Washington (CNN) – Top White House and congressional negotiators failed to reach an agreement Tuesday on a budget to cover the remainder of the current fiscal year, bringing the federal government closer to a shutdown at the end of the week.
Key Democrats rejected a Republican proposal to keep the government running for one more week at the cost of an additional $12 billion in cuts. Republicans, meanwhile, dismissed Democrats' insistence that there had been an agreement to cut $33 billion for the rest of the fiscal year.
The Republics want give Medicare to the private health insurers. Social Security is next. If you believe in a corporate welfare state, then vote for the g.o.p.
...by making google, exxon and Ge pay their fair share of taxes.
Dear Speaker Boehner, if you cut funding from the new healthcare law, will you personally make sure insurance companies won't discriminate against me because of my preexisting condition? I'm a hard working person who have ALWAYS had employer-based health insurance. The healthcare law protected my right to keep my insurance and make them live up their end of the deal (providing insurance IF I need medical care).
The President has tried so hard to compromise. The Tea Party element in the GOP could care less about the poor and less fortunate. The GOP is doing a terrible injustice to our country at this time in history. After 8 years of misery with Cheney et al running the country we have a chance to do things right; however, the GOP will not cooperate.
No matter how badly we screw over the poor and middle class this White house is there to make sure our millionaires NEVER PAY A DIME
"What we can't do is have a 'my way or the highway' approach to this problem,"
Then you better get ready to capitulate to the GOP again.
Just remember, the GOP stated agenda is for "America to fail".
So, shutting down the government or not raising the debt ceiling is a win/win to them.
And to Hell with the "little people" formally known as the middle class of America.
Too little to late Obama. Notice Obama only gets involved now, yet the whole idea behind being president is to show leadership and to actually lead. Where was Obama last year when the liberals refused to pass a budget? Its Obama and the liberals fault we are at this point.
Ha, what a joke! Wasn't "my way or the highway " approach how he and the Democrats got Obamacare rammed through?
Ah yes, the double-standard, of course.
Hmm Our way or the Highway is he talking about the health care reform act? How can anyone seriously take Obama's word to heart on the budget ? This is a President that feels entitles to take numerous vacations on our dollars. When was the last time he had a budget to follow? Our political leaders don't get it the taxpayers are broke, we can no longer afford these luxuries given out. We will not get serious talks until out politicians learn to tighten their belts first.
Here's a couple FACTS that CNN won't report because it completely undercuts any credibility people want to pretend that Ryan's fantasy-land farce of a budget proposal has:
1. He can't explain where he gets his numbers, especially the claim that completely defunding and repealing the health care reform legislation will decrease the deficit...which is, of course, quite the opposite of what the CBO says. Ryan says repeal would save something ridiculous like $1.4B over the next 10 years and CBO predicts (a) leaving it alone would save $120B over ten years and (b) repeal would COST $200B over the next decade. A $1.6B difference indicates that someone's full of crap. Now, take yourselves over to the CBO website and look at the creditials of the Panel of Econmic Advisors and the Panel of Health Advisors and compare them to Ryan's credentials as "Useful Idiot Ideology Parrot."
2. His predictions include and are based on a study he asked Heritgage Foundation to do which concluded...now get this load of malarky...that his budget would reduce the unemployment rate to FOUR PERCENT by 2015, which, as everyone should know, would mean 1% below 5% unemployment, i.e., what is otherwise known as "full employment." Not a single expert economist out there has predicted it is possible to get to 5% unemployment for several several years, let alone surpassing it in a little over 3. It's total fairy tale daydream voodoo cockamamee BS pie-in-the-sky ideological drivel...just liek their trickle-down nonsense always was, is and ever shall be. Not only that, the Fed raises interest rates if we dip below 5% unemployment in order to prevent rising salaries from spurring inflation...think about how much fun that is and how likely it is that Ryan's tinfoil hatted head fathomed the effect that might have on his predictions.
The only reason a deal cannot be reached is YOU Mr. Obama!!! Your spend, spend, spend, no accountability agenda of BIG Government is crippling our nation. We cannot afford your radical agenda, Americans want an end to the ridiculous spending, one side is working on doing that, and saving our future, while your radical leftists extremists cannot give up wasteful spending. It's simple math, you want ONE BILLION DOLLARS so you can try and get re-elected, I guess you are starting to realize its going to take an insane amount of cash to buy another term because even you know you are a one termer. ONE BILLION DOLLARS!! The country's broke, unemployed, and the value of the dollar is a joke, and you want people to donate ONE BILLION DOLLARS so that you can continue with another four years of slamming your agenda down our throats agains't the will of the people.
Lawmakers are a microcosm of the American Public. Neither side will give up anything to fix debt, and ignore the problem. That will solve a credit crisis. Put responsibility on someone else, say that your ideas are best and not compromise, and shout louder than the other person.
Whatever gets your name and face on the news. Shout your rhetoric (left or right) the loudest, and that means your point is the most valid. I'm sick of a nation where "compromise" has become a dirty word and not how civilized people do business. Afterall, we've been teaching ourselves that "you lose unless you get everything you want, all the time."
1. Let's first cut out the spending that is going out of the country.
2. Let those decision makers be part of the cuts – salary-wise, insurance-wise, etc.
3. Let's quit playing with people's lives.
4. How do you think we look to other countries – not so strong I would think and going down hill real quick.
5. And iit all goes back to – who is putting how much into whose pocket.
Very very sad – that the american people have to suffer cause of the games the decision makers play.
looks like Barry is a little puckered up.....he is going to screw this up just like he has screwed everything else up...4 and the door......C ya Barry
Take it out of the profits of corporate F-Everybody America, not to be passed-on to people in any way, as citizens, customers, employees, etc.; big business caused this whole mess in the first place (see FCIC report) so they should pay for it all. In fact the U.S. Department of Justice should level civil lawsuits against all corporations for this, or at least those corporations and their officers who are most to blame, like AIG, Bear Stearns, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, etc. to pay back the American people for the devastating harm they have caused, lost wages, lost homes, tanking the entire global economy, making labor cheap, plentiful, desperate and obedient, etc. Send the bill to the corporate pigs.
Why didn't the Dems do this last year when they were supposed to?
Take it out of the profits of corporate F-Everybody America, not to be passed-on to people in any way, as citizens, customers, employees, etc.; big business caused this whole mess in the first place (see FCIC report) so they should pay for it all. In fact the U.S. Department of Justice should level civil lawsuits against all corporations for this, or at least those corporations and their officers who are most to blame, like AIG, Bear Stearns, Goldman Sachs, Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, etc. to pay back the American people for the devastating harm they have caused, lost wages, lost homes, tanking the entire global economy, making labor cheap, plentiful, desperate and obedient, etc.
"I’m not gonna allow the senate nor the white house to put us in a box where we have to make a choice between two bad options."
What Boehner doesn't seem to get is, they're *ALL* bad options.
Stand strong Obama and Democrats!! Don’t buy into the conservative litany on the role of government and on the need for spending cuts. Stand strong Obama and Democrats and keep the American civilization intact. Stand strong Obama and Democrats and vouchsafe social safety net from the radical Tea Party. Stand strong Obama and Democrats or stand alone next November.
Ah, yes Boehner "no smoke and mirrors" – that's why one of the hot button items being debated is cutting all funding for Planned Parenthood to satisfice your anti-abortion backers, even though the Planned Parenthood funding has nothing to do with abortion. Just what exactly does your smoke and mirrors have to do with JOBS Boehner?
repubs are only interested in cutting programs they don't like, and keeping in breaks and giveaways to corporations, the rich and the military.
"What we can't do is have a 'my way or the highway' approach to this problem," he told reporters at the White House.---------You mean like you did with Obamacare?
Then put ALL agency's budgets on the cutting block...to include DEFENSE..
You GO! Obama! Mak'em WORK for their pay for a change!
That's right, the pay WE Americans give them!
[~or~ shall we say, THEY TAKE...]
It's about time!!