Ron Paul a month away from presidential decision
April 6th, 2011

Ron Paul a month away from presidential decision

(CNN) - Ron Paul, the Texas congressman and libertarian with an army of followers, says he will decide on a third presidential bid "in a month or so."

But appearing on the Alex Jones Show, a syndicated radio program, Paul appeared to suggest Tuesday he is ready to take the plunge again

"We are getting awfully close, and there is just a few other things that I have to iron out personally to make my final decision. But it has to come," said Paul.

Paul's fundraising prowess in 2008 shocked the political establishment, though his legions of supporters failed to translate into strong Republican primary showings. Still, it's likely another Paul candidacy could shakeup the expected 2012 GOP presidential field, especially if the anti-government spending congressman resonates with a majority of Tea Party movement followers.

Meanwhile, Paul did not rule out a third-party presidential bid either.

"I guess in life, you should keep all options open. But right now, I'm still a Republican congressman and we did it last time as a Republican," he said.

Filed under: 2012 • Ron Paul
  1. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Run, Ron, Run! Especially as a third party with your son as VEEP! You live in two different states, so there is no law against the Electoral College voting for you!

April 6, 2011 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  2. MiddleOfTheRoad

"Ron Paul, the Texas congressman and libertarian with an army of followers"

Can it get any better? That's the group I want to lead our country.

April 6, 2011 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  3. T'sah from Virginia

["We are getting awfully close..."]
    to whether or not I'll give you another dose
    Of me running for President amidst
    all the other MANIACS from the RIGHT – get my DRIFT!!! LMAO

BRING IT ON!!!

April 6, 2011 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  4. SayWhat

I think that he should decide to be create and star in a new series of Star Trek where he gets to be the creepy looking leader of a planet where the only words that people say are "mine" and "keep your hands off my stack, jack."

April 6, 2011 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  5. Rudy NYC

Mr. Paul, I wrote on these pages in 2008 that you were the best candidate the GOP had at that time. Time and events have demonstrated that you hard right views were the best, as demonstrated by the rise and influence of the Tea Party. Your window of best opportunity has passed you by through no fault of your own.

The policitically correct thinking of your party had been out of touch with the will of the people and the reality of the times. The mistake was seen and corrected in the formation of the Tea Party, which realized GOP gains in 2010. But, times are changing faster than the you or the GOP realize. The time of the Tea Party has passed, and so have your hopes of being POTUS.

April 6, 2011 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  6. Jim

Please go away, Mr. Paul. You and your son have disgraced american government long enough.

April 6, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  7. Lynda/Minnesota

Probably is a good time for the TeaPers to spit from the GOPers, Ron Paul. Nothing is being accomplished with this back and forth bickering within the Republican Party as it is. If nothing else, it'll help get the *new* Independents who are too embarrassed to continuing calling themselves Republicans back into the Republican fold. It's not as if they aren't voting Republican anyway. Easier for Corporate Pollsters to poll their own constituents and followers when they are neatly lumped together and categorized accordingly.

April 6, 2011 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  8. I can see mexico from my house

He is the ONLY republican I could ever vote for.

April 6, 2011 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  9. Mark

He has some good ideas and he has some waacky ideas. If he could temper his waccky ones and run with someone reasonable [including a Democrat] , he might add something positive to the national discussion

He can not win unless he is a 3rd party candidate though.

April 6, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  10. Marie MD

An army of followers? That has got to be the best joke of the day!!! Thanks cnn, I needed the laugh.
    Yes, go in third party to split the rethugs even more!!! You can't make this stuff up!!

April 6, 2011 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  11. Ramrod

I just hope and hope he decides to not run as a republican. Rather it would be better if he ran as an independent or on the libertarian ticket. Mr. Paul needs to realize birds of a feather flock together and he isn't like the rest of the special needs class graduates of the GOP.

April 6, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  12. Mike

Ron Paul has to run. His ideas are finally becoming mainstream and the country is in dire need of his leadership.

April 6, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  13. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Given that he doesn't fully understand the changes that have occured over time and what they were for, I don't think that he should be president. He also doesn't seem to understand the role Congress really has despite being a member of it. The constitution was meant to be something that allowed the government to do what the citizens want or need it to do.

April 6, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |