Trump again questions Obama's birthplace
March 23rd, 2011

Trump again questions Obama's birthplace

(CNN) – Real estate mogul Donald Trump called on President Barack Obama Wednesday to produce his birth certificate and prove he was born in the United States.

"I want him to show his birth certificate. I want him to show his birth certificate," Trump said on ABC's "The View." "There's something on that birth certificate that he doesn't like."

The potential 2012 presidential candidate said Obama was "probably" born in the U.S., but repeated questions he raised last week about the president's childhood.

"If you go back to my first grade, my kindergarten, people remember me. Nobody from those early years remembers him," Trump said. "If you're going to be president of the United States, it says very profoundly you have to be born in this country."

Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie said he was a friend of Obama's parents in Hawaii and remembers when the future president was born. Abercrombie, a fellow Democrat and longtime congressman who won election as governor last November, vowed to produce an original copy of the president's birth certificate. But he abandoned those efforts earlier this year because it is against state law to release private documents, according to his spokeswoman.

In 2008, the Obama presidential campaign produced a certification of live birth that reported his birthplace as Honolulu, Hawaii. He attended kindergarten there before moving to Jakarta, Indonesia with his stepfather at age six. Katherine Nakamoto, Obama's kindergarten teacher described in 2009 to the Maui News what Obama was like as a five year old: "He was a cute, likable, heavy build-child. I could visualize Barry smiling, dressed in his long-sleeved, white shirt tucked into his brown Bermuda shorts, and wearing laced shoes."

Trump's original comments last week won praise from one Tea Party leader.

"Donald Trump has joined a lot of really sane Americans. He, like us, does not believe Barack Obama," Judson Phillips, the founder of the Tea Party Nation, said in an email Saturday to his group's supporters. "The great thing about what Donald did is he said it and he did not flinch when he said it. A lot of the alleged conservative leaders have run like cockroaches when the lights are turned on from the eligibility issue. The fact that Trump will deal with that issue and deal with it head on raises his stock as a possible Presidential candidate in a lot of people's eyes."

In Wednesday's interview, Trump, who has said he is seriously considering a bid for the White House, changed the subject to America's standing in the world when asked what voters in the next presidential election might think of his three marriages.

"I think the country is doing so badly they want somebody that's going to help it," Trump said. "I think maybe ten years, five years ago, it would have mattered. I think people want somebody to protect them and protect the country."

– CNN's Paul Steinhauser and Alexander Mooney contributed to this report

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • President Obama
  1. Beverly

Trump needs to question his hair? Is it real or is it a golden throw rug?

March 23, 2011 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  2. Tanbiker2

Donald Trump is a truly loathsome person. He's obviously not an American.

March 23, 2011 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  3. Russ

Really hard to believe someone that has acheived so much, and lost it too, can be so niave. No, naive isn't the right word, stupid is a better word.

March 23, 2011 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  4. Bob, Virginia

With friends like Judson Phillips... the Donald proves he's an idiot.

March 23, 2011 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  5. Smokey

I have respect for Trump in the success he has made for himself. But at this point he is sounding like another crazed conspiracy theorist. Why people continue to go down this line of questioning, I'll never know. I mean get passed that, and actually talk about politics.

March 23, 2011 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  6. S. In California - Obama 2012

To borrow a phrase from then Candidate Obama IT'S SILLY SEASON.

I'll vote for our current president ANYDAY over these clowns at least he's serious and working hard for ALL Americans not just those who are rich – even though many are trying to portray him as slacking. He's not – he's just not announcing to the world what he's doing. King Solomon would call that WISDOM.
    God Bless America.

March 23, 2011 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  7. Michael McDonald

I wonder how much Trump is being paid by the Republican Party to sabotage Sarah Palin's campaign by running and taking a significant portion of her votes.

March 23, 2011 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  8. Ptown

Amazing!! I hope the president doesnt show his birth certificate. His birth certificate was good enough to get him the presidency. SCREW EVERYBODY ELSE!!!!!!

March 23, 2011 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  9. Tina in NC

I'm waiting for just one reporter to have the guts to ask any of these birther candidates to produce the same exact long form "original" bc they are demanding of the President. Just one. make them put up or shut up. Come on CNN! I dare you! As someone who has researched my family's genealogy for almost twenty years I find it so fascinating that this bs has continued to be covered. I challenge any birther to Stroll down to your local Register Of Deeds office or State Registar and ask about obtaining an original long form and see how far you get.

March 23, 2011 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  10. kelseyrev

Mr. Trump, let it go! If the president's citizenship was an issue, the Supreme Court would have taken care of it so fast, it would make your head spin. It's not an issue because if it was a real issue, it would have been constitutionally challeneged a long time ago. The 'citizenship questioning' spin needs to stop.

March 23, 2011 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  11. steven harnack

There's just nothing you can do about complete and utter idiots. You really can't fix willfully stupid.

March 23, 2011 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  12. thinkaboutit

I did'nt know Donald Trump was a bigot.

March 23, 2011 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  13. j. miller

What ever respect it had for Mr Trump just went down the toilet. I CANNOT believe he is that foolish a man to be on the side of the wacko birthers.

March 23, 2011 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  14. Rosslaw

I don't believe that's Trump's real hair. And he has the shifty, Al Queda look about him. And he does business with terrorists like Ghadaffi. On the plus side, he is beginning to make Sarah Palin look pretty smart by comparison.

March 23, 2011 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  15. Mtnjim

" 'Donald Trump has joined a lot of really sane Americans. He, like us, does not believe Barack Obama,' Judson Phillips, the founder of the Tea Party Nation, said in an email Saturday to his group's supporters."

HUH?? Care to run that by me again?? Sane??

March 23, 2011 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  16. JOhn

THe GOP is doomed and shows no sign of recovering. Rock throwing and hating is not leasdership. Nothing has changed since their disasterous reign of incompitence. The can court the uniformed and the stupid but betting against America has never worked in the past.

March 23, 2011 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  17. Mama

Funny how, just when Trump has become irrelevant, he decides to question Obama's birthplace on national TV.

March 23, 2011 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  18. Lisa

The current crop of GOP presidential contenders makes it really easy to vote for the incumbent.

I used to have a modicum of respect for The Donald. But with his comments on Obama's birth certificate and the fact that he is gloating about screwing over Ghadfy in a real estate deal, I can't even give him any respect. Oh, and he's lost a view in his Apprentice franchise. I will no longer consciously financially support this loon of a potential candidate.

As to Phillip's comment about joining the "sane" people, I think there was a typo - it should have read "insane" people. But then that could be construed as an insult for those truly insane.

March 23, 2011 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  19. Roger Ogilvy Thornhill

Ha! Are there any credible GOP candidates? I think the real ones are waiting for the loud-mouthed jerks to shoot their wads before announcing.

March 23, 2011 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  20. The Dude

Ummm, I just lost A LOT of respect for Trump if he's going for the "birther" vote. I mean, how many courts does this nonsense have to be thrown out of before people realize our current President WAS BORN IN AMERICA~?!

March 23, 2011 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  21. Jordan N.

Trump must be competing with Bachman and Palin for the moron vote. Let's see, aside from him already having shown his birth certificate (as well as an article in a local Hawaiian paper announcing his birth), perhaps no one remembers him from kindergarten because he wasn't in this country, as has been well-established? There's obviously nothing beneath that hair piece.

March 23, 2011 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  22. mims

Just lost what little respect I had for the man...

March 23, 2011 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  23. Sgt Schultz

Where is YOUR birth certificate? The Republican Party has been hj-jacked by a bunch of Robber Barons and illiterate nutjobs.
    The few remaining reasonable Republicans have been purged from the party...so all that's left are fruitloops and Robber Barons.

March 23, 2011 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  24. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Trump doesn't marry American women because there is "something about American women he doesn't like".

March 23, 2011 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  25. Bill

Trump is an idiot. I am not looking forward to the next election. Based on all who might run, this is going to make the last election (President) tame. Regardless what party you represent, you need to look at all the candidates and think: How will they REALLY will act based on the crisis going on today (Lybia, Japan, Afganastan, Iraq, Economy, Healthcare...)? They are going to have to make choices that will not be acceptable to their own party as well as their opposite. It's a thankless job. I mean..really...can we honestly think Trump is that guy? When is th tea party going to be over? I think the Mad Hatter (Judson Phillips) has overstayed his welcome.

March 23, 2011 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |