McCain won't watch 'Game Change'
March 28th, 2011

McCain won't watch 'Game Change'

(CNN) - He is set to be portrayed by a four-time Oscar nominee, but Arizona Sen. John McCain says he has no intention of watching Ed Harris' upcoming interpretation of him.

"He's a very fine actor and a great actor," McCain said during an appearance on Fox News Sunday. "I obviously haven't read the book, so I don't think I'll be watching the film."

HBO revealed last week Harris would star as the former presidential candidate in the cable network's adaptation of "Game Change" – the bestselling 2009 book by journalists John Heilemann and Mark Halperin that provided an inside look into the 2008 presidential campaign.

The movie will focus on the book's largely-negative portrayal of the McCain campaign, especially the reportedly hasty decision to pick then-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as the vice presidential nominee.

"I've been made very aware about its depiction of me, and it is what it is," McCain added.

In addition to Harris, actress Julianne Moore will play the role of Sarah Palin and Woody Harelson will depict McCain's campaign manager, Steve Schmidt.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Sebastian

McCain won't watch it because he can't handle the truth about himself. He humiliated in the 2008 election and is still bitter about it. He is a reckless gambler who was willing to put the nation at risk by choosing Sarah Palin as his running mate – just so he could have a chance [he thought] to pick up votes from women. I thank God that he, with his advanced age and prior history of cancer did not win; can you imagine the trouble we'd be in with him or even worse, Palin as President?

McCain has clung to some false sense of glory as a POW some 30 years ago and as a cadet at the bottom of his Naval Academy class, he has dilusions of his awareness and prowess of military affairs. His call for a NFZ in Libya was irresponsible because it did not encompass an international coalition, he didn't have any though around the cost, the time required to impliment it, or the geo-political consequences. He falsely saw it as an antiseptic action; ignoring the fact that any NFZ starts with an attack [i.e. bombs & missiles] on the enemy who will be shoot back at you. He'd have plunged America into holding 100% of the responsibility and the Europeans, Africans, and Arabs would have no skin in the game.

John McCain peaked politically and intellectually some 11 years ago in 2000. It is now time for him to retire from politics immediately and do no more harm.

March 28, 2011 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  2. eddale

Does anyone care what this has been thinks?

March 28, 2011 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  3. ThinkAgain

Truth hurts ...

March 28, 2011 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  4. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Watching McCain is a form of torture, and should be outlawed by articles of war.

March 28, 2011 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  5. Joe The Plumber

I get Ed Harris playing McCain – that seems to work. But Julianne Moore playing Palin?!? Moore is such an intelligent actress its going to be a stretch watching her play someone dumb.

March 28, 2011 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  6. WTH?

I enjoyed the HBO movie, Recount. I didn't tape it or consider adding it to my movie collection. I'm already wondering where I can purchase this movie.

March 28, 2011 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  7. Former Republican, but never again!

"Obviously hasn't read the book" means he can't stand the truth.

March 28, 2011 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  8. kelsey's grammar

Every thing that was being bandied about in '08 about Palin from running around in Nieman Marcus, answering her hotel door in a towel and not knowing Africa was a continent, not a country has turned out to be true. No wonder McCain has turned into a "get off my lawn" senior.

March 28, 2011 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  9. Eve

Always a class act John McCain, so much he could have said here, but walks away the bigger man. LOVE!

March 28, 2011 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  10. Pedro

Shouldn't Rosie O'donnell play Palin?

March 28, 2011 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  11. GOP-Tea Party IDIOTs

Old Gizzard John McSame is ashamed to see one of his BIGGEST FAILUREs in life documented in a movie!

I'm sure airhead Palin will be soo glad to see this movie, celebrating her dumbness and utter lack of minimal education that has become the maintain criteria for celebrity wannabes....PalinDIOT will be poppin dat popcorn while she is watchin da movie and seeing Russia from her porch!!!!

You betcha, NOT...STUPID AIRHEAD!!!

March 28, 2011 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  12. Sandy

They couldn't get Tina Fae?!

March 28, 2011 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  13. ABM

He should. It would be nice to watch to see him squirm in the spotlight of this movie. Then he would know what it feels like to be on the receiving end and then learn to be more respectful to our President.

March 28, 2011 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  14. once upon a Horse

I agree with McCain and doubt if I'll watch it either. Seeing the real Sarah Palin is enough for me so why bother being reminded of what has been put upon America since then.

March 28, 2011 10:57 am at 10:57 am |