McCain won't watch 'Game Change'
March 28th, 2011

McCain won't watch 'Game Change'

(CNN) - He is set to be portrayed by a four-time Oscar nominee, but Arizona Sen. John McCain says he has no intention of watching Ed Harris' upcoming interpretation of him.

"He's a very fine actor and a great actor," McCain said during an appearance on Fox News Sunday. "I obviously haven't read the book, so I don't think I'll be watching the film."

HBO revealed last week Harris would star as the former presidential candidate in the cable network's adaptation of "Game Change" – the bestselling 2009 book by journalists John Heilemann and Mark Halperin that provided an inside look into the 2008 presidential campaign.

The movie will focus on the book's largely-negative portrayal of the McCain campaign, especially the reportedly hasty decision to pick then-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as the vice presidential nominee.

"I've been made very aware about its depiction of me, and it is what it is," McCain added.

In addition to Harris, actress Julianne Moore will play the role of Sarah Palin and Woody Harelson will depict McCain's campaign manager, Steve Schmidt.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Jman

What? Tina Fey was too busy?

March 28, 2011 09:46 am at 9:46 am |
  2. dtbart

I just finished reading Game Change. I don't think that the McCain was in targeted in the book more so than any other candidate, including Hillary Clinton and Barrack Obama. Palin was shown to be the worst of the lot, however. But, you know, facts can suck! The book seemed to be well researched and it was very well written and quite readable. I enjoyed it.

March 28, 2011 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  3. getreal

The truth sucks, huh John. BooHoo

March 28, 2011 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  4. TM

Truth often hurts. Sad that now he will not be remembered as an officer, or a POW, or even a Senator with a history of service, but as the man who unleashed the political plague known as Sarah Palin on the US. This country, and his party, will spend decades recovering from the damage that ignorant harpy has done.

March 28, 2011 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  5. Sniffit

Poor baby need his binky? McPampers should be happy...he'll have a movie AND a footnote in the history books.

March 28, 2011 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  6. Thomas

By that, does he mean....true?

March 28, 2011 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  7. Mark L.

Not taking away anything from actress Julianne Moore, but I would think Tina Fey would be a better actress to play the role of Sarah Palin.

March 28, 2011 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  8. Manny

Also starring (from SNL fame) Bobby Moynihan as "Snooki"

March 28, 2011 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  9. ckerst

Grampa grumpy pants doesn't like movies.

March 28, 2011 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  10. Me

Sorry you do not like the truth John. This country should never forgive you for unleashing Palin on the world. That woman is an idiot, and you were very irresponsible for picking her.

March 28, 2011 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  11. Rsprings

Senator Mcain, I watched the movie W. about the Bush administration. It was actually kind of entertaining. However, what struck me most was the Limousine Liberal view of the Bush years. Their attempt to make President Bush, Dick Cheney and others was clearly biased. In the end free thinking fair minded people will form their own opinion based upon what they observed. By the way I agree, Ed Harris is a fine actor. However, if he were still alive today, I would have cast Steve McQueen....a real Hollywood maverick.

March 28, 2011 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  12. Darth Vadik, CA

I don't blame McCain on this one.

I really don't think Ed Harris is the type of person that would make a smear movie, so I don't think the movie will be too far off in this case, but still, movies are movies and only right wingers believe that movies (or TV) are real, google Jack Bauer...

But in reality, from W (the Oliver Stone movie) to that travesty that Fox wanted to put out about Bill Clinton...movies are really not a good source of "information" about anyone...they take "creative licenses" in movies...

March 28, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  13. The Real Tom Paine

Better be careful, Ed: you'll be hauled in front of Peter King and Michelle Bachman and asked to name names. Personally, I thought Elmer Fudd would have been a better choice: lets give Victoria Jackson the role of Palin, since she needs the work and playing a lazy, intellectually-challenged money grubber would not be too much of a stretch. Only problem is that she would have to lose weight and ditch that ridiculous hat.

Oh Victoria, " Celebrity Fat Club" is calling you again. Have fun with Dustin Diamond and AJ Benza.

March 28, 2011 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  14. Steve in Denver

Well, McCain, you are a conservative. Why would you read anything? Especially something that does not portray the world as you see it? I mean, gosh, you might learn something.

I know, I'll just stick my fingers in my ears, scream "la la la la," and say the whole book is a bunch of lies. I won't be able to cite any untruth in the book, but it all is a pack of lies.

Why is it that conservatives celebrate ignorance? When did reading become so anti-conservative? No wonder the likes of bush, mccain, palin, bachmann, boehner and mcconnell rise to the top of the party, no knowledge, no solutions, just the Democrats are liars and wrong.

Where is the work on jobs?

March 28, 2011 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  15. John PA

Oh, he'll be watching alright. I don't believe a word he says.

March 28, 2011 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  16. Jaison Biagini

a much better cast than those 3 idiots deserve.

March 28, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  17. Howard

Understandably, most people will decline to sit through an unflattering 2 hour depiction of themselves. In McCain's case, he may already feel considerable regret about the choice he made and possibly frustration at the fact that he had very few viable choices available to him at the time. In retrospect, McCain might suspect he offered himself up, or was offered up, as a sacrificial lamb in an election that the GOP had no hope of winning. If he does feel that way, it's easy to imagine he feels very bitter about it.

All that said, he made a very classy concession speech Election Night and no one can ever take that away from him.

March 28, 2011 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  18. Rick

Obviously a liberal Hollywood plot to embarrass the Republicans, who are the only ones who truly speak for the American people and can do no wrong.

March 28, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  19. Mattski

Hey John the truth is often not pretty. You ditched your strong and straightforward views, for which I respected you, and chose to go with cheap political choices - the kind that reveal the belief that voters are all stupid and would respond better to a Palin VP instead of your straightforward style. Combine that with your recent denial that you ever called yourself a Maverick and the famous "fix the dang fence" comment, and you've made your own unflattering movie. It's the story of a man who gave up honestly for political gain, and failed.

March 28, 2011 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  20. lynn

Another book that should be made into a movie is: "Going Rouge, Sarah Palain, An American Nightmare" by Richard Kim & Betsy Reed. Most of us are aware of the dirt behind Palin, but this book spells it out in all it's glory.

March 28, 2011 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  21. Fed Up

That's ok. I don't like HBO!

March 28, 2011 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  22. KC Rick

You have to be kidding. Doing this while Senator McCain is alive. How insensitive. This man has servced his country and sacrificed like no other (in Hanoi Hilton for over 6 years). You may not agree with his politics, but just goes to show you that HBO will do anything for an audience. Anyone that would have Bill Maher, does not have much entertainment sense. I quit subsribing to HBO – this will ensure I will never subscribe again. I am "voting" with my wallet.

March 28, 2011 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  23. Brian, NJ

The book was mostly about Clinton and Obama. McCain and Palin were about 1/3 of it. If HBO isn't doing the whole book then that's just wrong.

March 28, 2011 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  24. A female in Wyoming

Mr. McCain, I think you SHOULD watch. Watch and see what you unleashed on this country. Your reputation will be tarnished, because of Palin, for the remainder of you career. You have lost any credibility and have only displayed anger and desperation.

March 28, 2011 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  25. pjfla

Who cares what McCain thinks or does or watches. He is out-of-the-loop and should retire and stop being a trouble-maker.

March 28, 2011 10:17 am at 10:17 am |