White House meeting on shutdown scheduled
April 6th, 2011

White House meeting on shutdown scheduled

Washington (CNN) – President Barack Obama has invited House Speaker John Boehner and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to a White House meeting on Wednesday night because "not enough progress has been made" on a budget deal to avoid a government shutdown, White House Press Secretary Jay Carney told reporters.

The meeting is set for 8:45 p.m., Carney said.

Filed under: Budget • Government Shutdown • Harry Reid • John Boehner • President Obama
  1. John

Why didn't Obama/Pelosi/Reid pass the budget last year like they were supposed to? They punted.
    Now they are trying to blame everyone and their sister just so it doesn't look like they were inept.

April 6, 2011 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  2. jean2009

Being from Ohio. I know the only ones Boehner cares about are rich lobbyist.

April 6, 2011 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  3. lisa

Were only looking for a temperary relief, but what we should be looking for is a more permanent fix. i mean look at these political people arguing for themselves, they should be arguing for everyone. pretty soon there will be nothing left and our children will be screwed.

April 6, 2011 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |
  4. ED FL

I know you do not get to be in washington DC very much MR President but I believe we voted you in to be the grown up and make decisions. make one Kick the Boehner and let him go home during the shutdown and cry or drink himself silly. America will continue to keep working until the GOP finally gets a grown up to lead the house until next election when the present speaker again becomes a minority. America will be better off and can wait until that change comes forth. We can get a real leader back in Pelosi who has more guts rhen all the GOP House members.

April 6, 2011 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  5. Lubos

It's just the richer getting richer. Send everyone home for a month without pay.

April 6, 2011 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  6. GOP = Greed Over People

Yes, you GOP cons have already brought America to the edge of the financial abyss once after 8 years of the shrub, so now, keep talking about shutting down the government by not coming up with a budget, and you cons will be responsible for pushing the U.S. into the abyss.

Shut down our government by not coming to grips with the 2011 budget and forget about the 2012, that is a domestic issue and will only harm us, and since "we" voted these morons in again, we deserve the pain we will endure.

But in the name of all that is Holy, STOP talking about NOT raising the debt ceiling, that will have international ramifications as China and other countries that hold our debt instruments will be affected.

Let out "representatives" flush our country down the toilet, but let us NOT take the rest of the world down with us.

But worry not, the GOP has a domestic agenda for "America to fail" and that will be complete if the government shuts down during a recovery from the worst recession since the depression. By all means, do not worry about all the families thrown out of a job and onto unemployment, the states have LOTS of money to burn. The cascading ripple effect of unemployment will make the depression look like the "good ol' days".
    The GOP can then post the "Mission Accomplished" banner over the remains of America!

April 6, 2011 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  7. Cum Suma

If they shut it down – then really shut it down. Everybody! FBI, IRS, CIA, Border Patrol, FAA etc etc. Oh, also include the Treasury Dept. (no checks for anyone.) See how the voters like that.

If I were a govt employee – I'd not put up with this unappreciative krap. I'd be looking for work elsewhere. If 'furloughed', I'd sign up for unemployment, food stamps, medical, welfare...whatever is available, until I found suitable employment.

Congress has proven themselves to be worthless...I mean...non-essential. The country would be best served if THEY were furloughed!

April 6, 2011 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  8. GOP = Greed Over People

Careful, Mr. President or you will make that weak-kneed, girly, man Bawlin' Boehner tear up, because he cannot have his way!

I am starting to think the Orange Oracle is unbalanced. Perhaps inhaling all that tan spray was detrimental and has caused brain damage.

April 6, 2011 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  9. NameBruce morin

Where. Was obama, Reid and the democrats last year when this should have been done

April 6, 2011 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  10. GOP = Greed Over People

So let me think this through, the government shuts down.

Now, how would I view this shut down if I were a group of terrorists, say as in Iraq?

Probably as a very good opportunity to strike

That would accomplish the GOP agenda for "America to fail"!!

April 6, 2011 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  11. adrean

This is terrible and I pray that some solution is made...My husband is fighting for this country in Afghanistan while I am a teachers associate in a private preschool and trying to raise our 3 children. The fact that he could still be killed while not getting paid is one thing but the thing that makes my blood boil....that my husband could very likely miss his R&R which starts next week due to this giant game of "chicken" His children haven't seen him since August and if we miss out on our time together, there will be some very unhappy folks!

April 6, 2011 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |