Feinstein: U.S. shouldn't arm rebels
March 31st, 2011

Feinstein: U.S. shouldn't arm rebels

Washington (CNN) - Senate Intelligence Committee Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein said Thursday that we should not arm rebels in Libya as "we got burned" in previous wars by doing so.

In an interview with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, the California Democrat said, "We did in Afghanistan; we got burned by it. We did in Iraq; we got burned by it. In other words, those weapons cropped up later being used against us, and I don't think that's something we ought to do."

U.S. and British officials say no decision has been made about whether to arm the opposition. "We're not ruling it out or ruling it in," White House press secretary Jay Carney said in a statement Wednesday. "We're assessing and reviewing options for all types of assistance that we could provide to the Libyan people, and have consulted directly with the opposition and our international partners about these matters."
The CIA does have operatives working in Libya, sources tell CNN.

The full interview with Feinstein will be on "The Situation Room" with Wolf Blitzer which airs between 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. ET Thursday.

1. ja

she is correct most of Momar's weapons came form america

March 31, 2011 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  2. FM

I do not see how the rebels can fight and withdraw Gaddafi from power without weapons. Throwing stones and hiding will never reach them anywhere!

March 31, 2011 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  3. Sgt Schultz

She is right. Study the history and origins of Al Queda and bin Laden. One day these folks will take our help and weapons. The next day they can be firing stingers that were made and supplied by USA. Spread liberal Democracy...and keep Obama active in speeches and presentations to the Arab world...such as his appearance in Egypt. Spread social media and propaganda via the internet. The rest is up to the Arab people to decide. We don't need to be directly intervening necessarily to achieve a political victory.

March 31, 2011 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  4. jeff, alabama

Hey, I'm a Republican and
    I give three cheers to Feinstein.
    We should put patriotism and our
    country above our political parties.
    Way to go Dianne Feinstein !!!

March 31, 2011 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  5. Sebastian

And we're doing it in Mexico. If the US was controlling it's guns and ammo, the DRUG CARTELS in Mexico would not be having bloody shootouts or killing US agents as just recently happened.

The home invasions that Arizona, New Mexico & Nevada have experienced wouldn't be happening either. But hell, that's just common sense speaking. Please don't let that get in the way of the much out of date 2nd Ammendment arguments

March 31, 2011 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  6. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Let the CIA do their in Libya before we make any further decisions about whether or not to arm these freedom fighters, and stop calling them Rebels.

March 31, 2011 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  7. moderate voter

What we can do is provide stable leadership for the opposition forces while targeting the leadership of ghandafi's forces.

March 31, 2011 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  8. Capt. Snarky

So, let me get this straight. We intervene (possibly illegally) in another country's civil war. We choose the opposition to win, bomb the crap out of the government forces, and that's it? What good does it do just to eliminate Daffy's heavy weapons? Daffy's forces are still vastly superior in strength and arms than the opposition, no to mention tactics and training.

Tell me Liberals and Progressives – WHY are we here? And how can you suport the President in this issue?

March 31, 2011 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  9. Proud member of "Global Zero"

Ah, no Senator. You are one of the most hawkish democrats I have ever seen. I will not forgive your votes on Iraq, Warantless wire taps, closing Gitmo. I cannot believe that California still elects you. I give Mrs. Boxer much higher marks.

March 31, 2011 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  10. Califnornia Conservative

Yeah Feinstein let's arm our enemies. Are you truly that stupid and ignorant Diane? I'll bet you are.

March 31, 2011 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  11. Darth Vadik, CA

Well this is new from Diane Feinstein...seeing that her husband is connected with the biggest defense contractors, and like John McCain and the freak Lieberman Diane never met a war she didn't like...

I told her personally I would never vote for her again, but she seems to be softening, if she keeps it up I might change my mind...

Don't get excited Republicans, I would rather dive of the tallest building in LA than vote for ANY Republican, even my friends who are Republicans and running for local offices here in LA...

March 31, 2011 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  12. Peter s

Feinstein stands for Cut and Run!!

March 31, 2011 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  13. New Age Independant

Obama has floundered miserably with the Libya situation. It's painfully obvious that he doesn't know what to do. It's almost like Biden is running the country.

March 31, 2011 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |