TRENDING: Fey defends Palin impersonation
April 5th, 2011

TRENDING: Fey defends Palin impersonation

(CNN) – Comedienne Tina Fey might be most well known for her 2008 portrayal of Sarah Palin on Saturday Night Live – an impersonation that, to the detriment of the McCain campaign, led many to confuse Fey with the real thing.

But now Fey is defending her role as Palin amid critics who say she unfairly exploited the Alaska governor.

"Some may argue that exploiting Governor Palin and her family helped bring attention to my low-rated TV show," writes Fey of 30 Rock, the NBC show that has struggled in the ratings despite critical acclaim.

Fey's comments appear in her new memoir, "Bossypants," an advance copy of which was obtained by USA Today.

"I am proud to say you are wrong," she continues. "My TV show still enjoys very low ratings. In fact, I think the Palin stuff may have hurt the TV show. Let's face it, between Alec Baldwin and me there is a certain fifty percent of the population who think we are pinko Commie monsters."

Despite appearing at Fey's side on Saturday Night Live shortly before the 2008 presidential election, Palin has since made clear she is no fan of the actress that many believe defined the former Alaska governor more than anyone else.

In a 2009 interview with conservative John Ziegler, Palin said of Fey, "I know that a lot of people are capitalizing on, oh I don't know, perhaps some exploiting that was done via me, my family, my administration – that's a little bit perplexing, but it also says a great deal about our society."

Filed under: Sarah Palin • Tina Fey
  1. I_love_politics

Tina Fey need NOT defend herself. She did excellent job repeating what Sarah Palin said in her interviews. There is nothing wrong about it.

April 5, 2011 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  2. Gene Brady

Tina Fey and her portrayal of palin was right on target and palin LOVED it back then. As soon as she quit her job as Governor and became a professional "whinner" she suddenly found fault with being a dumbas-. It took her that long to realize what had happened and that the world laughs at her. Both women are who they are and neither has changed.

April 5, 2011 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  3. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

It is said that ignorance is bliss... This explains Sarah Palin's constant smile.

It is said that it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak, removing all doubt... And yet Sarah Palin INSISTS on showing us the limits of her knowledge and wit.

April 5, 2011 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  4. anagram_kid

If she cannot handle the satire of a late night TV show, how could she possibly manage the scrutiny of a leadership role?

April 5, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  5. carlos

I did not know who Tina Fey was until she prortrayed Sarah Palin, now she is one of my favorite comedians, her impersonation of Palin was great, I hope Tina Fey does not let herself be intimidated and continues her fantastic impersonation of S. Palin, by the way I became a fan of Live Saturday Night since her appearance as well. Great Job Ms. Fey !!!.

April 5, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  6. Michael

If it were not for Tina Fey's impersonation, Palin would be a speck on the political screen. She owes Fey a lot. When it comes to her critics, Palin should follow her own advice and shut up. Does she really believe that the Commander and Chief can be as thin skinned as herself? Besides, what Fey did pales in comparison to the things Palin has said about her political foes. Once again she's at the head of the "Do as we say, not as we do" class.

April 5, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  7. Raz

I guess she exploited herself when she went on the GD show herself then. What a complete moron on so many levels.

April 5, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  8. Lone Rider

Hey Tina you cant have it both ways. No not even you. girly

April 5, 2011 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  9. ACE

If anyone should know about exploiting it is Sarah Palin, she even quit being Governor to exploit her new found fame. Fame for what I do not know, because I definately wish she would just shut up and go away, far, far away.

April 5, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  10. Robert

Come now! The critics attacking Tina Fey for her impersonation of Palin. I thought it was quite good and it exposed Palin as the non-candidate she really was.

April 5, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  11. a little sad

The difference between the political satire with Palin and the political satire with many other figures is that in many cases, all Fey had to do is repeat Pailn's words verbatum.

No ones fault but Palin's that they made her sound ridiculous, she WAS ridiculous.

April 5, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  12. Alex

Fey didn't have to mock Palin. She repeated her words back verbatim and let the inherent idiocy shine.

April 5, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  13. Cisco

Tina is a comic and palin is a joke

April 5, 2011 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  14. Dan

Pansy conservatives get their panties in a bunch because of a parody? Does that work in reverse, when Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, or others do it then? My bad, what these gasbags must be the truth to conservatives? LOL

April 5, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  15. Greg

Paying for a movie is discretionary spending but TV stars make millions from marketing costs taken from the consumer even if the show isn't watched by said consumer. Thinking highly of herself would be less arrogant if she made her money from true discretionary spending. I'm neither for or against Palin but its obvious Fey's, Alaska joke was taken out of context and used repeatedly by unenlightened people. I don't like FOX News or extremist liberal media. If you do not do balance material you are an unbalance person, organization, or country. Bash or praise both parties and you may get more of my respect. Someone like Barbara Walters shouldn't get any respect as a journalist because she has chosen the opinion and entertainment route as a career option

April 5, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  16. Jeff

"As I recall, the funniest sketch Tina Fey did as Palin was the one where she used Palin's words verbatim."

Yup.

April 5, 2011 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  17. Litterboxrox

Sarah Palin is the most passive aggressive professional victim I have ever seen. She is pathological. Every time she opens her mouth it is, "Oh, poor me, poor me. SNL is making fun of me, the liiberal media doesn't treat anyone else this way, Katie Couric doesn't ask other people what they read. It's just not fair. It's not fair."

April 5, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  18. santorumzagenius

Does Palin remember that Tina Fey's Palin quoted her, verbatim. That was what made it so funny, that she didn't even need writers, she just said exactly what Palin said.

April 5, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  19. Tam

That says a lot about Palin - ungrammatical, almost incoherent - this would be our leader?!

April 5, 2011 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  20. katy Heys

Sarah Palin becomes more and more irrelevant every time she opens her ignorant mouth. If Sarah was not attractive, she would be history already and that says a lot about America today.

April 5, 2011 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  21. George

Tina, your Palin was spot on. Screw the critics

April 5, 2011 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  22. Tam

Palin and her cohorts are the free entertainment that don't cost anything. Ya couldn't make this up! The gift that keeps on giving.

April 5, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  23. Debbie from Arizona

But Sarah, you gave her so much to work with. Fey was great, still is. Is it a surprise to anyone that Sarah is once again the victim?

April 5, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  24. John

Unfortunately for Palin, making fun of her is like 'shooting fish in a barrel.' There's just so much to choose from!

April 5, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  25. Haemisch

I think Palin shouldn't have gone on SNL if she felt so exploited. It is, however, not true that SNL satirizes everyone. I have yet to hear any real criticism from their camp about Barack Obama. The only thing they manage to do is make him look like a competant guy surrounded by fools.

April 5, 2011 10:45 am at 10:45 am |