Big payday for Bristol Palin
April 6th, 2011

Big payday for Bristol Palin

(CNN) - Sarah Palin isn't the only member of the famous Alaska family that's raked in serious amounts of cash.

Daughter Bristol Palin made serious cash from the Candie's Foundation- a group that promotes abstinence to teenagers, according to a 2009 tax return from the group first posted by the blog Palingates and reported by several media organizations.

So what's the going rate for an abstinence promoter these days?

Apparently $262,000, according to the tax returns.

The younger Palin, then 18, was made an ambassador to the group in 2009 – months after giving birth to son Trip. She is no longer seeing Trip's father, Levi Johnston. Her work included giving speeches before teenagers, as well as appearing on television shows and in advertisements to raise awareness about the issue.

"I am so happy to have this opportunity to work with The Candie's Foundation on spreading the message of teen pregnancy prevention," Palin said when she was named to the position in May of 2009. "

"I feel that I could be a living example of the consequences of teen pregnancy. If I can prevent even one girl from getting pregnant, I will feel a sense of accomplishment."

Palingates is run by a group that calls themselves "The Sarah Palin Watchdog Team."

Filed under: Bristol Palin
  1. Tom

I don't see what the big deal is....If my name was as recognizable as the Palin's, I would do exactly what they are doing...MAKE MONEY selling the name. Make it now, while you can.

April 6, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  2. efntrooper

So let me get this straight ... This girl gets pregnant, and then starts an abstinence coalition, and then has the audacity to rake in $262,000 in salary. So, she's making money off of those sympathetic to teenage moms, while also promoting abstinence. This is just like the Palins ... they always want it both ways. They want to be popular without acting like they want to be popular. Polticians, while beating up other politicians. When are people going to realize this is a family gold-diggers?

April 6, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  3. Ian

I guess "the consequences of teen pregnancy" include a 6 figure salary.

April 6, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  4. Stephen in Bedford, TX

When celebrities get paid that much for being spokespersons of organizations promoting various social issues and causes it is a shame and an embarrassment for the celebrity. I'm so sick of the whole Palin clan. Whenever I think about anything involving that group of self-serving primadonas I get even madder at John McCain for introducing that group to the lower 48. He should resign in disgrace for the dumbing down of politics by suggesting that stupid woman and her clan are presidential material. Good Lord.

April 6, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  5. YOI

This is such a joke I don't even have words for it. But we don't want to raise taxes from the rich and rather take it from middle class.

April 6, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  6. maine liberal

Candie's Foundation- a group that promotes abstinence to teenagers, LMAO

who is exploiting Sarah now, her entire family

Fey is defending her role as Palin amid critics who say she unfairly exploited the Alaska governor.

"Some may argue that exploiting Governor Palin and her family helped bring attention to my low-rated TV show," writes Fey of 30 Rock, the NBC show that has struggled in the ratings despite critical acclaim.

April 6, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  7. Peter

Like mother, like daughter. Quite the family of grifters, living the high life off the public.

It's disgusting that a public charity pays Bristol Palin over a quarter of a million dollars and they give a measly $35,000 to organizations that help reduce teen pregnancy. Someone needs to look into this Candie's Foundation. Sounds like their tax-exempt status needs to be revoked.

April 6, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  8. rs

Yep, being immoral pays off again. Is there anything a Palin won't do for money?

April 6, 2011 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  9. Kevy

Wow... I didn't know you could make so much money for being dumb enough not take a pill.

April 6, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  10. Debbie from Arizona

Like mother, like daughter. By the way, exactly what consequences has Bristol suffered from having a baby out of wedlock, making money hand over fist?

April 6, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  11. Jim

Hypocrisy at it's finest. "Abstinence is the right thing, except if your'e me!" Both the pro-abstinence group and Bristol come out looking like a bunch of hypocrites.

April 6, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  12. Bob in SC

Just like mom. Money Money Money

April 6, 2011 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  13. Michael

Umm.. she gets a quarter of a million dollars to tell people to not do what she did?

Whaaattt?

April 6, 2011 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  14. Dave

Young Girls of America...get knocked up early and you too can either be on a MTV reality show or rake in a quarter million a year.

April 6, 2011 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  15. Awed

Figures. I'm quite sure there are others out there doing 100% more than she is in the same effort and they aren't being paid squat if anything at all. Although I'm not surprised, just like her mom hitting up ignorant people who actually consider her someone of importance or influence. She and her mom are pathetic, and it's sickening they get paid this much for doing absolutely NOTHING to earn their fame other than a desperate act from John McCain to get more votes. My faith in humanity drops every time I see their name.

April 6, 2011 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  16. Linton

A pregnant teen serving as an advocate for abstinence.........how rich! (Pun intended)

What's next? Bush serving as an advocate for the Constitution?

Obama as an advocate for living up to one's promises?

If this little girl is so driven to help young girls not get pregnant – sh'ed do it for free. But alas, she's her mommy's daughter and won't do a thing without being paid TONS of cash!

Keep on fakin' – it's a fake world you're makin'!

April 6, 2011 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  17. Poser

Why is it those on the far right continue to push their view of abstinence as a form of birth control even though the facts prove it's ineffective. I don't blame Bristol here. As a very young adult, I'm pretty sure she's being led by her parents and I suppose the $$ is nice too.

Why would anyone choose someone who got pregnant with 'abstinence only' birth control as the poster child for that failed method? It's just more ideology over facts. It's pretty sad that pushing this just results in more unwanted or at least unexpected pregnancies. Real birth control isn't rocket science but at least it's science.

April 6, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  18. hannah01

Wow! I guess she considers her son a "consequence' now. I'd say he was the goose that laid the golden egg... Amazing what a high school diploma can do for you.

April 6, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  19. ThinkAgain

Wow, think how that $262,000 could have been used to help teen moms and their children in need ...

April 6, 2011 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  20. tony

$262,000 worth of "family" values. Now now many repentant afro-american young girls could they have had giving talks for that much cash? Might have gotten about 10 off tax paid welfare at least

April 6, 2011 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  21. ugly america

And Sarah Palin has the audacity to say SNLs Tina Fey exploited her?
    The Palins are nothing but a pack of exploiters! From teen pregnancy to abstinence...I'm sorry...just call a cow a cow and a hypocrite a hypocrite!!!

I wish the Palin would go away...not sure what disgusts me more them...or our society making them!!!!

April 6, 2011 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  22. Jason

It should also be noted that this "charity" gave away a whopping $35,000 in the same year that they paid Palin Deux 260,000+.

April 6, 2011 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  23. AC

I will not be donating to the Candies foundation, why, because now they have become a politcal organization and they are rewarding Bristol for having a child when underage. Bristol should have voluntered to be a spokeperson, but no, this Candies foundation rewarded her for having a Trip? Does not make sense!

April 6, 2011 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  24. Florida Joe

Ah yes Sarah taught her well.............People are dumb so take their money........Like Mother Like Daughter
    Disgusting

April 6, 2011 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  25. ThinkAgain

Is she giving the money to charity? Oh, I forgot; she's a Palin and helping others is beyond her understanding.

April 6, 2011 10:51 am at 10:51 am |