Pawlenty calls out Trump
March 29th, 2011

Pawlenty calls out Trump

(CNN) - Donald Trump should quit questioning President Obama's birthplace, says Tim Pawlenty, a potential future opponent of Trump's for the Republican presidential nomination.

Appearing on MSNBC's Morning Joe, Pawlenty said he doesn't doubt Obama was, in fact, born in Hawaii and says members of his party should stop pushing the issue.

"I, for one, do not believe we should be raising that issue," the ex-Minnesota governor said. "I think President Obama was born in the United States."

As for his thoughts on a seemingly improbable Trump presidential candidacy, Pawlently said, "I think he's talented. I think he's funny. I think he's interesting."

The comments come a day after Trump pushed the issue farther down the road, telling Fox News he is "really concerned" the president was not born in the United States.

"All of the sudden a lot of facts are emerging, and I am starting to wonder myself whether he was born in this country," he said.

Trump followed those comments up by releasing what he said was his own birth certificate to the conservative website Newsmax.com. The certificate Trump released however is not an official one, according to Politico.

It should be noted that CNN and other news organizations have thoroughly debunked the rumors about the president's birthplace. Hawaii has released a copy of the president's birth certificate - officially called a "certificate of live birth" - and the hospital where he was born took out ads in two Hawaiian newspapers in 1961 announcing the birth.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • Tim Pawlenty
  1. GaryB

Let's see... he posted a birth certificate that wasn't official... his mother was a Scottish citizen... oh my gosh! Donald Trump is a trust fund anchor baby!

March 29, 2011 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  2. CVaughn

A voice of relative reason....Trump should listen. Trump's arguments that classmates don't remember Obama from kindergarten (when he moved at the end of the year) is absurd. Trump may actually be more clueless than Palin.

March 29, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  3. Little Tin God

But don't you understand?? Obama's supposed birth in Hawaii in 1961 was all a hoax perpetrated on the American people by Muslim fanatics at that time to make sure that Barack Obama could be elected President of the United States in 2009!! This makes absolute, perfect sense so why do you question those that question Obama's birth place??

March 29, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  4. JiminNM

Pawlenty probably doesn't care about the truth, only about protecting the game the Democrats and Republicans play for their puppet masters.

March 29, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  5. DemoCommunists for a Better Way - Steal the Wealth, Bankrupt America

Hey Pawlenty GET A CLUE! NOBODY in the GOP is "pushing the issue". The liberal main street media likes to play this up so keeps asking people (mainly Republicans) about it just to keep the "story" alive and to try and make them look bad.

But if Trump wants to spout off about it, who cares? He's entitled to his opinion and nobody mistakes him for a serious presidential contender for the GOP.

People need to stop allowing the liberal main street media and their lackeys from manipulating them with this kind of BS. Just LAUGH and say "Next Question".

March 29, 2011 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  6. Dave

Uh-oh, Timbo, looks like you're now going to lose a good deal of support.

March 29, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  7. Indy

"I think President Obama was born in the United States."

And educated Americans KNOW Obama was born in Hawaii ! Weak statement from Tim (I think) and that means Pawlenty has weak judgement and is not fir for the highest job in the land. Trump the Bankrupt Chump can't name one fact in his "all of a sudden" birther campaign that backs up his story that there is somehow new evidence that Obama was not born in the US. You can either believe the birthers or the combination of the CIA,Secret Service,FBI, Homeland Security,The Clintons, DNC,RNC and you would have to believe they all came up with the scam almost fifty years ago.

March 29, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  8. Jason B.

I'm not wild about Pawlenty, but he's got my respect for standing up on this long-dead and debunked issue.

March 29, 2011 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  9. Ben Ben

Show me the doctors and nurses in Kenya who were witness to his birth? How come nobody in Kenya remembers him being born there?

March 29, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  10. Andi

Donald, I was about to give you the benefit of the doubt, thinking you would take the high road. Not anymore. If you can't come with what you can do better than the incumbent President, shut up. The vast majority of the American people are not as stupid as you think we are. Trust me. Watch on election day. Keep it up.

March 29, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  11. RG

Finally a sane Republican

March 29, 2011 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  12. Dee

Who knew? Tim Pawlenty and I actually agree on something.

The more I look at Donald Trump, the more I feel the need to wash my eyeballs!

March 29, 2011 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  13. kyung conning

I do not know about that? in the future.

March 29, 2011 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  14. kylefromohio

Got to give it to him: Smart Man, stay away from the loonies

March 29, 2011 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  15. RICK

Lets get this over with.......Obama and Trump have a TV lunch........Obama shows the world his certificate and Trump shows the world his real hair / head after a shower

March 29, 2011 12:04 pm at 12:04 pm |
  16. Russ

Definitely have new found respect for Pawlenty. Even though he is not one of my favorite Presidential candidates.

March 29, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  17. Ramjet

March 29, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  18. Lizzy10

I don't think the majority of the Republican party thinks Mr. Obama isn't an American citizen, just the vocal minority-tea party/Palin nuts. As for Donald Trump, I wouldn't vote for him if he was the only one running for dog catcher.

March 29, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  19. Ramjet

CNN, Why give any ink to the likes of Trump and others if there is no substance to their claims. Continuing to give these fools space puts you right with them. At least there is one honest republican.

March 29, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  20. MM

Wow, one of the GOP candidates has a brain!

March 29, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  21. Todd

So Pawlenty isn't a birther. And that is supposed to mean he would make a great president? I've no faith in any of the republican candidates.

March 29, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  22. slipthalo

Not saying I'd vote for him but Pawlenty's stature just rose a bit in my eyes. He's showing he's probably one of the smatest the GOP could come up with as a candidate.

March 29, 2011 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  23. Bill

Tim Pawlenty just became a person that I will pay attention to. Could he really be a Republican who is genuinely interested in substantive issues rather than the insults, empty accusations, and mind-numbing ignorance that characterizes the comments of so many in his party???

March 29, 2011 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  24. Sniffit

Nice picture of Polenta doing what GOPers do best: point fingers. He'll fit right in among the gaggle of know-nothing goobers they've assembled for 2012.

March 29, 2011 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  25. Pretzel Logic

Ah Timmy, while trying to seize the middle makes political sense, your constituency is completely out of their minds. You will not gain any point for this.

Funny that Trump releases his birth certificate and it isn't the official one. What is he trying to hide? Where is his official birth certificate?

March 29, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |