Trump says he has doubts about Obama’s birth place
March 17th, 2011

Trump says he has doubts about Obama’s birth place

(CNN) – Donald Trump, the business mogul who continues to claim he is seriously interested in mounting a bid for the White House, says he has doubts about whether President Obama was born in the United States.

In an interview with ABC, Trump said he finds it strange “nobody knew” Obama as a young child in Hawaii.

“Let me tell you, I’m a really smart guy. I was a really good student at the best school in the country. The reason I have a little doubt, just a little, is because he grew up and nobody knew him,” Trump said in the interview that aired Thursday.

“If I got the nomination, if I decide to run, you may go back and interview people from my kindergarten. They'll remember me. Nobody comes forward. Nobody knows who he is until later in his life. It's very strange,” the Celebrity Apprentice host added. “The whole thing is very strange.”

Current Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie has said he was a friend of Obama’s parents in Hawaii and remembers when the future president was born. Abercrombie, a former congressman who became governor last December, vowed to produce an original copy of Obama’s birth certificate but abandoned those efforts earlier this year because it is against state law to release private documents, according to his spokeswoman.

In 2008, the Obama campaign produced a certification of live birth that reports his birthplace as Honolulu, Hawaii. He attended kindergarten there before moving to Jakarta, Indonesia with his stepfather at age six. Katherine Nakamoto, Obama’s kindergarten teacher, described the then-five-year old to the Maui News in 2009: “He was a cute, likable, heavy build-child. I could visualize Barry smiling, dressed in his long-sleeved, white shirt tucked into his brown Bermuda shorts, and wearing laced shoes."

In the interview with ABC, Trump also said he would be willing to spend $600 million on his own presidential bid and ran through his opinions of his possible opponents.

Mitt Romney? “He doesn’t resonate.”

Tim Pawlenty? “I don't think he will captivate the voters.”

Jon Huntsman? “When you work for somebody else, as he has worked for Barack Obama, you don't leave and run against that person. It's very disloyal.”

Mike Huckabee? “I really like him. He's the kind of a guy that maybe could really get some votes.”

Sarah Palin? “She did fine as the governor. I think, personally, she made a tragic mistake when she left early. I think she's more qualified than Barack Obama was when he became president.

Newt Gingrich? “You know why I like Gingrich? He just joined my club in New York.”

Filed under: Donald Trump • President Obama
  1. Stan

No kidding, I suppose we all are supposed to be popular egotistical imbeciles who believe we are geniuses. Personally, I'd be ashamed if I knew this greedy old moron as a kid, the more I see this man's face on the news the more I despise him. What is next? perhaps 9/11 was truly the work of the C.I.A

March 17, 2011 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  2. Dominican mama 4 Obama

What do you have doubts about, that Hawaii is a state???
    Don't look now Don, but your slimyness is showing through.
    You're now a full-fledged member of the GObP. Yet I will tell you that the ONLY reason they put up with you is because of your MONEY. When you make reasonable remarks AGAINST one of the GOP's own (Huntsman) that pack of wolves that you cal members of your Party would normally eat you alive. But I guess when you have the million$ that you do Don, they can overlook a little traitorous indescretion.

March 17, 2011 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  3. Bob in PA

Where is that little old lady from the Wendy's "Where's the Beef ?” commercials ?

Everything about this guy has been and continues to be hidden from public scrutiny.
    The guy is graduated from Law school and he has never once held a real job ? How does one pay for Law School being Community Organizer?
    What were his grades like ? Oh the school can't find his transcripts ?
    Can we see his formal Birth Certificate ? What's that ? Not even the Governor of Hawaii can't even locate it ?
    His paternal grandmother claims she was present for his birth in Kenya ? Oh, I see, she is just a crazy old lady trying to brag about her grandson.

March 17, 2011 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  4. mjw

Here we go again! Another person wanting to buy the presidency knowing he would never win. I don't think Americans will buy the three marriage thing, plus current wife is just barely learing to speak in english. Talking about the kettle calling the pot black. He does not believe the president was born in Hawaii and I suppose therefore not qualified to be POTUS, but his wife who we know just recently came to the US is qualified to be FLOTUS. I do not understand the hypocrisy of (dare I say it) white folks. The bottom line in all these naysayers they did not believe a black man could ever become POTUS and the will do whatever it takes to undo it. Sorry folks "your second layer is showing."

March 17, 2011 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  5. Uh Oh...

Well, there goes my interest in Donald Trump. Now that he's admitted to being a "birther" I will dismiss his presidential campaign.

March 17, 2011 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  6. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

Hey Donald, how about confronting the fact that you have denied ever filing for bankruptcy when there are records showing you have filed three, executive protection bankruptcies?! The difference here Donald is that the garbage about Obama has been refuted, even decided on by a conservative Supreme Court, while you stand pat on the idea that what you say about your biz goes for fact in the face of overwhelming proof to the contrary.

Is this part of your campaign slogan of don't do as I do but do as I say?

Hey, Donald,..............you're fired!!!!!!!

March 17, 2011 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  7. philojazz

Now, I don't believe in God, but SOMEBODY had better help us if Donald Trump ever gets elected President.

March 17, 2011 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  8. Diana from Texas

I always thought that the Donald was a sick puppy, know I KNOW he IS a sick puppy. He plans to BUY the presidency with his millions then take the American public to the cleaners.

March 17, 2011 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  9. SayWhat

“Let me tell you, I’m a really smart guy."

Keep telling yourself that. That's why you are clinging to a non-issue.

March 17, 2011 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  10. donkey party

I knew Trump was an egomaniac, but a birther idiot too? You just torpedoed your political career, Donald.

March 17, 2011 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  11. StrategicBob

Donald Trump is a "really smart guy"? You could not prove it by anything he says. He may be clever in business but he is dumb as a stump in so many other ways. Which means he fits right in with today's Know Nothing party, the GOP and its tea bagger subsidiary.

March 17, 2011 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  12. runswithbeer

I would ask Donald Trump to prove that HE is an American beyond the same level that President Obama has. I would guess that 75% of Americans CANNOT. I CANNOT. I can't even prove to my self with 100% Court of Law Level Legally that I am a Native born American. I have no recollection of the event, my parents are long dead, the Doctor on the Certificate is long dead. I have to rely on a SINGLE Government Duplicated Document that I AM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN. Evidently my WORD is not good enough. Evidently my BELIEF that I AM AN AMERICAN IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH. And I fear the next time the Government takes issue with my political beliefs that they will run me out of the country.

"The Obama campaign produced a certification of live birth that reports his birthplace as Honolulu, Hawaii. He attended kindergarten there before moving to Jakarta, Indonesia with his stepfather at age six. Katherine Nakamoto, Obama’s kindergarten teacher, described the then-five-year old to the Maui News in 2009: “He was a cute, likable, heavy build-child. I could visualize Barry smiling, dressed in his long-sleeved, white shirt tucked into his brown Bermuda shorts, and wearing laced shoes.""

March 17, 2011 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  13. BJs65

Gee Donald – I have doubts about yours too. Perhaps you're from Mars? With that hairdo, I wouldn't be surprised.

Keep showing your stupidity. It will do wonders for your image!

March 17, 2011 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  14. RG

Nothing to hide Donald? What's under that comb-over?
    This is why this nut-job has no chance of winning.

March 17, 2011 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  15. Kevin

This man is a Joke, if we elect an idiot birther we deserve every thing we get.

March 17, 2011 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  16. Tx Democrat

OK.. here's another republican nut. What are you trying to do Trump.... get you name in the news with that crazy republican rhetoric. Stick with your reality tv show.

March 17, 2011 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  17. Russ

That's good, because that will drop him off the map of candidates. Puts him right up there with Bauchmann and Palin. In other words, he wouldn't stand a chance making ignorant statements like that.

March 17, 2011 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  18. chelle

Wow – just wow. The fact that Donald Trump lends credence to this nonsense gives me just one more reason to dislike him. Perhaps he should stick to firing people and going bankrupt.

March 17, 2011 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  19. Who Cares?

That's odd. I have doubts Trump has a heart and soul.

March 17, 2011 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  20. mm

A shame. the man has business sense but not much common sense.

March 17, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  21. Bob from Pittsburgh

I don't remember my peers at age 6, except Anita, I use to pull her pony tail, other than that it was about 40 kids in the kindergarten class, I don't remember non of them.. I am a 56 year old engineer. I bet Trump doesn’t remember any of his peers either..

Trump will do what ever to get what he wants, even getting that low..

March 17, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  22. Darrell

Enough! The president was born in the USA and he is a citizen of the USA....Who cares what the Donald believes or says.

March 17, 2011 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  23. Al

That's how you lose your support when you go to the gutter like that Trump.

March 17, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  24. Jerry

The Donald 2012 , the only real hope for America

March 17, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  25. kelsey's grammar

Wow, yet another reason not to take the Trumpster seriously.

March 17, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |