Gingrich: I’m not a hypocrite
March 27th, 2011

Gingrich: I’m not a hypocrite

Washington (CNN) - Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich said Sunday that he expects to be running for president within a month.

“I think within a month, we’ll have that taken care of and we’ll be running,” Gingrich said on “Fox News Sunday.” “It’s my hope that all of this will work out and I’ll be able to run.”

Gingrich touted his “very good team” and the reception he has received during appearances in early presidential primary and caucus states.

“I have recently been in South Carolina, New Hampshire, Iowa, the places you need to go, as well as Texas, Florida and North Carolina,” Gingrich said. “The water is pretty warm. My hope is that within a month, we’ll be in swimming there very rapidly.”

The former Georgia congressman, who has been married three times, also addressed his past indiscretions - a perceived weakness for the potential candidate - saying he did things of which he is not proud.

“I don’t think I’m perfect. I admitted I had problems. I admitted that I sought forgiveness,” Gingrich said. “But I also think over time, if you look at my record, I’m a pretty effective leader.”

When asked if his involvement in the impeachment of former President Bill Clinton for lying under oath was hypocritical given his own past, he said “no,” because he was focused on the law, not Clinton’s private life.

“It’s not about personal behavior … it’s not about what he did in the Oval Office. You can condemn that. You can say it’s totally inappropriate,” Gingrich said. “But it was about a much deeper and more profound thing, which is: Does the president of the United States have to obey the law?”

Did he ever think that he “shouldn’t be throwing stones?”

“No,” Gingrich said. “I thought to myself if I cannot do what I have to do as a public leader, I would have resigned.”

Filed under: 2012 • Newt Gingrich
  1. Stu Steinberg

It is amazing how these guys can just say they have been "forgiven." God apparently says this and that's all it takes to not be a complete unethical, immoral swine. I love the fact that some of the ilk of Mr. Gingrich's extreme right-wing of the GOP, such as one government official in Alaska, want to make adultery a crime. It is also grossly hypocritical that the Iowa voters whom Mr. Gingrich just addressed could possibly see him as a potential candidate when they believe that values are more important than the economy or defense. Frankly, I hope that either he, or morons like Michelle Bachmann, win in Iowa next year. They claim they want to defeat the President but there can be no question that if Gingrich, Bachmann, or someone like them, wins in Iowa, it will be all but over for the Republicans in the general election.

March 27, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  2. steve

Oh, so now the phony-baloney Grumpy Old People are NOT concerned about what is morally right or wrong ( such as filing for divorce while your wife is battling cancer). How self-serving, Newt.

March 27, 2011 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  3. Tom

The guy is beyond arrogant. Sorry Newt, but you are the definition of the word hypocrite.

March 27, 2011 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  4. S. Studenberg

As a Canadian, I have the priviledge of not getting it. Is this guy serious? He flip flops on just about every issue except abortion and less taxes and he wants to run for prez? You people are getting Obama for another 4 years with the crop the GOP intends to run for 2012. What`s next? A coffee party?

March 27, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  5. Bill

Newt, Newt, Newt. You are effective at throwing stones, disingenuous statements, ethical violations, and disavowal. You are not presidential material and never will be.

March 27, 2011 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  6. johnRJ08

Gingrich holds Obama to a standard to which he has never applied to himself. He's a classic hypocrite, on top of being a corpulent good old boy from the South who has flipped flopped on nearly every issue he's spoken out on. Most recently, he has done a total 180º turn on the no-fly zone in Libya. It's OK to oppose policies, but it's not OK to make up your own facts.

March 27, 2011 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  7. carrotroot

If you have to defend yourself against being called a hypocrite then you most likely are a hypocrite.

March 27, 2011 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  8. SA in OO

Somebody tell the Grinch, that he had is 30 seconds of fame. That train left.

March 27, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  9. Mad in MA

Of course you are a hypocrite.. you admit you have had problems and are not perfect yet you vilify, call out, point fingers and demand perfection of any Democrats that have done the same or less than you yourself. Sorry not buying the bull, tired of the do as I say not as I do mantra of the Republican party.

March 27, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  10. donna rochester

Hypocrit is too kind a word to describe this sub-human excuse for a man who always finds an excuse for his deplorable behavior. Look at his life. What has he done other than lie and cheat, change his religion when it is convenient and hold himself to a different standard than the rest of the world. Go ahead and run Neut, you and Palin are our best insurance for an Obama second term.

March 27, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  11. SLP

Hypocrite is a word that gets thrown around a lot these days and very few use it in it's correct context. To be a hypocrite means that one lives in TOTAL opposition to what they say they believe. There is no evidence that they even attempt to live up to the standards that they deem appropriate for civilized behavior. It is not hypocritical to fall. We are all human, and we all engage in behavior from time to time that is, for lack of a better word, undesirable. When one does fall, it doesn't mean that they throw their moral standards completely out the window. They repent, ask for forgiveness and move on. Are there republicans that are hypocritical? The answer to that question is yes, just like their are democrats who are. However, even the best of us will fall from grace many, many times before we take that final bow.

March 27, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  12. Independent Observer

This guy makes me wretch in disgust.

March 27, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  13. SAVE US FROM RETHUGLICANS

MAJOR HYPOCRITE... SCUMBAG. The Republican sheep will believe ANYTHING this bloated bitter man spews out. Such sheep. Run, fat man, run. Obama 2012

March 27, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  14. Sadie Boyd

Newt in his poltical career was the king of using tax-payer subsidized donations for his personal and political purposes. He stooped so low as to hijack not one but two charities for poor inner city kids and use their donations for his personal goals.

March 27, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  15. revinger

this clown doesn't stand a chance. he's wasting our time and money. he has the ethics of a slime-mold.

March 27, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  16. T'sah from Virginia

Gingrich: I’m not a hypocrite
    Nor am I a Warlock too!!!
    So please don't go and have a fit
    Because I am thinking of YOU!!!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

March 27, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  17. WHAT!!

HE WAS FOCUSED ON THE LAW? There is no law against having an extramarital affair in the oval office, even if yo are the President. Clinton should never have been under oath in the first place. But Gingrich made sure he was. So yes, he is still a hypocrite.

March 27, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  18. alleygator

The sad thing is that conservatives will believe this man.

March 27, 2011 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  19. lgny

The crowd of wannabes jockeying for the Republican nomination are very depressing. It's looking like they will nominate a far right conservative who will be both unwilling and unable to compromise on any issues since the Tea Party revolts whenever one of their candidates makes even the smallest step toward the center. The Tea Party is 100% hooked on "my way or the highway."

Obama has proven to be a centrist-left president but not as great a president as many had hoped when he ran in 08. Hence, he has some vulnerabilities that could give a right winger a chance to take the presidency, or at least retain their position as a strong minority. With the Republican candidates so far right, Obama will likely hold the center but it remains unclear whether they will vote in sufficient numbers to assure a landslide.

In any case, unless there is a massive blow out we will continue to have a divided government with the Republicans more interested in proving the correctness of their position than in collaborating in governmental progress - a certain recipe for deadlock.

Our nation has so many problems but remains unable to progress toward resolving them because of the endless partisan bickering.

March 27, 2011 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  20. kk

"I am not a hypocrite"

Yes you are.

March 27, 2011 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  21. The Greedy Old Pigs don't know the meaning of the word "hypocrisy"!

Wow, that goes down with Nixon's "I am not a crook" for brazen lying. Newter, not only are you a terrible hypocrite, you're a terrible husband, politician and overall human being. You should consider disappearing from public life and working on your demons.

March 27, 2011 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  22. Jeff Brown in Jersey

You are not only a hypocrite, you are a lying and disgusting human being!

March 27, 2011 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  23. Reggie from LA

Fine. You have been exonerated. No problem. Now, go ahead and win the Rep Primary. We have forgotten ALL about it. Put that Palin lady on the ticket with ya. Not governor, Ms Palin (I don't have one of those 100K contracts with her the make me bow and scrape)...and good luck to ya both.

March 27, 2011 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  24. DAW, NC

asking Gindrich if he is a hypocrit is like asking a crook if they broke the law, both will deny until they are caught red handed then try to blame someone else for what they did saying that they really did not mean to do it especially now that they have been caught.

March 27, 2011 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  25. Dana

Gives new meaning to the word 'hypocritical"! I suppose only politicians can get away with excusing their own behavior in the name of truth.

March 27, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |