Obama: Progress made at night meeting, but no budget deal yet
April 6th, 2011

Obama: Progress made at night meeting, but no budget deal yet

Washington (CNN) - A late evening meeting between President Barack Obama and the leaders of the House and Senate failed reach agreement Wednesday on a spending plan to avert a government shutdown, but all the participants said progress was made and talks would continue.

If there is no deal by midnight Friday, when the current spending authorization measure expires, parts of the government will close down.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Budget • Congress • Government Shutdown • President Obama
  1. John Vitron

Maybe it is time for the people to speak through their actions. If politicians are determined to shut down the government because they can't agree on a compromise, then why shouldn't the people shut down the country and just refuse to go to work until the government is again up and running. No garbage collection, no planes flying, no teachers in the classrooms. If the government can do it, the people can also.

April 6, 2011 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  2. Lorne Wedell

Dear Mr. President, I hear you would like to freeze pay rates for military starting next year. Would you also consider cutting your own pay to save more money for our country? While you're at it, lets cut down all congressman's pay. If the people who risk their lives don't get an increase in pay, why should we continue raising pay for those who take no risks and reap the benefits? RE-POST if you support our troop

April 7, 2011 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  3. Dave

What do we pay these people for? Neither side does anything productive, it's ridiculous any of them get a pay check. At my job if I don't do what's expected of me they don't shut the whole place down. They kick me out and find someone who will. Should apply to all the idiots in congress, dem and repub.

April 7, 2011 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  4. POTUS

Keep trying to work with these bone heads Mr. President, help is on the way!! 2012

April 7, 2011 03:11 am at 3:11 am |
  5. Name king

Come on people get it together! This is my 2012 budget, 1 cent income tax increse, I make 2 grand a month thats 4 packs of sigarets, I needed to stop smoking anyway. Thus will be 2 hundred twenty bucks a year and 2400 over 10 year out of my pay check, something that would be invisible to me, comparing to the repugs cutting millions of jobs. He'll as a stock boy on the lowest level, we have 100 people working in that building, so we are looking at nearly 200 million dollars for the 10 years coming from that building alone. I would put a 2 cent tax increase on the upper 2 percent for the next 10 years, and a 2 cent increase on estate taxes, I will take a 1 cent tax from folks, out of their social security checks. That will be about 15 dollars a month they wont miss,
    I will require all federal, states, and city government workers, to pay an extra 1 cent for taxes, that means they will be paying 2 cent tax just like the rich folks. I will give small businesses an incentive of 1 cent tax cut if they hire people depending on their profits. I will give 1 cent tax break to corporations that hires and invest in America that create jobs. I would match corporations who put money in a pool and hires the less fortunates, such, as homeless people, and out of work skilled people to beautification and infrastructure of America's cities, states and counties, that goes for every citizens that want to see our country look and get more modernized, to donate into this pool, that means we can use our money and dictate what we want for the future of our country, and not just giving our tax dollars and let buracucy dictates what they want to do.

April 7, 2011 06:31 am at 6:31 am |
  6. john

the American public wants a SHUTDOWN the GOVERNMWNT, it will show how many in the government work force are not needed.

April 7, 2011 07:41 am at 7:41 am |