Trump again questions Obama's birthplace
March 23rd, 2011

Trump again questions Obama's birthplace

(CNN) – Real estate mogul Donald Trump called on President Barack Obama Wednesday to produce his birth certificate and prove he was born in the United States.

"I want him to show his birth certificate. I want him to show his birth certificate," Trump said on ABC's "The View." "There's something on that birth certificate that he doesn't like."

The potential 2012 presidential candidate said Obama was "probably" born in the U.S., but repeated questions he raised last week about the president's childhood.

"If you go back to my first grade, my kindergarten, people remember me. Nobody from those early years remembers him," Trump said. "If you're going to be president of the United States, it says very profoundly you have to be born in this country."

Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie said he was a friend of Obama's parents in Hawaii and remembers when the future president was born. Abercrombie, a fellow Democrat and longtime congressman who won election as governor last November, vowed to produce an original copy of the president's birth certificate. But he abandoned those efforts earlier this year because it is against state law to release private documents, according to his spokeswoman.

In 2008, the Obama presidential campaign produced a certification of live birth that reported his birthplace as Honolulu, Hawaii. He attended kindergarten there before moving to Jakarta, Indonesia with his stepfather at age six. Katherine Nakamoto, Obama's kindergarten teacher described in 2009 to the Maui News what Obama was like as a five year old: "He was a cute, likable, heavy build-child. I could visualize Barry smiling, dressed in his long-sleeved, white shirt tucked into his brown Bermuda shorts, and wearing laced shoes."

Trump's original comments last week won praise from one Tea Party leader.

"Donald Trump has joined a lot of really sane Americans. He, like us, does not believe Barack Obama," Judson Phillips, the founder of the Tea Party Nation, said in an email Saturday to his group's supporters. "The great thing about what Donald did is he said it and he did not flinch when he said it. A lot of the alleged conservative leaders have run like cockroaches when the lights are turned on from the eligibility issue. The fact that Trump will deal with that issue and deal with it head on raises his stock as a possible Presidential candidate in a lot of people's eyes."

In Wednesday's interview, Trump, who has said he is seriously considering a bid for the White House, changed the subject to America's standing in the world when asked what voters in the next presidential election might think of his three marriages.

"I think the country is doing so badly they want somebody that's going to help it," Trump said. "I think maybe ten years, five years ago, it would have mattered. I think people want somebody to protect them and protect the country."

– CNN's Paul Steinhauser and Alexander Mooney contributed to this report

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • President Obama
  1. KatR

Bithers keep asking Obama to show his birth certificate. He did but the birthers won't accept it. They say they want the "long form", something that doesn't exist. Even if that did exist, they would want something else. It's very clear to many, many, MANY Americans that Obama was born in the United States. WHY do they continue on this fruit loops request?

Because their narrow view of America cannot accept that a highly-intelligent, Harvard educated, brown-skinned man with a Muslim name could ever have been born and raised in our great nation.

March 23, 2011 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  2. Porkeydino

Obama should show trump the bird!

March 23, 2011 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  3. Darth Vadik, CA

If you ever wanted Donald Trump to see kiss someones behind, then this is it...LOL

This is embarrassing, then again if I had as many bankruptcies as Trump, I wouldn't show my face in public ever again...

March 23, 2011 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  4. ChodaRagu

Think about this logically for a moment you "birthers", please, I beg you! Do you really think the FBI would allow a person to be a serious canidate for president without doing a very detailed investigation of that person? Don't you think that if the FBI discovered that Obama wasn't born on in the U.S. that they'd "remind" him of that and tell him he's violating the law, and stop him if he continued? (That was Bush's FBI after all, that would have done the investigating.)

March 23, 2011 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  5. dani

What makes me laugh the most is how republicans never debate issues that are important to Americans. Instead the distract the public with things like the birth certificate issue, or how the will repeal health care, and take a step back instead of moving forward. The GOP is finished, hopefully all of us will be policitically active come 2012, and take the house back.

March 23, 2011 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  6. The Greedy Old Pigs are getting even crazier!

Trump has enough money to dial the crazy up to 13!

March 23, 2011 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  7. steph in TX

How can anyone take ANY Republican candidate seriously? It's like they're competing for the idiot vote!

March 23, 2011 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  8. David Wallace

Seriously, I don't know what's worse: the despicable losers who continue to beat this ridiculous issue to death, or CNN for continuing to validate it. Shame!

March 23, 2011 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  9. jesus christ

2012 = end of world.....nobody qualified to run America! I was gonna come back and save everyone, but have officially changed my mind. Please take down all roadside signs that state someday I will return. In my name you pray -Jesus

March 23, 2011 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  10. hoop

An appeal to the birther fringe shows me he has nothing substantive to offer regarding the challenges America faces.

March 23, 2011 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  11. William

Trump I think wants to be President but not as the Repblican nominee but I think he figures the only way he can win is to get Obama disqualified. Then he figures if it's me vs. Mitt Romney vs. Biden in a chaotic general election he can win.

March 23, 2011 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  12. they call me "tater salad"

I can't wait for the day a gust of wind sends this morons comb-over into a back flip.........Only someone like Trump could style his hair to look like a hair covered baseball cap or a fur turban and at the same time be arrogant enough to think it actually looks good!..........Only thing missing on this clown is over sized shoes and a red rubber nose!

March 23, 2011 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  13. MAC

I wish the Liberal Biased Elite Media would stop using birthers as a distraction to the real problem trying to be solved by some republicans and balance the budget, work to get ride of the deficit, and make government smaller. By the way if the media thinks Palin is not smart, she has a journalism degree like they do, so I guess the media is not that smart either.

March 23, 2011 07:55 pm at 7:55 pm |
  14. Benny

Here is all that needs to be said (again) – Presidential Candidate Barack Obama was vetted by the current administration at the time (the Republican Bush administration) and the United States Supreme Court, as is required by law. He did not present false documents, and the Bush administration, the Supreme Court, the Hillary Clinton campaign, the John McCain campaign, and anyone else who needed to be satisfied that Obama and all other candidates were lawfully qualified to run for President obviously got what they needed.

March 23, 2011 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  15. Jeff In Ohio

"For all of you who think he is God, doesn't it bother you just a little tiny bit that Obama has spent millions to keep this under wraps? "

God doesn't have a birth certificate. Don't you get that?

March 23, 2011 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  16. Sherman

First, you can't see the PRESIDENT'S birth certificate. He won't be able to see mine. Once again, we are given a model of stupidity.

March 23, 2011 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  17. Haren

A rich arrogant man if he says he screwed Gaddafi on business deal than I would think 100 time before I buy any of his property.

March 23, 2011 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  18. T.B. Harris

When my mother misplaced my birth certificate I requested another copy. Guess what? I received a Certificate of Live Birth with an official seal. When I inquired as to why I didn't receive an actual birth certificate I was told that the certificate I received was just as valid and all that I could get. When I changed my name after getting married, I took my marriage certificate and the Certificate of Live Birth to the Social Security office to receive a new SS card. Guess what? The document wasn't even questioned, person behind the glass didn't even blink. All you people (including Mr. Trump) who keep harping on a REAL "Birth Certificate" need to get a life. You can't get a Certificate of Live Birth stating you were born in the United States unless you were BORN in the United States. Find some other reason to discredit the President. This is lame and insignificant.

March 23, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  19. Moe NY

TB: Unfortunately you are 100% right.

March 23, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  20. thomas

Donald Trump / Haley Barbour 2012
    The Arrogant and the Ignorant ! How else will Trump carry the South .

March 23, 2011 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  21. John, Uk

Does Donald Trump have anything to prove his hair is originally from the United States?

March 23, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  22. mtrought

I think the Obama election has push the already crazy guy over the edge. He is now saying he screwed gadafi( I wonder if he romanced him first though).

March 23, 2011 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  23. Susan

OK, I admit that watching Celebrity Apprentice became a guilty pleasure last year and I had started to watch this year. Never again! I've lost all respect for Donald Trump and see what a novice he is as a Presidential candidate. Even John Boehner now admits Obama was American born in Hawaii.

March 23, 2011 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  24. jerry

You can't write this stuff. Well actually, you probably could, but you'd get laughed out of town if you tried to publish it. Run, Donald, run! Please run; there's so little really good entertainment out there anymore.

March 23, 2011 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  25. sean

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess agencies far more powerful, educated, and effective then Mr. Trump is on this issue investiagted the manner when Obama was running for president and found nothing, i'm gonna go further and guess the Clintons also investigated and found nothing

So logic and reason seem to be against Mr. Trump and other people mounting this argument. The simple truth is if you can't trust someone to be logical and reasonable about this, why should they be trusted to do it with other issues that effect the country as a whole

oh FYI Trump, the reason Obama's elementary school teachers don't remember him is because he was in Indonisia at that time, back then it was was possible to be born in one place and move somewhere else

March 23, 2011 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |