House budget chairman to propose Medicare, Medicaid changes
April 3rd, 2011

House budget chairman to propose Medicare, Medicaid changes

Washington (CNN) – House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan said Sunday he will unveil a Republican budget for 2012 this week that proposes dramatic changes to Medicare, Medicaid and other political lightning rods.

The plan, to be released Tuesday, calls for a controversial overhaul of Medicare, the health care program for seniors, and would impose deep cuts in Medicaid, which provides health benefits to low-income Americans, Ryan told "Fox News Sunday."

FULL STORY

Filed under: Budget • Congress • Paul Ryan
  1. terry,va

Before all you dumbocraps start screaming about how immoral Ryan is, I can tell you how to balance the budget without a lot of cuts to Medicare and Medicaid. It's very simple. This is directed to the 41% of you deadbeats that don't pay any taxes. I say if you have ANY income then you should pay taxes. For those of you that don't have an income, get a job. Time to come off the 3 year unemployment plan Obummie put in. When everyone contributes then we all feel some pain. To lay around and not contribute is more immoral than to be forced to cut some programs. The tax code needs revised. Sorry Obummie buddies at GE, no more 14.2 billion dollar profit and zero in taxes. Sorry 41%, START PAYING SOMETHING. The rest of us needs to pay taxes based on wages and not write offs and loopholes. Until the tax code is fixed we will be arguing about the need for this program or that.

April 3, 2011 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  2. Jen

Sure, cut funding that might actually help people so the already wealthy can have more. What's wrong with this picture? Oh nothing, just corrupt American politics- nothing new.

April 3, 2011 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  3. stevetall

This is all part of the plan to make a few Americans extremely rich, and the other 90% of us poor. I am so sick of the whole Republican agenda and their ability to tie their greed with just enough religious-social mumbo-jumbo to sell it to the less educated among us. Seriously, people. These greedheads are destroying the very thing that makes America great: Liberty and Justice for all of us, not just those who can afford to buy their own political party. So, now they want to destroy the programs that serve the poor and the old.

What they should be doing is spending our money more wisely, taxing the people in this country who can afford to pay, and taking better care of all of our citizens. If only the Democrats would grow a pair, we could kick the crap out of the greedy schoolyard bullies that the Republicans have become.

April 3, 2011 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  4. Proud member of "Global Zero"

@Terry,VA. Stop with the name calling and disrespect. You may get people to read your post and not just shut you out. My 19 year old daughter working at McDonalds pays more taxes than most big companies. How is that fair? We ALL pay taxes. Do you not ever buy anything? We pay taxes at the grocery store, we pay taxes on our homes, insurance, telephone, electric bills, gas station, even eating out...if we could ever afford it. My family does not make much money but I pay income tax. I want my taxes to go to green energy and job creation, not to war. I want my taxes to go for education, not tax breaks to oil companies. I want my tax dollars to go to health care, not to Wallstreet. What is wrong with what I said? Love to hear your rebuttal.

April 3, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  5. one voice

@Terry,va: You have to be one of the biggest CLOWNS on the internet, PUT A SOCK IN IT.

April 3, 2011 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  6. vic nashville tn

Last Thursday I was watching situation room one news shocked me that is last year GE made $14 billions profit tax they paid zero. I got that point they don’t need to pay because of previous lost
    The fact is middle class always bail out corporation in different from

Republicans want to cut on health benefits for poor and seniors

Now I remember well “Shovel ready”

April 3, 2011 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  7. terry,va

Before all you idiots start hollering about the rich getting tax cuts, let me remind you they didn't get a tax cut. ALL taxpayers pay the same % that they have over the last 8-9 years. The so called Bush tax cuts applied to ALL taxpayers. I really wish that Obummie would have let the Bush tax cuts expire last year. I can stand it if you can. The real solution to the budget problem still remains all the deadbeats not contributing and corporations like GE paying nothing in taxes.

April 3, 2011 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  8. one voice

If this don't put our Seniors in an uproar, they must be drinking the GOP/TEAPARTY KOOLAID. Democrats 2012 and beyond to save the middle class.

April 3, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  9. one voice

Ryan is patiently waiting for his secret under the table MILLION DOLLAR ENVELOPE from his CORPORATE MASTERS.

April 3, 2011 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  10. terry,va

@ Proud member of "Global Zero'...we aren't that far apart. I agree that corporations like GE that made 14.2 billion in profits should pay taxes. I also agree that my tax dollars should support people who CAN'T work and need help. The taxes that I'm talking about is Federal taxes. How can someone get tax refunds that pay NOTHING in federal taxes. This is just more welfare. Sorry, paying sales taxes or user taxes doesn't give people the right to say they pay taxes. Anyone who makes a wage should contribute and the taxes should be based on their wages not how much you can write off.

