Big payday for Bristol Palin
April 6th, 2011

Big payday for Bristol Palin

(CNN) - Sarah Palin isn't the only member of the famous Alaska family that's raked in serious amounts of cash.

Daughter Bristol Palin made serious cash from the Candie's Foundation- a group that promotes abstinence to teenagers, according to a 2009 tax return from the group first posted by the blog Palingates and reported by several media organizations.

So what's the going rate for an abstinence promoter these days?

Apparently $262,000, according to the tax returns.

The younger Palin, then 18, was made an ambassador to the group in 2009 – months after giving birth to son Trip. She is no longer seeing Trip's father, Levi Johnston. Her work included giving speeches before teenagers, as well as appearing on television shows and in advertisements to raise awareness about the issue.

"I am so happy to have this opportunity to work with The Candie's Foundation on spreading the message of teen pregnancy prevention," Palin said when she was named to the position in May of 2009. "

"I feel that I could be a living example of the consequences of teen pregnancy. If I can prevent even one girl from getting pregnant, I will feel a sense of accomplishment."

Palingates is run by a group that calls themselves "The Sarah Palin Watchdog Team."

Filed under: Bristol Palin
  1. Mihoda

What amazing talent she has. I'm sure the contribution to the economy was worth it.

April 6, 2011 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  2. Alan

So...the message is get pregnant as a teenager, and receive a huge paycheck? I think you just incentivized the very thing you are fighting against...

But that's okay. It makes me feel so much better knowing teachers are getting pay cuts, but an 18 year old, uneducated girl can make that much money for having unprotected sex. Go America!

April 6, 2011 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  3. T'sah from Virginia

Now let's get an African American teenager or another teenager of COLOR that's NOT famous and also had a child out of wedlock and let them parade around the country and earn $262,000!!!!!!!

Long BEFORE Bristol got PREGNANT as a TEEN, American teenagers were in the same boat and were NEVER offered the chance to make money off of it. In addition, they were ridicule by the media and the RIGHTeous RIGHT. These OTHER teens may NOT have come from a family that "proudly" THOUGHT they were practicing "abstinence" but behind the scenes the exact opposite was being performed!!!

There is a "double standard" in America and now the HIDDEN is “proudly” surfacing to the front so the world WATCH..............including the TP and their followers who feel that they are God's gift on earth and more Holier than Thou!! They embrace situation when they cannot explain it or it "embarrasses" them and come up with a solution that is all of a sudden RIGHT!!! Pathetic!

["I am so happy to have this opportunity to work with The Candie's Foundation on spreading the message of teen pregnancy prevention,”] And how does she propose doing this – ABSTINENCE???? Give me a BREAK!!!

April 6, 2011 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  4. vp

Are you starting to see what the Palins are in this for?

It's not for US!

April 6, 2011 09:26 am at 9:26 am |
  5. George B from Ohio

lol, the irony ... only in America folks.

April 6, 2011 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  6. rick

Wait a minute! If this is a non-profit foundation, shouldn't she be volunteering her time and not get paid for giving talks to teenagers? I mean, her mother makes millions and she needs to take money from a non-profit organization? Is there no limit to the greed in this money hungry family?

April 6, 2011 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  7. integrity much?

Really? So the person who makes the wrong choice is the person who gets paid?

April 6, 2011 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  8. Jane

Abstinence obviously didn't work for Bristol – she seems the least qualified person on earth to be preaching abstinence....how irresponsible and hypocritical for those who booked this harpie to have her preaching to kids about anything sex related.

April 6, 2011 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  9. Jim

Only in America can one go from not having a pot to P**s in to having a nice bank account overnight. Bristol was nothing but a pimple deep in the annals of suffering humanity a few years ago but once again thanks John 'Senile' McCain for bringing these hillbillies into the limelight. Now if only they would go away and take the rest of stupid America who loves these clowns with them.

April 6, 2011 09:29 am at 9:29 am |
  10. Carol

"I feel that I could be a living example of the consequences of teen pregnancy." What consequences has she paid for getting pregnant? She raked in 10 times what I earned (and I do mean earned) last year.

April 6, 2011 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  11. Cindy

uh...where's the downside? She ended up pregnant, not married, no skills, and now makes $262,000.00? Give me
    a break. Get a real job, see what it's like to really be an unwed teen mother. what a joke

April 6, 2011 09:30 am at 9:30 am |
  12. Thomas

I have a pot that would like to be paid $262,000 for calling a kettle black. Where do I sign it up?

April 6, 2011 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  13. Bob from Pittsburgh

Absolutely hilarious... get knock and make some incredible amount of cash… ha ha ha ha..

A high school drop out with an IQ of aa old shoe making more than a doctor, an engineer, a professor.. ha ha ha…

Just hilarious…

April 6, 2011 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  14. rusty155

Yes this Is a good Idea ,pay Bristol Palin to go around and talk to kid about having kid. All you ding Is showing that how must money you should make If you do. This Is the DUMBEST thing I ever hear of. This almost must as bad as taking a horse to water than not let him drink.I just don't get why all you dumb people are just dieing too gave the Palin all your money. You know I think the hole family Isn't nothing but dumb, but you people remind me of that Movie DUMB AND DUMBER.Quit paying these IDIOT so they will go back were they be long, maybe Russia.

April 6, 2011 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  15. Derek

Funny how her opinion of abstinence only as a failed program suddenly disappears when you wave a quarter million dollars in her face. Apple didn't fall far from the tree in this family.

April 6, 2011 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  16. masonjarjar

and the rich get richer.. when people that are already rich get the opportunity to pull in 6 figures plus for giving a few speeches, you know the lower and middle classes really don't have a chance..

April 6, 2011 09:32 am at 9:32 am |
  17. Shiranee Dassanayake

As always- Americans are over the top.

April 6, 2011 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  18. Amazing

In an age where there is uproar about what is paid to executives and public workers, why is a non-profit shelling out $300K for a spokeperson? If she was really supportive, then she would do it for free. For example, various stars have done free campaigns for the YMCA. In the end, Bristol has done exactly what everyone accused her former fiance of doing. She capitailzed on her 15 minutes of fame financially. Can't wait to see Momma Grizzly spins this one!

April 6, 2011 09:33 am at 9:33 am |
  19. mc

Yep her message should resonate well, get pregnant and makes lots of money off it. A real lesson to other teenage girls. Glad my daughters came to me instead of listenting to her and her stupid mother.

April 6, 2011 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  20. Grogster

Wow, young Ms. Palin is the embodiment of the consequences of becoming an unwed teen mother. What is her message? Get knocked up, get into a public spat with the father, talk about how bad it is to be in her situation, and rake in a cool quarter million dollars a year during an economic downturn.

April 6, 2011 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  21. Larry L

What a generous thing for Sarah's offspring to do... Who knew that pre-marital sex could have such a great pay-off? The fact that abstinence training has proven to be a miserable failure shouldn't make a difference. Right-wingers create their own reality. I hear Newt's offering a book about honesty in marriage.

April 6, 2011 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  22. John

how can a unmarried pregnant teenager be the champion of abstinence?

April 6, 2011 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  23. Derek

To most people and any corporation, thats complete failure. Its a bunch of BS people tell themselves to hide the lack of accomplishment.

April 6, 2011 09:35 am at 9:35 am |
  24. chris

So here is my question, why is she on the Political Ticker?
    I mean in all seriousness, teen pregnancy has been going on for HOW MANY YEARS?
    Yet, it is finally getting major media attention because BP, is the daughter of SP who quit her job and is a media hound for attention? I swear this Country can be the biggest joke when it comes to its values!!! It seems nothing in this country that doesn't get major media attention until it happens to someone that is either a celebrity or politician. The everyday person really doesn't stand a chance!!!

April 6, 2011 09:36 am at 9:36 am |
  25. The Choobs

And what does Mike Huckabee have to say about Brostol's out-of-wedlock=having=a=baby-ness? Oh, it's okay for pro-lifers, just not for Academy Award winning actresses who probably voted for Obama. Sorry Ms. Portman.

April 6, 2011 09:36 am at 9:36 am |