Rubio to Trump: Lay off birther issue
April 8th, 2011

Rubio to Trump: Lay off birther issue

Washington (CNN) - Sen. Marco Rubio, considered to be a rising star in the GOP, has some advice for Donald Trump:

Quit talking about all this birther stuff.

In an interview with the website Daily Caller, the freshman Florida Republican suggested Trump could be a force in the primaries because of his name recognition, but added the business mogul should stick to more weighty issues.

"I would suggest – if he asked for my opinion – not to focus so much on that issue," Rubio said. "There are more important things facing our country. I believe Barack Obama was born in the United States of America …So why are we talking about this?"

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump • Marco Rubio
  1. Stephen

I don't think Trump actually believes the birther argument. I think he just knows that it will secure the moron vote, and in America, that's a pretty big voting block.

April 8, 2011 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  2. Truth Teller

Good for you Rubio. But I still wouldn't vote for you.

April 8, 2011 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  3. ed bailey

The first totally sensible collection of words I have heard in a long time.let's examine this. Trump should shut up period. He was unfaithful as a husband. Great moral credentials. I say impeach him before the election. How many times has trump filed bankruptcy, I've lost count simply because I DON'T CARE. THE public record is there and it has been several times! That's the guy I don't want in control of this country. Your fired. Watched it maybe twice and there was a BIG RED FLAG there folks. Look again and tell me a MORAL ideal isn't lacking. The hair.Ronald caused a ripple to go through the military when his picture showed up as commander in chief with a basic Beatle haircut. We would get fined or jailed if our hair touched our ears period and here was our chief with a Beatle cut. America the double standard brainwashed masses. And the hair cut IS FUNNY. Now the republican based article wasn't news. It was a public plea to another scoundrel!

April 8, 2011 12:41 pm at 12:41 pm |
  4. mtnmedic

Exactly! Not just because I'm a liberal/Democrat, but because I really couldn't care less even if Obama was born on Mars.

WE HAVE FAR WORSE PROBLEMS TO WORRY ABOUT!!! This whole birther crap is smoke and mirrors tactics by the GOP to keep the public eyes off the REAL issues

April 8, 2011 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  5. Dave

At least Rubio is smart on this issue, the other issues, I'm not so sure about!!!

April 8, 2011 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  6. Steve, New York City

Mr. Rubio's comments make perfect sense. We've got super-serious problems facing the country – so maybe "Mr. Hair Weave" can cut out his stupidity about Mr. Obama's birth certificate (unless, of course, Mr. Trump is truly worried that he hasn't yet cornered the white supremacist vote in the next elections).

April 8, 2011 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  7. JMM09

Great advice Rubio! Donald 'The Rump' looked like a ranting lunatic during an interview, going on and on, ad nauseum, over this birther theory. He sent private investigators to Honolulu to look into this for him, don't you know. These PI's know so much more about this than anyone else, LOL! Scratch one more name off the GOP list of viable contenders. If they don't pull an unknown ringer out of their magic hat, they are in trouble for 2012.

April 8, 2011 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  8. TonyKMN

I'm far more concerned with what Rubio has to say about military intervention in Libya than I am about Trump (who is currently nothing more than a pop culture icon) talking about birth certificates.

April 8, 2011 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  9. sammieb51

My comment to Trump - TAKE IT TO THE COURTS AND LET THEM DECIDE!! He doesn't have the nerve to do that because he KNOWS how many courts in this country have thrown the case out, in one instance the court even fined the woman bringing the charge court costs to the tune of $20K (in CA). Rubio finally said something I can agree with. Anyone concerned that this is all Trump has to get our attention? Pay attention folks, HE IS SHOWING YOU WHO HE IS!!! Believe the actions not the words.

April 8, 2011 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  10. DrScott622

You're not talking about it possibly because you have half-a-brain. The REST of the Republicans are friggin idiots!! You will do anything that FOX and Rush tell you to do. A bunch of Goose-stepping Koolaid drinkers you Republicans!

April 8, 2011 12:47 pm at 12:47 pm |
  11. Vader

C'mon Marco... give the wingnut the benefit of the doubt. After all, being the Constitutional scholar that he is, Trump is on to the greatest scam in history since, as is common knowledge and he stated, you can't be President of the United States of America unless you are BORN in this country.

Oh wait... that's not true/factually correct, is it?

What does 'truth' have do with Repugnican politics? The 'big lie repeated over and over' has been standard fare for years. Sad part is, there is some portion of YOUR constituency that bleets and believes it.

April 8, 2011 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |