Trump says he has doubts about Obama’s birth place
March 17th, 2011

Trump says he has doubts about Obama’s birth place

(CNN) – Donald Trump, the business mogul who continues to claim he is seriously interested in mounting a bid for the White House, says he has doubts about whether President Obama was born in the United States.

In an interview with ABC, Trump said he finds it strange “nobody knew” Obama as a young child in Hawaii.

“Let me tell you, I’m a really smart guy. I was a really good student at the best school in the country. The reason I have a little doubt, just a little, is because he grew up and nobody knew him,” Trump said in the interview that aired Thursday.

“If I got the nomination, if I decide to run, you may go back and interview people from my kindergarten. They'll remember me. Nobody comes forward. Nobody knows who he is until later in his life. It's very strange,” the Celebrity Apprentice host added. “The whole thing is very strange.”

Current Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie has said he was a friend of Obama’s parents in Hawaii and remembers when the future president was born. Abercrombie, a former congressman who became governor last December, vowed to produce an original copy of Obama’s birth certificate but abandoned those efforts earlier this year because it is against state law to release private documents, according to his spokeswoman.

In 2008, the Obama campaign produced a certification of live birth that reports his birthplace as Honolulu, Hawaii. He attended kindergarten there before moving to Jakarta, Indonesia with his stepfather at age six. Katherine Nakamoto, Obama’s kindergarten teacher, described the then-five-year old to the Maui News in 2009: “He was a cute, likable, heavy build-child. I could visualize Barry smiling, dressed in his long-sleeved, white shirt tucked into his brown Bermuda shorts, and wearing laced shoes."

In the interview with ABC, Trump also said he would be willing to spend $600 million on his own presidential bid and ran through his opinions of his possible opponents.

Mitt Romney? “He doesn’t resonate.”

Tim Pawlenty? “I don't think he will captivate the voters.”

Jon Huntsman? “When you work for somebody else, as he has worked for Barack Obama, you don't leave and run against that person. It's very disloyal.”

Mike Huckabee? “I really like him. He's the kind of a guy that maybe could really get some votes.”

Sarah Palin? “She did fine as the governor. I think, personally, she made a tragic mistake when she left early. I think she's more qualified than Barack Obama was when he became president.

Newt Gingrich? “You know why I like Gingrich? He just joined my club in New York.”

Filed under: Donald Trump • President Obama
  1. Larry L

Donald Trump is either reaching out for the moronic fringe of the right-wing or he is a member of that population. I suppose racism isn't confined to the no-tooth poor of the lower classes. I'm confident Donald has people crunching the numbers to weigh the impact of hateful comments. As an independent voter I'm feeling the pull of the Democrat Party toward the only viable leadership option available. The GOP has become a collection of hateful clowns, too ridiculous to consider as the leader's of our country. I want mature, thoughtful, and well-educated leaders to move us toward the future. I do not want the hateful, bigoted, and openly dishonest politicians offered to me from the Republican circus train. I suppose my options are already obvious.

March 17, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  2. Ernie

I want everyone to read this paragraph real carefully.

This is the most puzzling part of the paragraph: Abercrombie, a former congressman who became governor last December, vowed to produce an original copy of Obama’s birth certificate, but now he can't because the law forbids him.
    The governor can do what ever he wants, Governor Abercrombie could find out in 5 minutes. So who is protecting who.

Here's another fact, class pictures are always taken where is the kindergarten picture of all the students in Obama's kindergarten class. If there's is one it no longer exists. Donald Trump is a man who deals in "FACTS" not fiction. Obama said change is going to come well I hope everyone likes his change it hasn't helpe anyone yet.

March 17, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  3. Edwin in Coralville IA

Dreamer...sorry but you are fired.

March 17, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  4. No tea, coffee only

Ahh yes, the quest by the GOP "candidates" to see who can out-loon who. They may all race to the bottom on their way towards irrelevance. They don't quite get that the majority of the US is laughing AT them, not with them...

March 17, 2011 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  5. SAY WHAT!!!

You are fired!!! Don't need trash talking, arrogant, bankruptcy filer for President. You A-hole are definitely fired. Tell you what save your money because we don't want to see you file another bankruptcy.

March 17, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  6. Epihpany

Trump is a rich businessman, and he needs to stick to his day job of playing Mr rich on his Apprentice show. I take it as I see it, Trump is a guy who finds ways of getting money for himself. For a working American, I don't see how he could ever relate to the majority of other Americans out there. I wouldn't vote for the guy already, the position he's in already involves large amounts of greed, and greed folks, well we've seen where that got us.

March 17, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  7. Various_Authors

One other thing. Stupid comments like "I like Newt Gingrich because he just joined my club" are one reason Trump will never be president. As smart as he thinks he is, he speaks like an idiot.

March 17, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  8. Nancy

Ignorance doesn't go away just because your wealthy. His comment about Palin just about sums it all up for Trump. He doesn't have a chance.

March 17, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  9. mike

this idiot is another republican trying to play up to his base lets get real here trump isn't black and when president Obama was growing up the white people didn't hang around with black people if there were any in the same collage that Obama was going to you see people again fail to realize that at that time racism was alive and well and for people to say they new him as a boy is far an few between if any at all remember his mom was white his grandfather live in Kansas what does that tell you get a life

March 17, 2011 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  10. Obama is, always will be my President

You said you was really smart guy I didn't. and to think that Palin would make a better president that President Obama show how smart you are.

March 17, 2011 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  11. ConservaFascists/F.U.B.A.R.

Way to get yourself hated more than you already are Donald. I don't know why you will even entertain the notion. Trying to appeal to the fringe right wing is not going too get you far. Watch the ratings of the Apprentice plummet. If I have any money invested in any branded by "Trump," I'll be pulling my $ out ASAP. Americans don't like bigots!!!

March 17, 2011 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  12. Mikey

Is he trying to ingratiate himself with the birthers or is he actually that stupid, too?

March 17, 2011 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  13. ctrlfreq

why in the world would anyone care what this idiot says or does? our nation makes me depressed.

March 17, 2011 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  14. Tim

Who cares if Donald Trump has doubts about the President being born in Hawaii? Just more right wing nonsense

March 17, 2011 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  15. Ray

Blah, Blah, Blah, the Donald likes to hear himself talk. Not everyone is a loud mouth like you.. You're FIRED!!!

March 17, 2011 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  16. Realistic

Trump you have lost my vote if you decide to run. Anyone who brings the *birther* issue up proves that they will say anything to appease the fanatics of the right and thus proves that they are dangerous. However, honestly I would not vote for you even if you didn't bring up teh birther issue because no matter how much you have, you are dishonest, a loud mouth and untrust worthy. Now if you think Palin is more qualified than president Obama than you are just an idiot.

March 17, 2011 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  17. cregis

I for one would never vote for Trump, although his ego is common place in Washington. Guess his hair would accompany him?

March 17, 2011 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  18. COlady

Why are we even giving this idiot the time of day?

March 17, 2011 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  19. Joey

it would be very sad if a moron like donald trump became president. what the hell does a real estate mogul know about running a country? you can't just fire anyone that doesn't do what you want them to do. and if he thinks sarah palin was better qualified to be the president that just shows how ill informed this troglodyte is.

March 17, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  20. JohnBurg

Trump,
    of course no one knows about Obama's childhood. Do we know the childhood of many people who rose from poverty? No, of course not. Not everyone is born to a rich real estate agent like Mr. Trump. This country is not equal. The childhood of rich children is recorded and they will 9 times out of 10 inherit that wealth, whether literally or through social status. The childhood of poor children is not recorded; they are nobodies; maybe 1/100 will even manage a buisness and only 1/1billion has a chance of becoming president. Sorry, Mr. Trump. The reason no one knew Obama is because he was a nobody whose daddy didn't create his status, fame, and wealth for him.

March 17, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  21. Truthman

No problem Donald! All of us who have a brain have major doubts about you. You meet none of the expectations of values voters. You meet none of the expectations of working Americans. Your service as an American has always been centered around you, rather than the interests of America. Why don't you just settle for a good haircut? My guess is that if you did end up getting the presidency, you'd end up no different than many of the fascists now sitting in congress and working for Fox. Another characteristic of fascism is the belief that one man one vote one time is a license to strip America of its democratic (as in democracy) institutions, just like in Europe of the 1930s. IF we fail to learn from history, we are bound to repeat its mistakes (can't remember the genius who coined that term).

March 17, 2011 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  22. Mary

He is pandering to the far-right Republican base. These myths have been debunked so many times. "Let me tell you, I am a really smart guy." Really? Really smart? I have my doubts.

March 17, 2011 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  23. EatRunDive

What a moron! Sure hope he runs!!!

March 17, 2011 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  24. Jackson

Trump is an idiot and a loud mouth talker..

March 17, 2011 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  25. Mr. Davidson

Trump may be jumping the gun a little but this is definitely an issue which will have repercussions because of the uncertainty and the implications . First, the governor and the Attorney General of Hawaii knew, the person who the original certificate belongs to need make the request,so why did they keep the public in suspense for over a year,supposedly searching the archives. The Governors statement was conspicuously released in the week before the Supreme court denied the recent case to challenge the Gibbs replica or copied facsimile which was released to the media two years ago,also throwing additional scrutiny upon that still undocumented copy because how would have Gibbs attained the original to copy if one has never to have been proven to exist.Ultimately the Supreme court decision was based upon the complexity which has never been proven and would not only bring the President himself into scrutiny but the Governor and ATT gen. the replica ,original itself to subpeona and ex Sec. Gibbs

March 17, 2011 10:07 am at 10:07 am |