Huckabee to GOP: make a deal
April 8th, 2011

Huckabee to GOP: make a deal

Washington (CNN) – Former Republican Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee advised Republicans in Congress to strike a budget deal, warning a government shutdown will hurt the GOP politically.

"Don't let the government shutdown because the consequences of that are going to hurt the Republicans, not the Democrats and the Republicans can't win this battle when it gets down to it," Huckabee said Friday on the Fox Business Network. "I think it's important that the Republicans don't jeopardize all of their chances for both the White House, Senate and the House elections in 2012 by arguing over what amounts to less than a penny."

The former 2008 presidential candidate said Republicans should abandon their crusades against National Public Radio and Planned Parenthood, and instead focus on fighting for the budget proposal put forth by Republican Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, that he said "will change America for the future."

"As much as I want to see Planned Parenthood defunded, as much as I want to see NPR lose their funding, the reality is- the president and the Senate are never going to go along with that so win the deal you can win and live to fight another day," Huckabee said.

He also said Republicans are "naïve" to think the media won't blame Republicans for a shutdown.

"If the Republicans are naïve enough to think that the media will say 'oh, you know the Republicans were really trying to save America,' they got to be smoking something crazy," Huckabee said. "I'm telling you, the Republicans have won the battle, take victory, take yes for an answer."

Filed under: Budget • Government Shutdown • Mike Huckabee • Republicans
  1. they call me "tater salad"

Proof positive that Republicans are only concerned with winning elections and gaining total control of all 3 branches of our Government (that's Legislative, Executive, and Judicial, for all of you "don't know, don't wanna know" Tea Party douche baggers out there) and not what's best for this country or "we the people"!..........What more do you people need to see till you decide to finally wake up and vote these GOP clowns "down the road" in 2012???

April 8, 2011 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  2. Greg

...and people wonder why someone like me could be so completely and utterly against Republicans on every point at every level – and when I state it out loud, they call me uninformed, prejudiced, brainwashed, leftist, dirty liberal, etc etc.
    I am calling no one names nor am I resorting to fear tactics. But I WILL call out every GOP and their supporters for the folly of their platform/s that is so obvious to me and somehow so invisible to them.

April 8, 2011 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  3. Pat in IL

Finally...the voice of reason! Sneaking social issues into the budget bill is completely inappropriate. Each of the social issues deserve their own debate.

April 8, 2011 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  4. Matt B in Columbus

Yeah, sounds good! Strike a deal for the sake of the GOP, and not the 800K gov't employees who are at risk of losing their paychecks. Good thing Mike has made his priorities clear.

April 8, 2011 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  5. Truth hurts

Finally a little pragmatism and reality in a political theater filled with hot air, posturing and juvenile antics.

April 8, 2011 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  6. notogop

OMG! A repub. that is willing to compromise. What a rare creature. Everyone knows repubs are ALWAYS right and NEVER wrong and ALWAYS have the whole of the citizenship's best interest in mind when making their demands and never represent a minority or special interest. We need to memorialize this man and monent in time so we can say, "Yes, there once was a repub. that had the presence of mind to think rationally and not always profer the narrow-minded dogma promulgated by the repub. machine." This is, indeed, a moment to be remembered for posterity.

April 8, 2011 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  7. Tracy

Boehner has to do this for the tea party.. Don't worry, the Tea Party is going to demand more, and more, and more. Silly republicans, you guys sold out to a bunch of idiots.. What does that make you all.. A whole party of idiots...

April 8, 2011 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  8. Bob Bichen

The guy is smarter than I thought. Pick your battles, boys and girls. Signed: a lifelong Republican.

April 8, 2011 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  9. smtwnguy

There are times he actually sounds like a sensibe person–but of course compared to the other patients in the asylum Palin,Bachman,Newt,Trumpy dumpy most anyone could–lets just say this patient is having a good day today !

April 8, 2011 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  10. anahadwolves

It's not about the budget; it's about Round #334565 of the old "Culture Wars" re-re-re-re-fought for the 334565th time! The lunatic right-wing, Tea Party Tinfoil Hat Brigades have zero interest in bargaining, compromise, a shared sacrifice nor working with others who don't share their nutball outlook. To them it's their way or the highway. Government by fiat, edict or at the point of a gun isn't democratic, it's autocratic.

Huckabee is right: a shutdown will invariably come back to haunt the Republicans more than the Democrats. You see...I am a member of the mass media and in my capacity as newsman, commentator and opinion shaper, I will CERTAINLY make sure that the several million Americans who hear me daily will be reminded CONSTANTLY just who was to blame. Count on it, Republicans!

April 8, 2011 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  11. tony

In the battle of fighting for religious belief or political victory, victory wins. Even for those trying to force their belief on us.

April 8, 2011 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  12. DavidE7

Huckabee is a real statesman. America has few of those. If the Republicans don't demand he run in 2012, they should have their heads examined.

April 8, 2011 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  13. lanette

RetHUGLicans are obsessed with taking away the rights of others. Obsessed with it...

April 8, 2011 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  14. Malcolm

I say, let the Tea Party continue to be idealistic, naive, and idiotic about all things related to government. How bright can they be when they have a caucus leader like Michelle Bachmann of MN.

April 8, 2011 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  15. Mackie

So are you saying, Mr. Huckabee, that politics is more important than the life of a baby? Thanks, now I know your true feelings.

April 8, 2011 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  16. Dave

I finally agree with the Huckster on something.

Dave

April 8, 2011 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  17. Jimboob

I can't believe it! A republican who actually makes since.
    By the way, why do the republicans dislike NPR?

April 8, 2011 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  18. Concerned American

...smartest thing he's ever said.

April 8, 2011 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  19. 4sanity

Huckabee – what a guy ? Sees the compromise coming down the pike and wants to *reluctantly* surf the "reasonableness" wave ahead of it. Just like Michelle Bachman. Sounds like Presidential aspirations to me.

April 8, 2011 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  20. Clwyd

I hope history repeats itself. A shut down shot up Clinton in the ratings and he never fell after that. With the attack on Woman's rights the republicans are risking alienating more than 1/2 of the voters in America. Unions, woman's rights, what next? By the way what ever happened to JOBS?

April 8, 2011 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  21. BlueK

The following statement has no political motivations, but every time I see a quote of his or hear him talk...it is just a crazy train circle to me. I think he's going to make a point. I think I'm going to say, "Yeah...hmm...he's on to something. I may not agree with him totally, but he's got a point." Then, it just degrades into a crazy train circle of garble. Such a shame.

April 8, 2011 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  22. Chad from Tampa

How can anyone blame the Republicans for this mess? Didn't the Dems control the House, Senate and White House last year? Why didn't they get a budget done??? Seems we wouldn't be in this mess if they would have passed a budget for 2010.

April 8, 2011 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  23. rusty155

Mr Huckabee you have to be Joking If you Think that you Republican are going to win the White House, the Senate and keep control of the House. you will be lucky If you keep control of the House. That budget that Paul Ryan Bill su-ks And most American people think so. All It does Is take thing away from the poor and the OLD, And he want to Extension of the Bush tax cut. American people are trier of Republican only thinking of the RICH and BIG BUSINESS. Do you ready think It fair that the Middle Class, and the POOR and the Old and nothing from the RICH or BIG BUSINESS. Don't tell me that the Bush Tax cut will bring Jobs ,Because they been In Place for six year now and we till don't have Job. Do you think Big Business like GE. and not pay a penny In taxes, or OIL COMPANY Drilling on Government land and not paying the Government the money the Oil Company and the Government agree on. You Republican say you past a bill to keep the Troop pay but ready you didn't because the bill had Condition In It. If you want to make sure the troop get pay their wouldn't be any Condition In It. It was all about what the Republican wanted not about the Troop. I will say one thing about you Republican can do good Is LIE

April 8, 2011 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  24. America Shrugged

Putting in policy riders which actually go against the law, and then blaming the Dems for our military not getting paid if there is a shutdown, is despicable. Never in my life have I been more disgusted with the Republican party, as I am right now. Funding for Planned Parenthood and PBS/NPR ( which doesn't directly get money from the Fed Gov ) are such low hanging fruit, and barely affect the budget. And here we thought GOP were such great business people. One thing for sure, they don't give a hoot about the poor or women. Shame on all the GOP women in congress who aren't mad as hell at the GOP attempt to defund Planned Parenthood. They want to shut down the government thinking it will give them a win in 2012. As Forrest Gump would say " Stupid is as stupid does"

April 8, 2011 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  25. Chad from Tampa

Why in the world are taxpayers funding NPR and Planned Parenthood in the first place?? I don't want my money going to killing babies.

April 8, 2011 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |