Cain: Media afraid of a 'real black man'
March 31st, 2011

Cain: Media afraid of a 'real black man'

(CNN) – Potential 2012 presidential candidate Herman Cain said the media is afraid "a real black man might run against Barack Obama."

At a Wednesday appearance in Florida, Cain said if he were elected president "you get a chance to be batting .500" with black presidents.

"If you think about the first 43 presidents, they were all white. Were they all great? I think you have a few duds in that group," Cain said according to a video posted on Shark Tank, a local political site in the sunshine state. "So now you get a chance to be batting .500."

The former Godfather's Pizza CEO and radio host, who previously launched a presidential exploratory committee, also took shots at the media and GOP elite.

"The political establishment is not going to elect Herman Cain. The political elite's are not going to support me," Cain said. "ABC, CBS and NBC they're still in denial that I'm even a legitimate candidate."

And why do members of the media treat Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann of Wisconsin and former Republican Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin so "viciously"?

"Because they know that Michele Bachmann or Sarah Palin is going to draw a lot of the women vote away from the Democrat Party," Cain said. "They are scared to death of that, if they were to run and get the nomination. They are doubly scared that a real black man might run against Barack Obama."

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain
  1. LegendRx

Is that real black as in jet black or keeping it real black as in hood black? Maybe, it's stereotypical black apposed to a true candidate who just happens to be black (President Obama). Not presidential black as in Cain black? Can I stop now?

March 31, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  2. Faith

A real black man? What are you talking about....WE ALREADY ELECTED AND VOTED A REAL BLACK MAN ...for POTUS. Every one of you GOPs need to get over yourselves. Any woman who thinks she can be the nominee for president ...you go ahead put your name of the ballot. Because 2012 will be another landslide and a laughing matter all the way to the poll. Ask Sarah Palin...LOL. I am a woman and I will be casting my vote again for President Obama. Not only casting my vote but supporting his administration, campaigning for his 2nd term, speaking to the new comers (young voters) and the ones who voted for him before. How ridiculous do you look and to stay something so stupid Mr. Cain.

March 31, 2011 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  3. Jon

Two items, Mr. Cain:

1) The media isn't scared of a strong black man. They're scared of you, specifically.
    2) The section of society most likely to be scared of a "strong black man" are the people you're trying to get to vote for you.

March 31, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  4. Richard

This guy is a moron. Bachmann and Palin drawing woman votes from Democrats. Women are a lot smarter than to vote for a woman just becasue she is a woman. Wake up, Cain! Neither they or you have a snow balls chance to be elected because all three are inept at being political savvy.

March 31, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  5. B

This guy Cain reverses everything that Obama is about with his extremists views.
    Obama is tolerant, intelligent, and thoughtful person who understands how to move everyone forward.

Cain is obviously an extremely angry extremist that hurts the cause of not only Black people, but others as well with an attitude.

March 31, 2011 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  6. Pretzel Logic

No actually YOU are in denial if you think you are even a legitimate candidate.

Between "Real Black Man" Cain, "Birther" Trump, and "Civil Rights Museum" Barbour, today has presented some fantastic examples of why no Republican candidate should be taken seriously.

March 31, 2011 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  7. al in memphis

As much as society would not like to admit it, there are valid times for the "black man' mantra –both positive and negative. However, this is not one of them.
    I'm an independent who is more incline to hear what you say and not who/how its being said. If I was a little known canidate, I would be more focus on out-the-box solutions to dealing with tough issues instead of this off the wall statements. Maybe thats what radio host personalities do. If Cain can't respect the President for his politics, he can atleast respect him as a man leading his family, and at this point leading a nation.
    BTW, I'm also and african-american

March 31, 2011 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  8. Snuffy

And PS - I doubt it is the media who is afraid of "a real black man." There are many, many, many individuals who are of that mindset...I suspect very many of his own party, based on the bitter abuse heaped on our...what..."fake black man" president.

March 31, 2011 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  9. me

Wow, how insulting. And just to "go there" I can tell Cain is a real black man by this statement "Because they know that Michele Bachmann or Sarah Palin is going to draw a lot of the women vote away from the Democrat Party." Is? Is?

I'm probably going to Hades for this but oh well.

March 31, 2011 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  10. Roderick

you are no less real than any african american male in this country, either "hood" or educated...but you are more cowardly for not supporting and respecting your own current president. not that you have to agree with him...but respect WHO he is as commander and chief of our country...I didn't like Bush's policy, but I would never let anyone speak disrespectfully about him as a person because he deserved that respect as my president, just as Obama deserves the same...You sir, are a coward and a cheap media hound...just like some of these (NOT ALL...BUT SOME) political extremists...and while you claim to be a "real" black man...remember this...real men don't profess venom with their mouths toward others to further their own social status...

March 31, 2011 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  11. MaryAnn in VA

Mr Cain you are not telling the truth when you imply that women will blindly follow behind Ms Palin or Ms Bachmann. I would like to hear you define "a real Black Man" and I hope you are not using that language because President Obama is of mixed race. Keep talking like that and you won't be elected dog catcher.

March 31, 2011 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  12. Mikey

"you get a chance to be batting .500"

I guess he's planning on striking out if he gets elected, we're batting 1000 with President Obama. Oh heck, might as well throw this clown into the freak show that is the GOP nominee pool.

March 31, 2011 04:38 pm at 4:38 pm |
  13. Anonymous

I take offense every time someone says Sarah Palin or another crony of hers will take Democratic votes away from Obama. As a woman I have every interest in keeping unqualified women out of the White House. Would I like to see a woman president? Absolutely, but not until one who is qualified for the job is running.

March 31, 2011 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |