Furlough notices arrive on Capitol Hill
Protesters demonstrate in front of the Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, on April 6, 2011 urging government spending cuts.
April 7th, 2011

Furlough notices arrive on Capitol Hill

(CNN) - CNN has learned that the first furlough notices are being sent out to congressional staffers, explaining to them whether they are considered essential or non-essential — and if they would be expected to come to work in case there is a government shutdown.

See the full announcement here.

Filed under: Capitol Hill • Congress • Government Shutdown
  1. falcon63

I wonder how those protesters that were bused their by the Koch brothers would feel if the jobs and or benefits being cut where theirs. Wait a minute it is they are just do stupid to realize. How funny. How scary.

April 7, 2011 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  2. Name c davis

that is awful can't make a decision and you had 1 year and expect to make in several days. That is so sorry congress. Shame on you.

April 7, 2011 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  3. Mereze Lawson

look at all these tea bag retards. u know what i support Paul ryans plan lets give these old tea bagging idiots vouchers to go purchase their healthcare and if they go over there limit well too bad go home and die!!!. the biggest drivers of our debt and deficit and medicaid, medicare and the bush tax-cuts and they want cut things that benefit working middle class families because they are on their govt guranteed entitlements! these people make me sick

April 7, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  4. al in memphis

Worlds largest economy, biggest military, leaders in space technolgy, champion of democracy - we can't agree on a budget. It's not a secret how to fix the debt issue and run the government at the same time. The problems is that you can't run away from yesterdays spending by continuing to fool people about lower taxes and corporation that pay no taxes.
    It not anti-business to expect them to carry their fair share. Too often cities have to give a company 10-15 years of tax breaks and build them an infrastructure to get them to consider relocation. That turns out to be billions of dollars that someone else has to pick up the tab for.
    The talking heads keep complaining this is needed for business when in reality they know it helps the next quarterly profit review.

April 7, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  5. jack leith

Instead of giving government employee's a furlough, tell congress and the senate to take 2-4 weeks without pay. They are the reason for no budget. Instead of fighting for their own political agenda's, they should be fighting for the best interest of the people. No one is right on this issue, they are all to blame.

April 7, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  6. PalmReader

Ought to make the *I Have Mine, Screw You* crowd jump for joy. After all, making others suffer is EXACTLY what they've been screaming for these past 3 years now - all courtesy of an inept GOP House Leader too afraid of his own shadow to do much more than babble his way through the mess he is allowing them to create.

April 7, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  7. Melissa Soto

Actually those in office are not acting like children fighting over a toy. It's more like 2 year olds throwing a fit in a store after being told they can't have what they want. I can't imagine that this is what the Founding Fathers had in mind for America when they sat down and drafted our Constitution. They are probably rolling over in thier graves because of the situation now in our government and country.

April 7, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  8. Sumra Bartlett

Dear Congress and Senate, How about yall give up some of your money to support the people who are on welfare, not the people who serve this country... there are people who depend on those paychecks.

April 7, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  9. AGeek

If you're a member of congress, it should read: "Your services are no longer required. You are being terminated for failure to fulfill the position for which you were hired."

April 7, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  10. Allen N Wollscheidt

How are the expenses of the shutdown being financed ? ? ?

April 7, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  11. swschrad

want to clear the air quickly on this budget showdown? furlough ALL the staffers in ALL the congressinal offices. leave the 535 babies to do it themselves. also, shut off the air conditioning, it's not essential to life and limb. let them swelter in the swamp that is DC until they do their business and go home.

April 7, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  12. J.B.

The President and his fellow Democrats are running our country into the ground. We need him to stand up and make a serious effort on cutting the deficit. Democrats are proposing cutting a few billion dollars from the deficit which is not much when considering how much we are in debt. In comparison, a few billion dollars out of trillions is like a handful of pennies out of $100 dollars. Does not put a dent in the deficit. If he cannot lead then he needs to get the hell out of the way and let someone else take over the reins!

April 7, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  13. Donnamay

Since they can't sit down and do their job, I hope our legislators are considered "non-essential". If their pay was threatended, you'd better believe they'd sit down and work this out!

April 7, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  14. Barry Oblame-a

Wouldn't everyone be considered non essential at this point since essentially no one is doing anything to stop this shutdown?

April 7, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  15. Nancy

Well... how about this. If they are non-essential workers, lay them off permanently (like everywhere else in this county) and that will save money right away....I'm just sayin'

April 7, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  16. Gomer

In other words they are getting a taste of what they have been doing to the rest of us.

April 7, 2011 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  17. SGT Mazz1

Apparently I'm considered essential, but my bills are not essential. I still have to show for work, but NOT get paid on time, while being called LAZY by the GOP because my bills won't get paid. No income from work performed, equals no money to pay bills, equals me being lazy. Screw you GOP.

April 7, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  18. Bman

I wish the government would tell me if I am essential employee and whether or not I have to come to work on Monday. I work for the government and no person in the agency seems to know what is going on or what to do or who is essential and who is not. They do not plan on letting us know until tomorrow before we leave, or we have to come in Monday to be sent home....how dumb is that. If you are not going to pay me at least save me the gas!

April 7, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  19. Name Michael Pasela

I say shut tbe Governme@,nt Down and I am a Democrat. Does our Government not have the sense God gave a duck. We are in a financial crisis and they want to spend what we don't have. Here is a no brainer – We don't have extra money, cut back, like most Americans have. I have a tight budget and I spend within my limits.

April 7, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  20. timmy

My job laid me off because of the economic recession. Why should they be any different? I got no news story about my job lost.

April 7, 2011 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  21. Loopman

Since the senate and house members are the one's engaged in the most recent "my wanker is bigger than yours" contest, I honestly feel like they should be the very first government employees to get their furlough notices. Same thing would work for fixing Social Security. If you wanted to get that program fixed, just force the political fatcats to use it instead of their high priced entitilement programs that we, the taxpayers, pay for and you would see SS get fixed so fast the world would almost come to a screeching halt. If I wasn't so personally engrained in the capitalist society, I would promote and endorse anarchy to get those overpaid and underworked politicos thrown off of Capital Hill and install a more efficient form of government that wouldn't be as vulnerable to this current type of childish game playing that puts people's livelihoods at risk.

April 7, 2011 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  22. Kevin Cantu

how about furlough notices for members of congress especially the congressional leaders from both parties.

April 7, 2011 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  23. connie

I think if they are going to shut government down; they should go ahead and do it. Stop dragging it out.

April 7, 2011 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  24. David

This reminds me of a third world country where all the politicians do is bicker and whine. It's a shame!

April 7, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  25. Dawn

I would like to know how many Congressional staffers were determined to be nonessential.

April 7, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |