Trump says he has doubts about Obama’s birth place
March 17th, 2011

Trump says he has doubts about Obama’s birth place

(CNN) – Donald Trump, the business mogul who continues to claim he is seriously interested in mounting a bid for the White House, says he has doubts about whether President Obama was born in the United States.

In an interview with ABC, Trump said he finds it strange “nobody knew” Obama as a young child in Hawaii.

“Let me tell you, I’m a really smart guy. I was a really good student at the best school in the country. The reason I have a little doubt, just a little, is because he grew up and nobody knew him,” Trump said in the interview that aired Thursday.

“If I got the nomination, if I decide to run, you may go back and interview people from my kindergarten. They'll remember me. Nobody comes forward. Nobody knows who he is until later in his life. It's very strange,” the Celebrity Apprentice host added. “The whole thing is very strange.”

Current Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie has said he was a friend of Obama’s parents in Hawaii and remembers when the future president was born. Abercrombie, a former congressman who became governor last December, vowed to produce an original copy of Obama’s birth certificate but abandoned those efforts earlier this year because it is against state law to release private documents, according to his spokeswoman.

In 2008, the Obama campaign produced a certification of live birth that reports his birthplace as Honolulu, Hawaii. He attended kindergarten there before moving to Jakarta, Indonesia with his stepfather at age six. Katherine Nakamoto, Obama’s kindergarten teacher, described the then-five-year old to the Maui News in 2009: “He was a cute, likable, heavy build-child. I could visualize Barry smiling, dressed in his long-sleeved, white shirt tucked into his brown Bermuda shorts, and wearing laced shoes."

In the interview with ABC, Trump also said he would be willing to spend $600 million on his own presidential bid and ran through his opinions of his possible opponents.

Mitt Romney? “He doesn’t resonate.”

Tim Pawlenty? “I don't think he will captivate the voters.”

Jon Huntsman? “When you work for somebody else, as he has worked for Barack Obama, you don't leave and run against that person. It's very disloyal.”

Mike Huckabee? “I really like him. He's the kind of a guy that maybe could really get some votes.”

Sarah Palin? “She did fine as the governor. I think, personally, she made a tragic mistake when she left early. I think she's more qualified than Barack Obama was when he became president.

Newt Gingrich? “You know why I like Gingrich? He just joined my club in New York.”

Filed under: Donald Trump • President Obama
  1. jimbo

Awesome !! Finally some prominent person has the cajones to call it like it is...good for the Donald...
    go Donald go... many people would love to have you in our White House..We know you love America... Obama doesnt. and he wasnt born in Hawaii either...

March 17, 2011 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  2. A guy

I can't trust a man with that much money and hair like that.

March 17, 2011 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  3. PD.

Really, the 'Donald'? Give us a break. Trump will do anything for the spot-light. His 'decision' on running for Pres. is pure bunk. How stupid does he think Americans are?

March 17, 2011 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  4. Edgar

Mr. Trump is so full of it. Excessive amounts of hairspray on your hair may affect your brain. He will never be elected as President of the United States, clowns are not presidential material.

March 17, 2011 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  5. Canuck

Does anybody care what Trump thinks??

March 17, 2011 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  6. Pat

Mr. Trump, you are not as smart as you think you are. You may have just single-handedly ruined any chance to be a serious contender for the job.

March 17, 2011 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  7. a in austin

Another born with the silver spoon in his mouth – if it wasn't for bankruptcy courts, Trump would be a has been...

March 17, 2011 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  8. The unsub

Mr. Trump you are the weakest link. Goodbye!

March 17, 2011 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  9. The Acqua

Trump does not hold back any punches, an old school American. Trump's $600 million could definately help the republicans compete with Obama's potential $1 Billion war chest. That itself would save America money giving political donations. I know people on the blogs are going to tear him apart, but what he is saying resonates a lot of thoughts in back of the mind of a majority of Americans. Plus Trump is so wealthy, he could not be bought and sold through lobbyists and special interests. Plus he is very anti-war.
    Trump's Platform: Build America, not foreign countries. Renegotiate America's Global Trade Deals. Rebuild Respect for America around the world. Rebuild the Dollar. Rebuild the Economy.

What he is saying sounds to good to be true. I am voting for him. I don't care what anyone thinks. He has probably created tens of thousands, or maybe hundreds of thousands of jobs. On top of that he has made his wealth through building things, not through getting lucky in the stock market or participating in hedge funds.

March 17, 2011 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  10. Lucullus

What a piece of crap. Trump is the perfect republican candidate. He'll say anything, including stupidity like that to get elected. He represents all that's bad with capitalism. He's a corporate leader and cares nothing for the average American. Since the country is owned lock, stock, and barrel by the corporate interests why should one of their own be president?

March 17, 2011 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  11. toadstool

He just lost my vote.

March 17, 2011 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  12. Mark Smith

Trump.......really? Maybe he will get Palin to run as his Vice Pres.

March 17, 2011 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  13. cambob

Not a single baby from the nursery remembers me. I might be an alien.Can I be president now?

March 17, 2011 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  14. mukazzi

The day, the minute, the very SECOND that I decide -as a Black woman- to allow ANY person such as Trump's ilk (and feel free to break that down in EVERY day) to acknowledge and DECLARE my right to exist will be the moment before I feel my ancestors walk all over my grave.

March 17, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  15. McMurphy

As my clock says each day "cuckoo, cuckoo"...

March 17, 2011 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  16. Lynda/Minnesota

“Let me tell you, I’m a really smart guy."

Too, too funny, Donald. Hey, GOPers. Sooner or later you'all are going to have to get really serious and actually nominate a candidate from your side of the aisle to run against President Obama. It'd be best to lay aside the theatrics and comedy now being displayed for the media and actually consider what is at stake. America IS laughing you know. At you, not with you.

March 17, 2011 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  17. felicia

how much tax payers dollars did Americans loose when this smart guy filed for bankruptcy??

March 17, 2011 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  18. moabie

Sleazebag Trump will say or do anything that serves his purposes. Fortunately, he is not electable, tv or no...

March 17, 2011 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  19. John

Donald Trump? Subject to the influence of bad hair days.

March 17, 2011 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  20. Rick

Trump can't be serious. I he claims to be buying into this birther nonsnse, it only proves that he is just another political opportunist trying to curry favor with the lunatic fringe wing of the Republican party. He claims that no one in Hawaii knew President Obama as a young child. Maybe he shoud have asked the current Governor of Hawaii.

March 17, 2011 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  21. average jo

Oh Mr.Trump,you sound like Palin and Teaparty? You just hung your nomination with a golden rope,sir! I used to like you Donald,you sure as h-- are "FIRED" with my vote. No Teaparty crazys. Thankyou.

March 17, 2011 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  22. angieb09

I have doubts about Trump hair, geez dude get a life

March 17, 2011 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  23. Antonio Rubio

Trump will say he believes whatever he thinks he needs to say to get elected. Next we'll find out he's an evangelical Christian with strong opinions on abortion.

March 17, 2011 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  24. Dawn

Donald Trump should be embarrassed. He is basically a joke with his beauty pageants, tv show, and Rosie O'Donnell feud. He should absolutely know better and is pandering to the Birthers out there.

March 17, 2011 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  25. RRR

Shutup and go mind your own loss making businesses. As for the ivy school, we know how you got in. You are an arrogant Moron who should lose every cent you have. And for god sake, stop wearing those phony wigs, you look dunber than dumb.

March 17, 2011 10:16 am at 10:16 am |