Gingrich: I’m not a hypocrite
March 27th, 2011

Gingrich: I’m not a hypocrite

Washington (CNN) - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Sunday that he expects to be running for president within a month.

“I think within a month, we’ll have that taken care of and we’ll be running,” Gingrich said on “Fox News Sunday.” “It’s my hope that all of this will work out and I’ll be able to run.”

Gingrich touted his “very good team” and the reception he has received during appearances in early presidential primary and caucus states.

“I have recently been in South Carolina, New Hampshire, Iowa, the places you need to go, as well as Texas, Florida and North Carolina,” Gingrich said. “The water is pretty warm. My hope is that within a month, we’ll be in swimming there very rapidly.”

The former Georgia congressman, who has been married three times, also addressed his past indiscretions - a perceived weakness for the potential candidate - saying he did things of which he is not proud.

“I don’t think I’m perfect. I admitted I had problems. I admitted that I sought forgiveness,” Gingrich said. “But I also think over time, if you look at my record, I’m a pretty effective leader.”

When asked if his involvement in the impeachment of former President Bill Clinton for lying under oath was hypocritical given his own past, he said “no,” because he was focused on the law, not Clinton’s private life.

“It’s not about personal behavior … it’s not about what he did in the Oval Office. You can condemn that. You can say it’s totally inappropriate,” Gingrich said. “But it was about a much deeper and more profound thing, which is: Does the president of the United States have to obey the law?”

Did he ever think that he “shouldn’t be throwing stones?”

“No,” Gingrich said. “I thought to myself if I cannot do what I have to do as a public leader, I would have resigned.”

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich
  1. Indy

Just because Newt thinks that God has forgiven him does not give him a pardon from the "We the People". Newt thinks that we should all forget his transgretions because (he) says God has forgiven him. Newt is very out of touch with reality and can never understand normal everyday Americans, he is mega rich and his lust for power and money have completly clouded his judgement process.

March 27, 2011 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  2. Proud member of "Global Zero"

He reminds me of someone...on yeah. Newt, just raise your arms a little higher, make the VEE sign and say, "I am not a crook". Different verse same as the first.

March 27, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  3. Seattle Sue

Gingrich says, I'm not a hypocrite I'm just a liar, a really big,big liar. But it's my God given right to be a big, big liar. So all you far right wing people don't blame me for lying, it just comes to me naturally. So hang in there people as I will change my story so I can disagree with President Obama.

March 27, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  4. Rayner

Mr. Gingrich. Please do not run for political office. You are an agent of divisiveness and bad for the country.

March 27, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  5. windrider2

"I am not a hypocrite" vs "I am not a crook". Same kind of lies, just a different Republican telling them.

March 27, 2011 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  6. Kent

This guy is a living breathing lying untruthful slug living a double standard life and willing to say anything to justify his indiscretions.

March 27, 2011 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  7. Al-NY,NY

yes u are. End of story

March 27, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  8. thomas

Newt Gingrich is not only a hypocrite , he's an arrogant blow hard pompidou who rewrites history to serve his own agenda .
    Have you read any of Newt's literary propaganda ? How he won the Alamo , He's days at Pearl Harbor or better yet his understanding of Women . And Newt's soon to be released autobiography , Do as I say , Not as I do !

March 27, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  9. Anthony

He focused on the law when it applied to someone else. Yes, this means that he is a hypocrite.

March 27, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  10. gar

Gingrich is not only a hypocrite of the worst order, he's an enemy of normal Americans. What a pathetic loser.

March 27, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  11. a in austin

Keep digging...at least you can keep spending those donations when are you "thinking" about running. Running nothing but your mouth...

March 27, 2011 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  12. Katy

I think he should run and make Palin his running mate! Go Obama 2012!

March 27, 2011 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  13. Candy Taylor

And Nixon said I am not a thief

March 27, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  14. Mike Chino Hills, Ca

Newt is everything that is wrong with the GOP. Newt fails to lead by example. He clearly divides the nation. I would never vote for a Liar and a Hypocrite like Newt. Save your Money Newt!!!

March 27, 2011 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  15. Martha in CF

Such a hypocrite....Who could ever believe anything this guy says...?????? He fits in well in the Redumblican party......

March 27, 2011 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  16. Pretzel Logic

Yeah and he wasn't hypocrite on the no fly zone either, right Newt? Go away please.

March 27, 2011 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  17. once upon a Horse

this guy is about a big a hypocrite as it comes and he showed it just this week with his flip/flopping on the POTUS and the Libya deal. He's for it when Obama hasn't done it, then against it when he does. He talks about Clinton while behind the scenes he's doing the same or worse. I hope the media keeps going after this guy and not let him off the hook. We don't need folks like Newt in office. Gives the nation a bad name worldwide.

March 27, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  18. dave

Nixon: "I am not a crook"
    Gingrich: "I am not a hypocrite"
    bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

March 27, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  19. Nadeem

Cost of removing one dictator from Iraq:
    – 2 Trillion US dollars and counting
    – 25,000 American lived

Cost of removing 3 dictators from Egypt, Tunisia, and Lybia
    – Contained within existing defense budget (no additional approriation nessessary)
    – Zero American lives

Look on neo-cons face as they flip flop and attack the President
    – Priceless

March 27, 2011 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  20. willie floyd

He's a lot more than just a hypocrite-and none of them are good. We have a president with TRUE FAMILY VALUES and I much prefer to remain with him. Americans are finally listening to what these hopefuls as well as the Rep, House are saying and what they are doing. SAYING-nothing but lies. DOING-nothing good!

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

March 27, 2011 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  21. GOP - the dumbing of America

well if he says he's not, I guess he must not be...don't pay attention to his actions, (calling for a no fly zone before being against a no fly zone once Obama approves it) just what he says, because Newt would never lie.

March 27, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  22. Beto

Another hypocrite republican who will lie, cheat and steal for their rich buddies. The rule of thumb on any politician is to look at their past record. The guy is a hater. America deserves better.

March 27, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  23. mike l

Gingrich isn't a hypocrite. He's a plain idiot. Forget his personal life, though I can't figure out how it is patriotic to carry on extra-marital affairs. His dumping on Obama for not getting us into Libya, then dumping on Obama for getting us into Libya is pure ginrich BS! He, like all the repubs running, are like spinning tops: get us involved, don't get us involved. And they say Obama can't make up his mind? There is not one repub out there that I could even consider voting for.

March 27, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  24. Marry

Gingrich: I’m not a hypocrite
    Ah – yes, you are! And I would like to ad: One of the biggest!
    But, what is more important: You have nothing to offer that the country needs! Seldom have we seen someone so quick to criticize others without ever having done any constructive work for the people of the country himself. But, of cause, that is what the GOP is all about these days. It is really unbelievable that a party that one’s had quite a few very respectable men and woman (may one agree with them or not) became so empty and only filled with one cause: Make the President of the US fail and “take the country back”!

March 27, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  25. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

Newt will ALWAYS be remembered as the one who put HIPPO in hypocrite!

March 27, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |