Gingrich: I’m not a hypocrite
March 27th, 2011

Gingrich: I’m not a hypocrite

Washington (CNN) - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Sunday that he expects to be running for president within a month.

“I think within a month, we’ll have that taken care of and we’ll be running,” Gingrich said on “Fox News Sunday.” “It’s my hope that all of this will work out and I’ll be able to run.”

Gingrich touted his “very good team” and the reception he has received during appearances in early presidential primary and caucus states.

“I have recently been in South Carolina, New Hampshire, Iowa, the places you need to go, as well as Texas, Florida and North Carolina,” Gingrich said. “The water is pretty warm. My hope is that within a month, we’ll be in swimming there very rapidly.”

The former Georgia congressman, who has been married three times, also addressed his past indiscretions - a perceived weakness for the potential candidate - saying he did things of which he is not proud.

“I don’t think I’m perfect. I admitted I had problems. I admitted that I sought forgiveness,” Gingrich said. “But I also think over time, if you look at my record, I’m a pretty effective leader.”

When asked if his involvement in the impeachment of former President Bill Clinton for lying under oath was hypocritical given his own past, he said “no,” because he was focused on the law, not Clinton’s private life.

“It’s not about personal behavior … it’s not about what he did in the Oval Office. You can condemn that. You can say it’s totally inappropriate,” Gingrich said. “But it was about a much deeper and more profound thing, which is: Does the president of the United States have to obey the law?”

Did he ever think that he “shouldn’t be throwing stones?”

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich
  1. OneMoreTime

Saw this interview and it was pitiful. It is hard to make sense when you are talking out of both sides of your mouth,
    and he was. "Its not about personal behavior......." pretty much sums up his attitude about morality. He went after
    Clinton because he lied to Congress? Much like Gingrich did and was censored and fined. He also talked about
    his flip flop on Libya which made even less sense. GIGO

March 27, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  2. GOP-Tea Party IDIOTs

Gingrich: Is the epitome of a hypocrital lying scumbag!

March 27, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  3. Dennis

What is with Newt's revisionist history? First he claims if Reagan were still president, he would have quickly taken out Ghadaffi. We all know Reagan tried (at least twice) and failed to do so. Now Newt claims he would have resigned if he could not have done his job as a public leader, after his multiple extra marital affairs became public.

He did resign, in 1998.

March 27, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  4. nobody special

Hey Newtie,

You are the definition of hypocrite, in its purest form. Nevermind Clinton's impeachment on perjury.

It's the whole "Family Values' nonsense you and your team spew to the ignorant, uneducated, Jeezus followers that make you a hypocrite.

If there were a hell, there would be a large section of it reserved for you and your friends. Bummer that there is no such place.

March 27, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  5. teena

Typical of these holier than thou types–Use the morality ruler to measure everyone ele's behavior but mine becaue I am exempt!

March 27, 2011 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  6. Pamela

He can run [for President] but he can't hide [from his hypocrisy].

March 27, 2011 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  7. Liz the First

Here's the proof that reupublicans don't understand the concept of hypocrisy. if Newt knows what 'hypocrite' means and still says he's not one, then he's a liar.

March 27, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  8. fayse

"I am not a hypocrit" sort of reminds me of Richard Nixon "I am not a crook" Gingrich, don't waste our time and your money.

March 27, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  9. Elphaba

Newt. You, like McCain, are a dinosaur. Your policies may have been well received in the eighties and nineties, but this is a new century. Let the new young lions of the Republican Party represent the party future. And, with the likes of Palin and Bachmann making a total mockery of the GOP, the future doesn't look too bright.

March 27, 2011 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  10. gamecocks

I used to like Newt, oreilly and becks, I now I can't stand listening to these redneck who are trying scare and inflame the country for money and fame. These republicans are making me sick and I am voting independence next.

March 27, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  11. Sam

Well...as usual, another GOPer, hypocrite to the core! What a shocker!

March 27, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  12. Joseph

The article is entitled "Gingrich: I’m not a hypocrite" but there is nothing in the article about his having said this or why he wasn't a hypocrite! Shame the story didn't match the title.

March 27, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  13. Barry2952

I wonder how he spells hypocrite.

March 27, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  14. dave

Gingrich = hypocrite

He shut down our government = ineffective, unprofessional, not what a real leader would do.

March 27, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  15. carlos

“No,” Gingrich said. “I thought to myself if I cannot do what I have to do as a public leader, I would have resigned.”..........but newt, you were thrown out of congress by your own peers, you are a disgraced little old man, just look at your picture here, your chin is sagging down to your belly just like that of the other idiot governor in new jersey.....brains full of lard

March 27, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  16. Ron

This guy can hide behind the "law" all he wants to, but it's clear he has "reformed" himself to please and dupe the religious right. And of course they are easily persuaded as long as someone says, "forgive me," and agrees with their right-wing political philosophy. If the guy was a liberal and said "forgive me," it would be only the wrath of God, not forgiveness coming from the right wing.

March 27, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  17. Will

How do you spell hypocrite?

March 27, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  18. ps

Newt – Yes you are! End of story, end of presidential run.

March 27, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  19. mommytwice

he's a hypocrit.

March 27, 2011 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  20. Bill R in Oakland

Newt,

You're unelectable.

Knock yourself out.

March 27, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  21. TM

So the question is "does the President have to obey the law?" So how will Gingrich address the MULTIPLE times Bush violated the law by conducting domestic wiretaps WITHOUT warrants in CLEAR VIOLATION of federal law? And more importantly, would he do the same in similar circumstances?

March 27, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  22. jim

he's a poor excuse for a man. one more of those "do as i say, not as I do", fools. he will never get my vote.

March 27, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  23. Robrob

Wow, could he be any more oblivious?

March 27, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  24. Paul ny http://www.youtube.com/ny007ny

lol. Oh I hope he gets the nomination because he will fall flat on his big fat face.

March 27, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  25. normajean

This man is a hypocrite,liar,cheat and just about every disgusting word one can come up with. I wouldn't trust him under any circumstances and I surely wouldn't vote for him for president. There are more than legalities that one must live up to in this life, there are moralities that are every bit as important and are almost a "written in stone "show of what kind of human being you are. He fails drastically in all directions.He should have resigned years ago.!!!

March 27, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |