Pawlenty calls out Trump
March 29th, 2011

Pawlenty calls out Trump

(CNN) - Donald Trump should quit questioning President Obama's birthplace, says Tim Pawlenty, a potential future opponent of Trump's for the Republican presidential nomination.

Appearing on MSNBC's Morning Joe, Pawlenty said he doesn't doubt Obama was, in fact, born in Hawaii and says members of his party should stop pushing the issue.

"I, for one, do not believe we should be raising that issue," the ex-Minnesota governor said. "I think President Obama was born in the United States."

As for his thoughts on a seemingly improbable Trump presidential candidacy, Pawlently said, "I think he's talented. I think he's funny. I think he's interesting."

The comments come a day after Trump pushed the issue farther down the road, telling Fox News he is "really concerned" the president was not born in the United States.

"All of the sudden a lot of facts are emerging, and I am starting to wonder myself whether he was born in this country," he said.

Trump followed those comments up by releasing what he said was his own birth certificate to the conservative website Newsmax.com. The certificate Trump released however is not an official one, according to Politico.

It should be noted that CNN and other news organizations have thoroughly debunked the rumors about the president's birthplace. Hawaii has released a copy of the president's birth certificate - officially called a "certificate of live birth" - and the hospital where he was born took out ads in two Hawaiian newspapers in 1961 announcing the birth.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • Tim Pawlenty
  1. rahul

republicans would do well to separate themselves as far as possible from those on the extreme right of issues, and non-issues like the birthplace of our President. It is the only hope they have to claim an executive seat in the White House in 2012. The majority of intelligent, moderate, non-party affiliated voters see this and other issues the Tea Party holds dear to for what they are – small minded political posturing based upon divisive and vitriolic rhetoric. None of which will help our country progress.

March 29, 2011 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Well here is a GOP member who had passed the third grade.

March 29, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  3. Bubba316

A person can't go down to the Florida DMV and get a drivers license or I.D. card without a certified copy of their birth certificate, and one other form of I.D. from a specified list of acceptable I.D.'s....Why should it be so incomprehensible, regardless of who may be running for the Presidency, to make them prove beyond a shadow of a doubt where they were born? Same with their background in general. If you want a job as an executive at any large corporation, or even in Law Enforcement, your background is examined in great detail. How did Obama get by, with everything there is to know about him being hid in the shadows. We're talking about the Presidency here! You can't go buy a gun without proof of citizenship and a crime free background. Here you have a guy who is in charges of the most powerful weapons in the world and he hasn't gone through even close to the same scrutiny as someone who wants to buy a 22 caliber handgun!

March 29, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  4. followup

I don't think Trump was born in the U.S. In fact, he looks suspiciously like an alien (as in outer space). Who born on earth has hair like that?

March 29, 2011 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  5. Ted from Phoenix

T-Paw just lost my vote. Trump is not my favorite, but he is asking the right questions and doing his homework. THe Donald is doing what T-Paw should be doing. MAybe we ned to look at T-Paw's birth Certificate?

March 29, 2011 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  6. joefrombflo

Let's see Trump's 9real) birth certificate. I personally don't believe that he was born in the US. And even if he shows us a birth certificate, I won't believe that it si authentic. Trumpp is a foreigner, everybody knows that.

March 29, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  7. T

This is all a GAME......smoke screen............watch and learn.

March 29, 2011 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |