogul who continues to claim he is seriously interested in mounting a bid for the White House, says he has doubts about whether President Obama was born in the United States.

In an interview with ABC, Trump said he finds it strange “nobody knew” Obama as a young child in Hawaii.

“Let me tell you, I’m a really smart guy. I was a really good student at the best school in the country. The reason I have a little doubt, just a little, is because he grew up and nobody knew him,” Trump said in the interview that aired Thursday.

“If I got the nomination, if I decide to run, you may go back and interview people from my kindergarten. They'll remember me. Nobody comes forward. Nobody knows who he is until later in his life. It's very strange,” the Celebrity Apprentice host added. “The whole thing is very strange.”

Current Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie has said he was a friend of Obama’s parents in Hawaii and remembers when the future president was born. Abercrombie, a former congressman who became governor last December, vowed to produce an original copy of Obama’s birth certificate but abandoned those efforts earlier this year because it is against state law to release private documents, according to his spokeswoman.

In 2008, the Obama campaign produced a certification of live birth that reports his birthplace as Honolulu, Hawaii. He attended kindergarten there before moving to Jakarta, Indonesia with his stepfather at age six. Katherine Nakamoto, Obama’s kindergarten teacher, described the then-five-year old to the Maui News in 2009: “He was a cute, likable, heavy build-child. I could visualize Barry smiling, dressed in his long-sleeved, white shirt tucked into his brown Bermuda shorts, and wearing laced shoes."

In the interview with ABC, Trump also said he would be willing to spend $600 million on his own presidential bid and ran through his opinions of his possible opponents.

Mitt Romney? “He doesn’t resonate.”

Tim Pawlenty? “I don't think he will captivate the voters.”

Jon Huntsman? “When you work for somebody else, as he has worked for Barack Obama, you don't leave and run against that person. It's very disloyal.”

Mike Huckabee? “I really like him. He's the kind of a guy that maybe could really get some votes.”

Sarah Palin? “She did fine as the governor. I think, personally, she made a tragic mistake when she left early. I think she's more qualified than Barack Obama was when he became president.

Newt Gingrich? “You know why I like Gingrich? He just joined my club in New York.”

Filed under: Donald Trump • President Obama
  1. Chumlee

Trump – a real patriot – has his private plane registered in Bermuda to avoid US taxes!

Get it Donald, a true blue American who has screwed creditors in three bankrupcies ... so far that is!

March 17, 2011 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  2. BlackPanthers2020

This is really sickning , what is with these white people in this country ,.................purely evil a lot of them are , and sure can't wait till they are swept off of my planet ................................

March 17, 2011 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  3. Purnell

I have proof that not only was the President not born in the US – he was not born at alll and is only a HOLOGRAPHIC IMAGE!!!! THe prooof is that every time he's on TV I try to touch him and instread of a human being there is nothing but the surface of my TV SCREEn! Why doesn't Congress investigate? Because they're alll Communists and are afraid of the truth. CNN is censoring my posts! Why? Because I'm the only one on the internet that is not afraid to tell the TRUTH!!!! bla bla bla in CAPITALS!!!!!!

March 17, 2011 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  4. GoFigure

Where have a the leaders gone? Does anyone focus on the issues anymore. For all his money and supposed smarts, he focuses on non-issues like a child. If the Donald even makes it to the ballet, we are all in trouble.

March 17, 2011 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  5. KellyinTx

Oh do tell us how great you are Donald...we can't waite to tell you how great we think you are!

March 17, 2011 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  6. Lolo

Would these idiots just give it up. Mr. Trump needs to tells us how he keeps filing bankruptcy and still comes out on top at the end of the day. Big crook.

March 17, 2011 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  7. c

"he grew up and nobody knew him" oh, there's proof for ya'!!! I grew up in Corsicana, TX and I guarantee you nobody there knows me. And, “Let me tell you, I’m a really smart guy. I was a really good student at the best school in the country." After this interview, that's debatable.

March 17, 2011 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  8. Steven

This shows everyone that Trump isn't serious. Instead of talking about issues that concern regular people, he is stuck in the birther crap of the really demented racist clique of the Republican party. He is speaking out of jealousy I think that many feel about Barack Obama, and for Trump, it's like, I'm richer than Obama, I am white, if he did it, I can also do it.
    What Trump really doesn't know is that, it's also about how you carry yourself. coupled with what people see as your plan to put this country back to work.
    Trump if he sticks with the birther group, he will end up like Rudy Guilliane who thought that the three nouns 911 will propel him to the presidency.
    Mr. Trump, stick with reaping off people in the real estate business.

March 17, 2011 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  9. teepee

Trump, you are fired before you get started

March 17, 2011 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  10. BD70

No one I went to kindergarten with remembers me either. Nor first, second, third, fourth or 5th grade. My family moved around quite a bit. Didn't settle until they bought a house where I attended 6th thru 12th grade in the school district. Now they remember me. Oh and Mr Trump? Your opinions are yours but I wouldn't vote for you or any of the mentioned conservatives above.

March 17, 2011 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  11. beevee

Whos is this moron trying to stir up lies just to get public attention. Mr. Trump you have no chance of ever becoming president of this country. Please stop spreading lies and talk about issues that are important to get the country out from its quagmire.

March 17, 2011 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  12. Lindsay

Tell Uncle Donald that if he can't even run his casinos in NJ successfully (all of them have been in bankruptcy) how can even HE be arrogant enough to think he can run this country successfully?

Life under The Donald: the uber-rich in this country enjoying all the fruits of OUR (i.e., we, the subservient dogs who serve the rich) labors. Oh yeah, Donald, that'd be great. FOR GREEDY, RICH PIGS LIKE YOU. It would bang the last nail into the Middle Class's coffin. Exactly what you and ALL PIG REPUBLICANS want.

March 17, 2011 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  13. Tony

Not you too, Donald. No way Hillary Clinton and John McCain would have allowed Obama to run if he were not eligible. Both of them had over 100 million in campaign war chests. They could have afforded lawyers to keep Obama out if there were any evidence .

March 17, 2011 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  14. Kevin

What a pompous bag of hot air this guy is. He spends more time fixing the nest on his head than he spends putting viable information about politics in it.

March 17, 2011 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  15. Richard

I wonder how many people remember trump. Millions remember him now. He's gone into bankruptcy a few times. As George Will said about gingrich and huckabee–wouldn't have him run a lemonade stand, that goes double for trump. He thinks he would get legislation through congress, this guy lives in his own world. I would like to hear again about his CFO trying to get him to live on $200,000 a month. That's just his pocket money. Has nothing to do with his ependitures for the basice necessities.

March 17, 2011 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  16. Very Concerned

Could it be that he was home schooled for a good part of his young life? I respect Trump very much, but very good schools can;t teach common sense.

March 17, 2011 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  17. JasonP

Good, one more reason to despise this man.

March 17, 2011 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  18. Bob Dog

This is wonderful news.

America can now completely write-off Mr. Trump as just another pompous, self-serving, ego-maniacal, republican donkey.

Mr. Trump has absolutely nothing of any value to offer anyone.

March 17, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  19. teepee

I could not vote for anyone with hair like that...don't trust him...

March 17, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  20. CathyinAZ

This man has no room to talk – on top of his baggage he feels Sarah Palin was more qualified that Barak Obama WRONG –
    Save your money and spare the American public months of having to listen to your crap – the GOP better find SOMEONE who has better credentials than the group they are putting forth now – NEVER have voted GOP and NEVER will.

March 17, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  21. c

Yet another Republican presidential hopeful that opens his/her mouth and proves they are an idiot.

March 17, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  22. BM from Bensenville

Trump for President??? who is he crappin'? Another narcissist that needs to be in the lime-light. The one thing he sure can do for this country is file for bankruptcy. What a leader he would make. How many times now does that make where he has needed to be bailed out? Phoney as they come and not a single valued charactertistic in his body. Yeah, can't wait for this to happen, RIGHT!!

March 17, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  23. Chris Iyogun

Trump is a big joke. Very arrogant and thinks the world revolves around him. Will fail woefully should he decide to put his hat in the ring. Not a fan of the Donald.

March 17, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  24. Anthony R. Seta

Trump as a birther??? Well that settles it... he really is running for the republican nomination. Trump would not have made such a rediculous overt pandering effort to republican base/primary voters if he was only flirting with a presidential run for 2012. He is now 'all in'. He really had the makings of a non-traditional candidate in an over-crowded field of GOP traditionalists. Trump claims he is a smart guy. I don't doubt that his brain can compute and analyze data and information better than most others, but this action on his part does not qualify as 'smart'. His fan base and friend base from the vast majority of normal and marginally political folks throughout the land will certainly have a different perspective on Trump after this statement. I guess that I can only shake my head and conclude this post with a profound sense of disappointment in this man.

March 17, 2011 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  25. mtrought

And people actually respect this guy? But I guess when you are nut case but have inherited monies you can get away with a lot, eh. TRUMPED! It is amazing how we will do ANYTHING FOR MONEY including interviewing the scrap heap

March 17, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |