Facebook event: Let's dump trash at Boehner's pad
April 7th, 2011

Facebook event: Let's dump trash at Boehner's pad

Washington (CNN) - If the federal government shuts down come Friday, House Speaker John Boehner may be in for quite a mess at his Washington, D.C. residence if some Facebook users have their way.

A Facebook event, entitled "If Boehner shuts down the government I am taking my trash to his house," has popped up and is gaining steam as the shutdown showdown ramps up on Capitol Hill. If the federal government shuts down, one of the District's services that will stop is trash pickup.

"Speaker John Boehner is ready to shut down the government, including District of Columbia city services like trash collection," it says on the page. "Well, if he won't allow us to use OUR TAX DOLLARS to pick it up, maybe we should just BRING IT TO HIM."

As of 2:30 p.m. EST there are 1,476 attending; 126 are listed as maybe; 156 aren't showing up; and 4,652 are still making up their minds (much like Congress, apparently).

The trash-a-thon is scheduled for Saturday and apparently will last through June 30.

Organizers of the event - Jonah Goodman and Nolan Treadway - write on the page that even if the government shutdown doesn't occur, they will "move forward with this event, we'll provide details on location(s) and we'll make sure it's done in a sanitary and respectful way. Please don't list any personal addresses for members of Congress on this page."

Goodman is listed in the Democratic National Committee network. Treadway is the political and logistics director for the liberal group Netroots Nation.

House Speaker Boehner's spokesman Michael Steel did not comment to CNN on the group. But he said that "The Speaker has made clear that he wants to cut spending and keep the government open. The House will pass yet another bill to that this afternoon. If the government does shut down, these folks should focus their ire on the Democrats who are actively rooting for a government shutdown, hoping for partisan gain."

Reaction on the page is, like Washington, all over the place.

Amy Lysander: "Do you plan on trashing the yards of the Democrats who are actually causing a shutdown? The House passed a bill to keep the government open. Two of them, actually. The Senate hasn't. Where's Harry Reid's house?"

Diane C. Russell: "Dems controlled Congress completely for 11 months after Obama submitted FY 2011 budget, but FAILED to do their duty and REFUSED to pass any appropriations, either before or after the beginning of the fiscal year."

Brian Devine: "I'll bring some styrofoam from the Hill caf."

Darrin Morgan: "Darn! I just cleaned out my garage. Oh, well. I have some rotten fruit I can throw at the Weeper of the House."

Filed under: Budget • John Boehner
  1. Randy

The repubs just passed another stop gap. Why are they blaming Boehner. The Dems are holding everything up. Move the drop to Reid's house and 1600 Pennsylvania.

April 7, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  2. Ptown

the shutdown is the repubs fault. They need to stop listening to the tea baggers and work with the democrats...

April 7, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  3. Charleston

How Liberal of them! You know the Liberals: just, fair, kind, want "everyone" to have a voice. Whatever!

April 7, 2011 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  4. I can see mexico from my house

Good Idea!!!!!!!!!

April 7, 2011 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  5. Rick CT

This shows the intelligence of the Dems. And Obama wants people to act like adults. Maybe he ought to call out his supporters on this one. Obama has said he'll veto a bill that would keep the gov't running. But at least they'll dump the trash in a respectful and sanitary way. What a pile of crap – yet all the Dems will believe that.

April 7, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. al in memphis

From the sidelines, it just looks like a bunch of extremist at all angles of this mess. Extremist politicans, extremist spokepersons, extremist supporters - no wonder nothing gets done.
    Just a bunch of over hype-can't get a grip on reality type of energy out there. This mess was created over several decades and you want cure it all at once ( unless you cut military build up by 70%)

April 7, 2011 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  7. terry,va

This is the thuggery we have come to in this country. The fool that this piece of crap belongs to is Obummie. But good luck dumping garbage on the PEOPLE"S house.

April 7, 2011 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  8. Jeff from Va

Yeah, Blame Boehner, he was in charge last fall when they could not pass a budget, wait, Sweet Nancy was in charge then, well then the Republicans must of had control of the Senate, no, Sir Harry was in charge there, ok, it had to be because of a Republican President, dog gone it, I am wrong again, just where does thie blame lay. I know it was the "Tea Party".

April 7, 2011 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  9. Looking at one side of the aisle is not productive

No vitriol coming from the Left whatsoever.

April 7, 2011 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  10. California Conservative

The childish democrats. HEY BONEHEAD, the republicans have passed a budget your anger is misdirected. Typical of a liberal.

April 7, 2011 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  11. Rudy NYC

No, don't do that.

This political brinksmanship will end on Election Day 2011 and 2012

April 7, 2011 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  12. Aaron

The Repubs held up passing the budget last year. They said it was business for the new Congress after they got control of the House. Very convenient memories these Repubs have. Now, they expect Dems to pass a budget that benefits the rich and corporations and leaves the less fortunate to fend for themselves. Repubs are self-interested trash and should receive trash as a result.

April 7, 2011 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  13. Marie MD

BTW – my hustand works as a contractor for the government so I have every right to tell the rethugs to go to hell!!!

April 7, 2011 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. ThinkAgain

The Republicans have been dumping on the American people for the last two years, what with their obstructionism and insistence on putting Party Before Country.

Seems only fair we dump on THEM for a change.

April 7, 2011 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  15. C. Howe Yulikit

Now matter how the Republicans try to spin it, they will be blamed for the shutdown, as well they should. Can I Fedex my garbage to someone in DC to dump on Boehner's lawn?

April 7, 2011 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  16. Claudia, Houston, Tx

FACT: Republicans voted NO to everything the Democrat Congress and President Obama put before them and they would have voted NO to any Democrat budget. Now that Boehner/GOP are in control they are afraid of the tea baggers and trying to pass the blame on to President Obama, Pelosi, Reid and all the Democrats. And don't forget, it was Bush that left Obama with 2 wars and a economic mess and these same Republicans blamed it on Obama. Well, passing the buck won't work this time.

April 7, 2011 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  17. James

Ok that is actually one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Pity I moved out of DC.

April 7, 2011 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  18. Greg

Why don't we trash Obama's house instead? He said he will veto the recently passed budget!..

April 7, 2011 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  19. T Diddy

What a bunch of wussies!!!!! Libs don't scare anyone, they are afraid to fight.

April 7, 2011 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  20. Boopme from Graham

I wish I lived nearby. Can I mail my trash to Boneman? Why would I (a woman) want to trash the democrats? Surely you don't think I am a Rethug. We have been borrowing money since 2000 when GWB entered the White House with the surplus left by the previous administration (a Democrat). For 8 long years he wasted that money and still gave the wealthy tax cuts and started 2 wars. All the while borrowing money secretly to cover the cost of the wars he started but failed to put on the books. Where were all of you fiscal conservatives for 8 years???Where??? I know where….up in GW’s….BUSINESS. Now we have a new President that happens to be a Black man and so say you he is spending us into doomsday. Give me a break. Thank God for his intelligent ideas that saved us from the brink of financial ruin and we are slowly coming back with our heads above water. I'm sorry, I don't want your Rethug government that tells me, a woman, what I can do with my body. I cannot believe ANY WOMAN would let the Republicans de-fund Planned Parenthood. If you don’t use it, then you have healthcare and don’t have too. Look around you sista’, not everyone can afford to go to the doctor. The Planned Parenthood offices are there for people who need help, you know the ones Jesus talked about, the ones in need……you hypocritical Christian you…..whew

April 7, 2011 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  21. Ryan

I'd let my dog poop in his front yard.

April 7, 2011 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  22. GOP = Greed Over People

Has everyone in this country gone completely, stark staring mad?

While Bawlin' Boehner is by no means my idol, or even someone that I would give the time of day to if passing on the street, but he does not deserve this treatment either.

It is time for all you to just grow up or see a therapist!

April 7, 2011 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  23. Kevin in Atlanta

Both parties are to blame here. I'm all for trashing Boehner's lawn as long as we add in Reid, Cantor, McConnell, etc...they all stink. This event, surprisingly, might help actually make the neighborhood seem a little cleaner...

April 7, 2011 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  24. Marlene

You all don't have the correct info. Boehner's house is not the house to dump the trash at... the correct one is that big white one at 1700 Pennsylvania Ave and also Harry Reid's residence... remember the dems were in control of congress for a long time and did nothing to prevent this mess from happening!!!

April 7, 2011 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  25. Anonymous

Stupid. Does the federal government pick up your trash? The sad thing is, no one will really notice that the government is shut down, other than those federal workers impacted. If the government was shut down for months, maybe we would notice, but a few weeks, no big deal. You will still get mail, still get checks, etc. Unless you are visiting a national park, big deal.

April 7, 2011 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |