Pawlenty aide in Iowa suspended after arrest
April 6th, 2011

Pawlenty aide in Iowa suspended after arrest

Washington (CNN) – A staffer for former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty's presidential exploratory committee in Iowa was suspended Wednesday after being arrested on charges of public intoxication and trespassing.

Des Moines television station and CNN affiliate KCCI reported that Benjamin Foster was arrested around 3 a.m. on Wednesday, when an Ankeny family awoke to find him trying to get into the back door of their home and called the police.

Foster was hired by Pawlenty's political action committee in late 2010, making him the first full-time staffer for any potential campaign on the ground in Iowa. The state will hold the first contest of the 2012 Republican nomination fight early next year.

"Governor Pawlenty is extremely disappointed in Ben's actions and his behavior does not meet the standards he expects of his employees," said Eric Woolson, an adviser to Pawlenty's exploratory committee. "Therefore, the committee is placing Ben on a two-week unpaid suspension and expects him to bear the legal consequences for his action."

In a statement issued through a Pawlenty spokesman, Foster acknowledged making "a very serious mistake."

"I take full responsibility for my actions," Foster said in the statement. "I want to apologize to all affected by my poor judgment. I especially apologize to the people who were disturbed during the incident and the arresting officers. I give my word that it will never happen again."

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Tim Pawlenty
  1. thomas

Ahh , looks like Tim Pawlenty is a great leader from his personel !

I give my word that it will never happen again.

April 6, 2011 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  2. rusty155

Yes I do believe to be around the Republican and the tea Party It would cause someone to Drink. Because No Republican or Tea Party know what they are doing any way. The only thing they know want to do Is Help the RICH and BIG BUSINESS AND LIE to the rest of the AMERICAN PEOPLE.

April 6, 2011 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  3. Betty

Ah those Republican family values ...

April 6, 2011 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  4. Ken

It's OK that he got drunk and got lost. He's a Tea-Publican and as such you should do as he says do and not as he does and you will be OK. That's the way it is for the Family Values GOP.

April 6, 2011 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  5. Marie MD

Once again, you can't write these stories. All those christian and family values come to the top of the scum barrel sooner or later.
    How is the paw man going to spin this one? Yeah, yeah, poor judgment and you are sorry because you were caught!

April 6, 2011 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  6. T'sah from Virginia

Don't blame it on Pawlenty
    Don't blame it on his committee
    Don't blame it on the DEAD
    Don't even blame BEN
    Blame it on the Alc, alc, alc, alc, alcohol
    Blame it on the Alc, alc, alc, alc, alcohol!!!! LMAO

Stop spending PAC money on entertainment as you travel around the country/world spending PAC money!!!

April 6, 2011 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |