Rubio for vice president?
March 30th, 2011

Rubio for vice president?

(CNN) - Republican Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida predicts he won't be on the GOP presidential ticket in 2012 - in the No. 1 or the No. 2 spot.

"I'm not going to be the vice presidential nominee," Rubio said Tuesday on Fox News' "Hannity." "It's important that I have that attitude too because otherwise I won't be able to do this job well."

The freshman senator, who won his November election with backing from the tea party movement, added Florida deserves a "full-time senator and that's what I want to be," a refrain he used Tuesday morning on ABC's "Good Morning America" when he shot down speculation he'll run for president in 2012.

"I just got elected three months ago, so how can I be a full-time United States senator if my eye's already on something else?" Rubio said.

Since winning election to the Senate, Rubio has refrained from national interviews, but the Fox News and ABC appearances coincided with the release of a Wall Street Journal op-ed in which he outlined his budget and tax reform plans for the country.

– CNN Political Producer Alexander Mooney contributed to this report

Filed under: 2012 • 2012 VP Pick • Marco Rubio
  1. Proud member of "Global Zero"

Not is Florida has anything to say about it. The man is a liar and a cheat! Just "google" Markie and see what comes up. Even his editorial today does not come up first. Seems appropriate that his scandals show up first.
    "Wet foot dry foot" Senator!!!!!

March 30, 2011 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  2. greg in jax

Why do they keep saying the Tea Party got him elected.. when we all know it was the Cuban/Latino population of South Florida that won him the seat. The exact same way Mel Martinez before him won. Put any Cuban up for statewide vote in Florida, and you have yourself a winner.

March 30, 2011 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  3. GOP = Greed Over People

You cannot.

But because you are a member of the GOP and only care about increasing your personal wealth and power and care nothing about the human pods that you merely used as stepping stones to get elected. you will continue to yammer about NOT running for higher office and pretend to care about the aforementioned pod people.

At least you have not pulled a Bailin' Palin and quit your current job...yet..

March 30, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  4. ConservaFascists/FUBAR

This isn't news. This is what I call making up news. The only reason the fascists will want him to run is to get the hispanic vote. They've seen the recent cencus numbers and realize that hispanics are a growing minority. Too bad for the fascists republicans because they've been against any kind of immigration reform. Prime example: DREAM Act

March 30, 2011 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  5. Lindsey

Marco Rubio will have his time. It's just not now. I could see him being a VP choice for Mike Huckabee if he wins the GOP nomination but that's about it. Rubio was an early supporter of Huck in the 2008 election and Huck really likes him. Otherwise Rubio should just serve the people of Florida.

March 30, 2011 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  6. Darth Vadik, CA

Rubio is clever, unlike most of his party he knows he has no chance against Obama...

...anyway, I figured that Rubio comes from one of the Cuban "exile" families, AKA the criminals that got kicked out of Cuba by Castro to get rid of the Cuban criminal problem...now they get to vote and run for office here in the US...but we reward criminals in this country...

March 30, 2011 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  7. SF

you idiot americans out there that keep voting for republicans...you go right ahead and vote for these idiots...they DO NOT HAVE YOUR BEST INTEREST AT HEART! You'll get what you asked for is all I gotta say.

March 30, 2011 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  8. PalmReader

Got any more *minorities* you want to roll out for approval, FOX News? Lets see, we have Bachmann, Palin to cover the female vote . . . Herman Cain/Michael Steele to cover the black vote . . . Rubio to cover the Latino vote . . . Have I missed anyone? Haley Barbour perhaps?

March 30, 2011 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  9. Indy

Rubio is a very rare Republican that appears to live in reality and actually wants to work. With the Republican focus on writing books,slamming the military,slamming the administration,killing middle class,and doing everything BUT creating jobs as promised, it is nice to know there is one that has his feet on the ground.

March 30, 2011 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  10. mgc florida

It seems to me its the media pushing him and a few others into the spotlight to make news not because he or they have done anything to warrant this kind of attention. I live in florida and know him, he really is not all that believe me.
    All of you reporters trying to make a name for yourselves find a good story and actually get the facts instead of all of this made up hype.

March 30, 2011 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  11. Realistic

Everyone on the republican party thinks they can win if they run and to Fox propaganda network all republicans are a viable candidate. I'm glad to see Rubio has enough sense to realize he is not a viable candidate yet and has the responsibility to fullfill his term as one term senator for florida. Also, Bachy, Trumpster, the grumpy old mustache man, Sentorium, Newt *gangrene* and those other ones I might has missed have no chance to win. Mitt, Pawlenty will go through the process but won't win and thus President Obama will be re-lected. So I will thank the republicans and the propaganda network for the side show until election day.

March 30, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  12. Chad from Tampa

Nice to see a newley elected Senator wants to be, well a Senator, unlike someone I know of from Chicago......

March 30, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  13. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

He's a choice I hadn't thought of, but it makes sense. If he runs as VP and loses, he still has his senate seat.

March 30, 2011 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  14. V in Chicago

Finally. A Repubican that "gets it". At least this guy is not trying to join the circus with the rest of the clowns. As in independant voter, this guy is worth keeping an eye on. (Now if he could only lose the "Tea Party" stigma.)

March 30, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |