Pawlenty calls out Trump
March 29th, 2011

Pawlenty calls out Trump

(CNN) - Donald Trump should quit questioning President Obama's birthplace, says Tim Pawlenty, a potential future opponent of Trump's for the Republican presidential nomination.

Appearing on MSNBC's Morning Joe, Pawlenty said he doesn't doubt Obama was, in fact, born in Hawaii and says members of his party should stop pushing the issue.

"I, for one, do not believe we should be raising that issue," the ex-Minnesota governor said. "I think President Obama was born in the United States."

As for his thoughts on a seemingly improbable Trump presidential candidacy, Pawlently said, "I think he's talented. I think he's funny. I think he's interesting."

The comments come a day after Trump pushed the issue farther down the road, telling Fox News he is "really concerned" the president was not born in the United States.

"All of the sudden a lot of facts are emerging, and I am starting to wonder myself whether he was born in this country," he said.

Trump followed those comments up by releasing what he said was his own birth certificate to the conservative website Newsmax.com. The certificate Trump released however is not an official one, according to Politico.

It should be noted that CNN and other news organizations have thoroughly debunked the rumors about the president's birthplace. Hawaii has released a copy of the president's birth certificate - officially called a "certificate of live birth" - and the hospital where he was born took out ads in two Hawaiian newspapers in 1961 announcing the birth.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • Tim Pawlenty
  1. tochi

Trump is in for free publicity-he should stick to selling snake oil

March 29, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  2. diridi

It is all drama.....just watch and enjoy!!!!! But when you vote for these idiots, just remember....

March 29, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  3. vin

Ah, the GOP – the gift that keeps on giving.

March 29, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  4. Equality 4 all

Will not win the primary talkin like that.

March 29, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  5. Futon Torpedo

What is this? Someone is trying to seperate himself from the Rabid Repubs. Good move Gov.

March 29, 2011 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  6. thesewist

I saw Pawlenty on Morning Joe, and thought finally a Republican has the guts to speak up and tell the truth. So unlike Michelle Bachman who wouldn't give a straight answer (not that she has the brains to even answer a question) when G. Stephanopulos practically nailed her to the wall. Trump, Bachman, and all the rest of the racist birthers don't deserve the time of day.

March 29, 2011 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  7. Mike Hawthorne

It's beginning to look like Pawlenty will be the only viable candidate to take on Obama in 2012. Huntsman would be a better prez but is far too unknown by the masses to make a dent. The rest are too kooky or else have too much baggage.

March 29, 2011 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  8. al in memphis

I just wondering how many times Trump was on Fox News before this presidential run thing. It appears Fox has an open door policy to anyone who is willing to criticize Obama.
    Next up - Joe the plumber is giving insight on the ten ways Obama budget will harm the trade relations with Germany.

March 29, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  9. Just Wondering

"the hospital where he was born took out ads in two Hawaiian newspapers in 1961 announcing the birth."
    __

No. They were birth announcements based on information from the Hawaii Department of Health, not advertisements taken out by the hospital.

If you wish to inform the public, please get your facts straight.

March 29, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  10. Martha in CF

This is the only thing I will agree with Pawlenty on...Trump needs to give it up. Now let us question Trump's birth certificate-Jamaica Hospital--can he verify that it was not in the US cause most of us can assume where Jamaica is-and that is outside the US.
    And lastly--shouldn't this have been an issue way back when he served in Congress. Enough already..........................

March 29, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  11. greg in jax

score 1 for Pawlenty.. Trump, you FAILand apparently are not eligible to be President.

March 29, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  12. PMathew

Can't believe I am saying this, but I agree with Pawlenty.

March 29, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  13. Name king

What! A repug being objective, this must be a trick, a repug using common sence and not being bias is extremely rare, if the repugs could look beyond obama's skin color and start acting and thinking rationally, they might see that Pawlenty and santrum are the only two viable candidate they have, the rest are too deeply ideologistic, and wont compromise their far right policies, to have a chance against Obama in the general election.

March 29, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  14. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Trump himself doesn't marry American and does business all over the World and yes, he has borrowed taxpayers money from banks to gain his wealth as many real estate investors do, they don't use their own money.

March 29, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  15. JP0

Could this be the only potential Republican Presidential candidate that won't sell his soul for a few votes? Good for him. I will listen more carefully to what he has to say on other subjects.

March 29, 2011 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  16. HJA

Trump would make a great president. He would claim the country was one of his companies and declare it bankrupt. Debt problem solved. He does it time and time again.

March 29, 2011 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  17. wiseone

Trump is desperately trying to appear political. He's a shrewd businessman, and knows what the truth is, but he also knows that his stuborness gets him publicity. I doubt if he really thinks he is a serious contender, he just likes to inflate his ego. I am surprised that he would take the chance of being labeled an ignorant person who happens to be a billionaire.

March 29, 2011 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  18. cgarcia

Thanks for defending the president, but you will get No brownie points from me buddy. Is anybody questions Trump's where-abouts. I'm not sure where he was born with that hang over hair style.

March 29, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  19. Randy

I really thought that Donald Trump might add some positive discussions to the mix as he has talked about running for President. And now, THIS is what he brings to the table? Really? Seriously? Honestly? You're kidding me? THIS is the type of positive President that Trump would be to our country? I'm really disappointed in him.

March 29, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  20. Seattle Sue

The in fighting has begun. Now Trump will fire back at Pawlenty. On and on and on, it just never ends. Never mind that neither of the two will ever be President.

March 29, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  21. GWF22

I had high hopes for Pawlenty, come to find out he's just another WIMP when it comes to the Usurper. Donald is looking better and better. At least he's not afraid to speak his mind and not worry about being PC.Michele B needs to take Pawlenty out behind the shed and give him a good spanking.

March 29, 2011 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  22. mfhpr

wow...a sane comment from someone on the right??? say it isn't so! michele bachmann will have tim's head for this!

March 29, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  23. Joshua Ludd

"The certificate Trump released however is not an official one"

Gee, isn't that why people keep doubting Obama's? DONALD TRUMP WASN'T BORN IN AMERICA!!!!! Oh wait... no, we can't think that for no reason.. after all... he is white and has a normal name.. unlike obama.

March 29, 2011 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  24. Sarah Palin does not speak for me in Ohio

With the state of education in this country due to cutbacks, I wonder how many citizens know Hawaii is a state. I know many ask why my son lives in a foreign country – New Mexico and I have had students who think Alaska floats in the Pacific above Hawaii due to the depictions on weather maps in the newspaper.

March 29, 2011 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  25. all the news that's fit too omit

Simply put, show the REAL birth certificate and move on, but NOPE he is hiding something from us, perhaps the religion noted on the REAL certificate, the race noted or maybe just a Mommy and NO Daddy noted.

He WAS born here and I really care more about the way he is ruining the country and the way the media lies and covers for him.

Alright, who are we bombing next THAT IS ONLY for oil and is NO threat without authorization from Congress?

Bueller, Bueller, anyone?