April 3, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  11. Proud member of "Global Zero"

@Terry VA. I am not an idiot. Did you know that the house tried to pass a bill that would stop tax cuts going to companies that sent jobs overseas? Every Republican voted AGAINST it. I will admit that 5 democrats voted against it too but, if even 7 Republicans would have joined the majority of Democrats...we would have been at the start of smart tax reform. Who do you think votes to keep big business with slick tax loop holes intact? Republicans. They just don 't get it. It has not always been this way but, it is now. Do some research.

April 3, 2011 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  12. terry,va

@ Proud member of global zero... no one called you and idiot. Why does Obummie have Jeff Immelt of GE as the head of his jobs creation program? And 5 billion dollars of the 14.2 were made in the USA. The US earnings should have been about 1.75 billion dollars to the government. Tell me how you can support corporations like GE paying nothing? My point was to eliminate all the tax loopholes AND make all deadbeats contribute.

April 3, 2011 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  13. terry,va

@ one voice... when you don't have a reasonable argument or facts you go to the gutter...this clown will have the last laugh as people will have to WORK for a living and then contribute taxes like the 59% of us do.

April 3, 2011 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  14. Tina, NC

The last plan Ryan came up with was reviewed by the CBO and would have raised taxes on everyone but the rich and would have exploded the deficit even more. Not to mention handing over Medicare to the health insurance industry. It'll be interesting to hear all the whining from the tea party when they are forced to pay a Medicare tax to enrich health insurance companies. I can't wait to see the signs Granny comes up with when BCBS has their hands on her Medicare. Which Bush did with Medicare Part D at a cost of 14% more and rising every year. Ryan's plan will, as always with repubs, enrich the already rich, and make the poor poorer.

I never hear all these people who are tired of paying taxes complain when people who make over 100k don't pay Medicare or Social Security taxes on any amount over the 100k. Forcing them to pay at the same rate everyone else does seems fair to me.

April 3, 2011 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  15. Proud member of "Global Zero"

@terry,va. That is a bad move on the Presidents part. He is in a non paid adviser to some committee that sounds good but does nothing. I do not agree with everything this President is doing but, I blame congress more. The house has the purse strings as stated in the constitution. We should not have extended the Bush Tax cuts but living in Florida, I know how high the unemployment is. Most people were laid off in the construction business. This still has not picked up. Taxes are low here but insurance is WAY HIGH! I know have to pay the state for "Hurricane Insurance" on my 15 year old car. When people are employed the tax revenue goes up. You cannot keep cutting revenue and expect to maintain basic services.

I know quite a few construction contractors that are not working. Unemployment benefits were a necessity. You cannot starve those that lost their jobs, hold them hostage and not expect the President to compromise. Odd jobs on Craig's List and other sources help. It is not a full time job.

By the way, my husband was laid off....he works two jobs now to help with the bills. I was laid off twice by the school board in the last two years and picked back up both times. With the cuts coming now in Florida....expect huge unemployment numbers. The $44.39 tax break I got on my property is not worth the 3% cut to my paycheck.

April 3, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  16. Wire Palladin, S. F.

@terry, va: I think you forget that for the last 8-10 years, the wealthiest did get a tax cut under the Bush administration. Prior to that, the rate was same Clinton rate that created all the jobs and a booming economy. While I am delighted to hear of your personal rags to riches story, you really need to shut off Fox, and face facts. The wealthiest Americans received a tax cut from Bush during his first the lame duck session, and those cuts did releatively little good, as 8 million jobs were lost during the Bush/republican debacle.

April 3, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  17. Wire Palladin, S. F.

He should hurry and get it done, as I am confident he will not be reelected in 2012. Fire Boner too!

April 3, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  18. Marry

They do not want “changes”! They want to get rid of it!! Please just take a minute and consider the consequences if this goes their way: You do need these services you have already paid for. But, the GOP/TP would like for you to pay again – this time into the pockets of their friends at conditions they set. Bravo, this will put you in a bind while the others laugh all the way to the bank!

April 3, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  19. B

If Congress messes with Social Security and Medicare then Congress should give up their Government health care entitlements as well or take a comparable cut in its benefits.

It is about time they get in touch with and understand what most working and retired people are dealing with!

April 3, 2011 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  20. George

Who cares about what the Republican have to offer? The majority of us have an idea and we are waiting for 2012 to make our voices heard.

April 3, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  21. garey

t,Va, " Its your kind of nonsense,that troubles this country. Its obvious you don,t work,or go to school, your Tea and Crumpetts,Man? Your nothing but "Teabag" Trash! Spare us Please?

April 3, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |