If Palin were president
March 19th, 2011

If Palin were president

(CNN)-Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin slammed the Obama administration for "dithering" on Libya and accused fellow Republicans of "having the fighting instinct of sheep" while speaking overseas in India on Saturday.

While Palin's prepared remarks outlined her vision for America, her sharpest comments came during a Q-and-A session where she entertained 'if you were president'-style hypotheticals.

Palin was invited to deliver the keynote address at the India Today Conclave, an annual gathering of India's elite including business leaders, politicians and academics. It is sponsored by an Indian Communications company and named for the India Today magazine.

The potential presidential candidate addressed the importance of energy and the influence of India's relationship with the United States in prepared remarks titled "My Vision of America." But when she sat down for the question-and-answer session with the editor-in-chief of India Today, Aroon Purie, her attention turned to topics of a presidential nature.

She was asked how she would respond to certain events if she were president, including financial assistance to banks and Libya. On Libya she said "It would have been different." Remarking that the U.S. has a tradition of not criticizing the president's foreign policy on "foreign soil," she continued, "Certainly, there would have been more decisiveness, more commitment to those that are freedom fighters, that they know that America is on their side.

"There would have been more decisiveness, less dithering," Palin stated.

And of financial assistance given to banks she said that she'd rather "free markets decide who the winners and who the losers would be" instead of politicians.

"I don't think it was such a tough situation that it had to lead to the bailouts that our U.S. government engaged in," she stated. "What it led to is more debt."

Calling the Tea Party "a grassroots movement from the ground up" that is a "beautiful movement" that will grow and be more influential, Palin asserted that the Tea Party movement will "hold our politicians accountable."

She also shared lessons from the 2008 campaign trail, where she learned "You can't necessarily trust the mainstream media to accurately report on your record…your values...Not when those in the media already have their chosen one...You have to have the boldness and courage to set the record yourself."

Palin remarked that her approach is different than that of her GOP peers. "Too often Republicans have the fighting instinct of sheep and you know they're just going to sit back and take it…I don't have that within me…I will put my foot down and I will state the truth so that people have correct information and they can make decisions for themselves," she declared.

Palin also described herself as "independent" saying that "some Republican players within the Republican hierarchy don't really like that." And she revealed that "Todd Palin is not even registered with the Republican Party [in Alaska] because he's such an independent."

When asked why she lost the election, Palin joked that it was "because the media," but continued on to provide her insight on the views of the electorate saying "Candidate Obama had a strong campaign, he was the agent of change and though he was inexperienced and relatively unknown people so desired that change."

Purie noted that Palin "could have been a change too," and she responded, "I wasn't the top of the ticket. Remember? I'm not saying I should've been."

And when the conversation turned to the 2012 ticket, she quickly stated the she hasn't made a decision on whether to run. Observing that "there's plenty of time to deliberate," Palin affirmed that she is still thinking about a presidential candidacy.

She's also thought about Todd Palin's title if she became president. When asked if he would be called the "first man," Palin responded "Probably the first gentleman."

"Man, that's getting way ahead of ourselves, isn't it? Yes, it is," she said.

Filed under: 2012 • Sarah Palin
  1. GonzoinHouston

Have you ever stopped to think just how close we may have come to actually having President Sarah Palin? 6% or so of the popular vote in '08 and McCain having a heart attack in his advanced age. The GOP nominated her in '08 with the full intention of putting her a heartbeat away from The Button. Lord in Heaven, what were they thinking??

March 19, 2011 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  2. Joe citizen abroad

Wrong, but decisive. Didn't we have eight years of that not too long ago?

March 19, 2011 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  3. Tx Pappy

I would like to congratulate Rebecca Stewert and CNN for an honest and balanced column. I know other news outlets have misquoted Gov. Palin on this speech thereby proving her right about the dishonest media. Having watched the speech I see you have done your due diligence, and proven yourself a true professional.

March 19, 2011 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  4. Gerald in Austin, Texas

If Palin were president we'd ALL be able to see Russia from our houses.

March 19, 2011 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  5. Name Creole

we will all be dead with in a week!!!! And that's with any Republic party of no get to become President!!!! God HELP US ALL

March 19, 2011 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  6. Riley

She says it like it is. Obama dithers on a lot of things. I have no doubt she could do a far better job than Obama. BTW, I voted for Obama...NEVER AGAIN!!!!

March 19, 2011 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  7. David H

And once again the Koch-head of all Koch-heads provides no specifics when asked what she would do. My four year old nephew could have provided better answers. Why do news outlets continue to report on this nobody.

March 19, 2011 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  8. PerritoNoz

My cleaning lady would make better president candidate. At least she knows her limitations.

March 19, 2011 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  9. T-Bone

We would be in a worse position that we are in now. Oh wait she probably would have quit in her 1st year.

March 19, 2011 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  10. CAW in MD

So Sarah wouldn't have "dithered" on Libya? Okay, let's go there. What would you have done specifically, Sarah? Where would you have gotten the money and the resources to launch whatever it is you think you would do? How would you ensure that this military action doesn't increase the deficit? Do you have any idea who the leaders of the resistance are? Do you know what their political philosophies are? Are they any different than Gadaffi?

Of course Sarah doesn't know any of this - her world is a beautiful world of black and white choices, no shades of grey allowed. If we lived in that world it would be wonderful, but unfortunately we don't. That's why she should never be allowed into the White House except as a tourist – she just couldn't handle it.

March 19, 2011 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  11. Ramon F Herrera

What would Sarah do? Would she rely on advice from The First Gentleman? Would she appoint Joe The Plumber as Secretary of State??

March 19, 2011 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  12. Lonnie

I guess she wasn't "dithering" when she posted the cross-hairs map and refused to take it down, regardless of the consequences. After Gabby Gifford was shot in the head and others including a 9 year old child were killed she had the audacity to blame the media of "blood libel". She claims to be a "defender of the truth" but in reality she is a manufacturer of hate and lies.

March 19, 2011 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  13. Indy

Palin is nothing but a liar and she is the most anti American person out there. She has lied about her experience since she was the un vetted VP candidate. There is no doubt that the current administration will have a place in history for making one of the best and well thought out decisions on what actions to take in Libya. Palin should return home as a traitor for her tour of lies in India.When her record comes out in truth about her very short period as Governor all of America will know how she has lied since day one about her experience. There is something very wrong with the fact that Palin is out speaking to the world about her views on American politics when she had the shortest career possible in politics.

March 19, 2011 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  14. Ramon F Herrera

First words of Sarah in New Delhi:

"I am here to order more Tomahawks".

March 19, 2011 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  15. AZMom

All I hear from the republicans is how they would attack Libya, North Korea, Iran, etc. How many wars would they get us in? We haven't paid for the 2 we have now. Let's stop being the world police. I agree with the UN's actions in Libya but we aren't heading it thank goodness.

March 19, 2011 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  16. Rick

I read about 30 of the posts here and not one is in favor of this moron. Even her so called Tea Party supporters are bailing on this idiot!

March 19, 2011 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  17. Anonymous

who is in the right mind would vote for this celebrity-mindless woman

March 19, 2011 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  18. daveindenver

I'm not a Palin supporter, but I do enjoy watching liberal heads explode every time there is an an mention of her in the media. It's just good old fashion good enterainment.

March 19, 2011 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  19. David G

I can't believe that this women is given so much credibility. Is it because she is s women that no-one stands up to her. The Quitter from Wasilla" seems to always rationalize every thing she comments on. Some else is always at fault. Why doesn't she just Shut UP.

March 19, 2011 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  20. Andy

If Palin becomes President her first job will be to build a higher fence to stop the illegal immigrants/refugees from entering Canada.

March 19, 2011 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  21. Steve

I just pray go the gods she runs :)

March 19, 2011 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  22. CarlD

If I were President, I would quit half way my first term.
    If I were President, I would attack Libya without any partners...where is Libya btw?
    If I were President, I would give more tax cut to the wealthy...Yeah BABY I am one of them now woo oooo
    If I were President, I would repeal the Obamacare... I wealthy who need affordable healthcare...I am now part of the Cadillac insurance club, baby.

March 19, 2011 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  23. redjewel1

Why is the shrew in another country???
    If she became president i'm quite sure there
    would be a whole lot more Canadians.

March 19, 2011 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  24. Rondo

Being a governor means having more experience than this vacation taking community organizer. Remember, if we pass the Stimulus, unemployment will stay below 8% . It shot up to 10% right after that. Now we all owe a trillion for that blunder(the interest brings it to 1.161 Trillion) Tell that boy and his fat arse wife to stay in Brazil

March 19, 2011 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  25. Honestly!

Todd....will you PLEASE get your wife! Isn't she an embarrassment to you? If not, she should be. She is an idiot and you really need to real her in. Sick of this chic already!

March 19, 2011 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |