Obama calls Boehner
April 6th, 2011

Obama calls Boehner

Washington (CNN) President Obama called House Speaker John Boehner Wednesday morning to discuss the ongoing budget showdown and the looming government shutdown.

Here's what happened, according to a statement from Boehner's office:

Speaker Boehner spoke this morning with President Obama regarding ongoing negotiations on legislation to fund the government. The Speaker reiterated that the House's goal is to prevent a government shutdown and make real cuts in spending, which the Speaker has argued is necessary to support private-sector job creation and boost confidence in the nation's economy. He told the President he remains hopeful a deal can be reached and that talks would continue. The Speaker thanked the President for calling.

The discussion lasted approximately three minutes.

1. Don Howard

They talked for 3 WHOLE MINUTES? Wow! Did The Speaker cry through any of that call?

April 6, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  2. Jake

notice the President is the guy ALWAYS reaching across the aisle. While Boehner does NOTHING but sulk and pout and pretend he has America's best interest at heart!

April 6, 2011 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  3. Proud member of "Global Zero"

Enough all ready. We know the number is the same as the speaker originally wanted. Why can't we cut most from Defense and then close tax loop holes. Oh yea, voters stayed home last election and this is what we are stuck with. I don't want to hear complaining from anyone. If you didn't vote you do not have a say. I blame the voters!!!!!!!!

April 6, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  4. Lolo

It is unbelievable how these so called republicans for the american people think. Please shut down the government now. Let them squirm when their little subsidies that the government provides does not come on time. I can't wait to hear the squawking from the tea partiers, libertarians and republicans. They have cut off their own noses to spite their faces. Most of the the people that work in the government are republicans. This is better than Tina Fey emulating stupid Sarah Palin.

April 6, 2011 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  5. Seattle Sue

I wonder what Obama called Boehner? Maybe a drunken cry baby.

April 6, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  6. jean2009

If Boehner was really serious, he would cut the crap and come up with a plan that doesn't punish poor people.

April 6, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  7. Name Creole

Stand you ground Mr. Obama we will Vote the Party of No OUT!!!!! They want to take apart America......

April 6, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  8. AlGaN

They talked for 3 WHOLE MINUTES then Obama's teleprompter stopped working.

April 6, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  9. Rudy NYC

Interesting order of events. Obama calls Boehner. Not Boehner calls Obama. Well, the House Speaker is on record clearly stating in no uncertain times that 'compromise' is not even in his vocabulary, much less in his modus operandi. With that said, here's how the 3 minute phone call went.

"Good Morning" "Good Morning" Pleasantries consumes the 1st half minute.
    "Where did we leave off?" Getting back up to speed takes up a full minute.
    "Yield." "No." Back and forth for the next full minute. Can't say who said what.

The conversation concluded as follows.
    "Okay, I will quit smoking if you quit, too." "We've both already lit up today"
    "Tomorrow, then." "Tomorrow, then."
    "What about the budget?" "What about it?"
    Suddenly the lines go dead. Dropped cell phone calls.

So now you know. You can blame a government shutdown on your favorite cell phone company.

April 6, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  10. Pam

So, what did Obama call him?
    A crying baby? A whiner?
    A "nothing is going to get accomplished today....not on my watch" kind of guy?

April 6, 2011 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  11. jfb

reaching across the aisle!! you can't be serious. he is the most partisan president in history

April 6, 2011 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  12. gt

this is nuts ...nancy and her troop didnt passed this last yr ... now its the rebs fault..?... unbelieveable....

April 6, 2011 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  13. dawgdays

Looks to me like the dems are playing games and hoping for a shutdown like under clinton where they successfully blamed the repubs. Sad, the only problem is that the dems are the ones not willing to compromise here. They have run budgets way up with deficit spending since taking office and are unwilling to give it back. Even with the cuts proposed by the repubs the budget is still way over 2008 levels. You people need to wake up before we are all completely broke.

April 6, 2011 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  14. No tea, coffee only

The same ol' tired lie that spending cuts are "necessary" for job creation. Just like tax breaks for the rich individuals would foster job creation...GOP keeps on lying to America. Nov 2012 GOP extinction coming soon.

April 6, 2011 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  15. ITALIAN NONNO

we pay taxes, no shut the government ,.. government should never shut down,.. if they shut down, i want refund of my taxes. I read somewhere, Mchele Bachmann she thinks she's qualified to sit in Oval office,.. that old chicken is qualified to sit on chicken ova,.. incubating and keeping the eggs warm in the nest.

April 6, 2011 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  16. guy from NM

Any deal will as usual be made on the back of the American people. Cut the Pentagon now, if you want money.

April 6, 2011 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  17. Nebraska

Kinda sounds like Nancy Pelosi doesn't it!

April 6, 2011 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  18. goplies

3 minutes talking to Bone head is about 3 minutes longer than I would want to that's for sure.

April 6, 2011 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  19. upsetintx

Jake do you remember the President reaching across the aisle during the health care debate? Please please Jake tell me when did he do that cause I don't remember.

April 6, 2011 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  20. Sniffit

"I just love the tactics of the left . These peaceful respectfull loving protestors that did millions in damage that my taxes will have pay for (along with their saleries ) '

This should really be pointed out because CNN failed to do its job on this one: the $7.5M "estimate" of damage done to the WI cpitol building was, quite literally, written out on 3-4 lines of notebook paper by someone unqualified to perform such an estimate. It was LITERALLY something akin to writing down "repair damage from scotch tape and masking tape – $5M." They even submitted the silly notebook page in court as "proof" of the cost of the damages...and I believe the official who wrote it even backed away from it eventually, admitting it was really just nonsense. There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that millions of dollars in damage was done to the WI capitol building. Moreover, the painters unions, aside from laughing at the estimate and calling it silly (and they should know, since the claims were all about damage to the walls), offered to take care of any damage that actually existed for FREE.

April 6, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  21. Rudy NYC

"Good morning John, I'm fresh out of cigarrettes. Can you send some over to me?"
    "It's gonna cost you. You know the price. One billion apiece."
    "Okay, I'll take 6." "You wanted 12? No problem. Bye." "Wait! Wait! Wait a second!"

April 6, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  22. Rsprings

Jake, the President is alay reaching across the aisle...wel where was he when the Dems were in power. He was arrogant and failed to show any bipartisanship. Get you head our of the kool-aid jug or you'll drown.

April 6, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  23. Army Sergeant First Class

What a way to end my long day here in Afghanistan. Having to go to bed wondering if I will get paid next week, and how or if I'll be able to support my family back in the states. I took and oath to support and defend, and I'm doing my part. Don't elected officials take an oath as well? Just as I'm doing my mine why can't they ALL come together to do theirs? I'm just saying!

April 6, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  24. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

@Jake:

Yep. I noticed.

April 6, 2011 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  25. Ken

Tea-Publicans want to cut 100 billion dollars from 14%of the budget. Smart, really SMART. Republicans screamed last year because Obama cut 500 billion in fraud and abuse from Medicare, like they were so concerned about us and now this year that little boy in Congress named, Ryan, wants to eliminate it completely. With people like him looking out for us old folkes the real crooks that run schemes on us don't stand chance coz we not gonna have nothing left for them to steal.

April 6, 2011 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |