Reid: Odds of government shutdown are 50-50
April 7th, 2011
08:22 PM ET
3 years ago

Reid: Odds of government shutdown are 50-50

Washington (CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid tells CNN the odds are a government shutdown are "no better than 50-50" as he prepared for another White House powwow Thursday night.

In an interview with CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash he said that every time the leadership meets at the White House they get close to a deal, but when members leave "we get farther apart."

Calling the ongoing budget negotiations "a debate between Republicans and Republicans," he denied a rift between both parties on trying to reach a deal.

"We should be able to get this done but we can't continually negotiate with ourselves," he said. "I haven't' heard anything from my caucus other than we should get this done."

The Democratic leader admitted that spending cuts will be large stating, "We have cut so hard, so deeply, that it's difficult to keep my arms around all my people."


Filed under: Budget • Government Shutdown • Harry Reid
soundoff (17 Responses)
  1. Gorbashov - Long Beach, Ca.

    Then stop cutting things that will negatively effect the economy and people!

    Where are the Defense cuts? That is the single largest part of discretionary spending and it's off the table?????

    WTF?

    April 7, 2011 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  2. Four and The Door

    Calling the ongoing budget negotiations "a debate between Republicans and Republicans,"...
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    It looks like Reid and Obama are intent on shutting down the government. By his own admission here, Democrats are not negotiating. What spending do they feel is necessary to shut the government down for? Remember, American voters sent Republicans to Washington to cut spending. They are doing their job.

    April 7, 2011 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  3. Randall

    Mr Reid, Please allow the senate to vote on the bill in front of you.

    April 7, 2011 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  4. November 2010

    It's clear that the liberals in congress WANT this shutdown (thanks Mr. Shumer) for political gains. If they can't accept 2% in cuts of the current budget (over a trillion dollars), their ideal of getting our federal government on a path to fiscal responsibility is laughable. They are blindly listening to their so called pollsters and you know what, it will come back and haunt them real fast. So let's then roll the dice and let the chips fall where they may.

    April 7, 2011 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  5. LuigiPastram

    Thank you, Nevada, for electing the right candidate. And thank you, Senator Reid, for having the spine to say what's really going on.

    April 7, 2011 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  6. Sniffit

    "If you can't live within a budget you need to stop spending money"

    BS. If you have a certain set of expenses that you're having trouble meeting, YOU DON'T CUT YOUR REVENUE FIRST. This is what the GOP did in 2001 and 2003 and forced upon us in 2010 by cutting the taxes of the rich and corporations without first addressing the alleged spending problem. Shame on every single American out there for not throwing a coniption fit when they set us up for the debt and deficit spending that has us so far in the hole. It was a set-up from the get-go so they could justify the positions they're taking right now, which equate to nothing more, nothing less than: THE MIDDLE-CLASS AND POOR NEED TO SACRIFICE EVEN MORE SO THE RICH AND CORPORATIONS CAN PAY EVEN LESS THAN THEY ARE...through cuts to education, health care, employment benefits, wages, programs that helped create the middle-class in the first place and have stood in the way of its destruction for the past several decades, despite every attempt by the GOP and their puppetmasters to destroy them and get them out of the way of bringing us back to the horrifying labor practices of the 1800's. Wake the frig up, America. Our country is being stolen from us and half of you are on board with it because you think you can trust the thieves.

    April 7, 2011 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  7. Shannon

    Sadly, they need to open their minds to the fact that the "regular citizens" will suffer; not them!

    April 7, 2011 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  8. Name king

    Reid have a choice lock it down tomorrow, or next week if you pass the repug extention, these people will not compromise even if they get all they want, look at how they flock to trump, when he demogog our president, as he keep bitching that we are not respected around the world, do you think! all he wants to do is start a war with china. These people, don't care about the budget, they just use that as a skip goat, just like they use jobs jobs jobs, to get in power, then abandoned it.

    April 7, 2011 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  9. Tracy

    It is amazing that it has. To come to this. I am a goverment employee a big gs 7. Wow I would love these politicians to explain to my landlord, my bill collectors and most imPortant my family why I can not provide . I am a veteran and a civil service employee. What to say thank you to those of us that serve

    April 7, 2011 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  10. gary177

    Senator Reid keeps saying that the democrats have come halfway, that they have a plan that cuts $35-40 billion. Why don't they just pass it? They have the majority in the Senate. They haven't passed any budget for this year,...ever. If they want to be seen as credible, they should put it up for a vote and pass it.

    Unless,... they are not really serious and are more interested in blaming others. or ...unless they can't pass a budget. If the democrats in the Senate don't have the votes to pass even what they are proposing, how serious does it seem that they really are in making the cuts they want to take credit for offering. It doesn't make sense.

    At least in the house they have gone on record and have taken some action.

    April 7, 2011 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  11. T'sah from Virginia

    Reid: Odds of government shutdown are 50-50
    I'm tired of hearing this now!!!

    April 7, 2011 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  12. The reality is...

    ...we want deep cuts so our children and grandchildren and great grandchildren don't have to pay for the government debt you have dragged them into; quite simple you know.

    April 7, 2011 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  13. NameJOHN SARGEANT

    Time to hammer out a deal we can all live with.life does not stop and neither does surviving in this economy. Business can not make it without help.

    April 7, 2011 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  14. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

    If the GOP would stop putting policy riders in there, this would be a little easier... I say that these people should only be dealing with the numbers. There should be only talk about the budget. Put your policy riders in the next budget!

    April 7, 2011 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  15. Larry L

    The GOP is the Tea party. They will hold progress hostage until their hot-button social agenda is satisfied. They plan to destroy our government rather than solve problems. This is the Fox News crowd with anger but no solutions.

    April 7, 2011 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  16. Steve-Illinois

    Gee Harry, maybe you should have gotten the people's work done and passed a budget during the many months you had the complete majority in Congress! Oh, but I forgot, the elections were more important than a budget! At least you can take comfort in the words of President Obama, "Elections have consequences!"
    Now it's time for you to "Suck it up Nancy!"
    The people have spoken! Cut the budget!

    You spend your way INTO bankruptcy, not OUT of it!

    Common Sense!

    April 8, 2011 08:14 am at 8:14 am |
  17. Zach H

    65-35....
    65% chance of agreement 35% chance of shutdown

    April 8, 2011 10:10 am at 10:10 am |