Trump's big give
March 22nd, 2011

Trump's big give

(CNN) – Potential presidential candidate Donald Trump told CNN's Poppy Harlow that his treatment of Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi in a real estate deal last year was "intelligent" and resulted in "more money that I would've gotten all year for this piece of land."

In his interview with CNN on Monday, Trump explained how he leased land to Gadhafi who intended to use it for a tent he would stay in while attending the United Nations General Assembly. In the end, Gadhafi was unable to pitch his tent at that location but had to pay out the lease anyway. And Trump says he forwarded the money to charity.

In another recent interview, Trump told Fox News he "screwed" Gadhafi on the deal.

In the CNN interview, Trump also explained how, based on his experience, he'd handle the conflict in Libya by demanding Arab nations pay for the military operation.

"We haven't done that."

Trump explained: "The first thing I'd do with Gadhafi is I'd go to the Arab league and I'd say, 'we'll do things…we'll do plenty of things but you're going to pay us for it.

We're not going to send our missiles out at a million and a half dollars per missile, we're not going to spend $500 million dollars on getting rid of Gadhafi and then you guys go home to your 747s,'" he continued.

And as far as dealing with Gadhafi personally, the real estate mogul delved into his past interaction with the Libyan leader when he spoke about a deal that the two entered.

"I deal with everyone," he said, "And I like that. What did I do with Gadhafi?"

"I leased him a piece of land for his tent. He paid me more than I'd get in a whole year. And then, eh, he wasn't able to use the piece of land. So people would say did I take advantage, did I-so I got, in one night, more money than I would've gotten all year for this piece of land up in Westchester and then, didn't let him use it. That's called being intelligent."

But Trump asserts he didn't keep the money he received from the deal, saying "And in fact, when I did it I said 'I'm gonna take Gadhafi's money, I'm not going to make it easy on him, and I'm going to give the money to charity.'

"And that's exactly what I did."

Filed under: Donald Trump • Uncategorized
  1. rob522

How can someone with so much money have such bad hair?

March 22, 2011 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  2. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Donald should not admit to Fox that he had a sexual encounter with the leader of Libya.

March 22, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  3. fayse

The Donald is disgusting and I seriously doubt that he donated that money to charity. He is looking for a cover story. The most telling thing is, that he actually thinks what he did was a good thing. I think that he just put himself in the same category as Gahadafi (sic) you know who I mean.

March 22, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  4. FiveTeeOneVee

You know, for half a nano-second I was thinking maybe, just maybe, Trump is what this country needs. It could work, someone who isnt afraid to stand up to China, or the wealthy interest that are rapping the coffers of this once great and prosperous country. Now I am thinking after this statement about how he screwed Gadaffi, that he is no different than Dick Cheyney or the Bushes. He will just take take and take more for himself, and do it with a smile. If he screwed Gadaffi (his won words), how do we know he will not have any trouble screwing the rest the of us? Once a thief, allways a thief.
    And further, if he really donated the money to charity, why didnt he name the charity so that could be verified? Donald Trump's ego is beyonf comprehension. He is BAD for this country in the same way Sarah Palin, Obama and George Bush are – they don't know what they are getting themselves into yet talk a smooth line.

What we need is beyond reach anymore, best to just give up on America.

March 22, 2011 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  5. Steve, New York City

Donald Trump is far more bizarre than I imagined. His asinine comments that seem to align him with the birthers, his crazy comments that align him with other elements of the far right (and what is the deal with his crazy haircut?).

This guy is good for a few laughs on a reality TV show (but that's about it).

March 22, 2011 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  6. dean

I don,t think I would "Brag" to much about doing deals with a serial killer-terrorist. Its just a GOOD thing your not in the Arms dealing trade? We would have had a Lot More Pan Am Autrocities. I quess I must be human, "I can,t forget about Lockerbie.

March 22, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  7. way2go

The Donald, like Dick Cheney with Haliburton, had no problems working with Lybia for a buck or two. I am afraid screwing Gadhafi out of money is what he is bragging about, but what he is really showing us is the true face of another Republican, going on their knees for the money. If you believe a Republican could act any other way, you might also believe in the Easter Bunny

March 22, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  8. willie floyd

Anyone who would vote for this "shyster" certainly doesn't think honesty, integrity, and morality are important traits in our leaders. Thankfully our president has all these things-including FAMILY VALUES. Does that tell you Reps. something???

March 22, 2011 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |