Palin gives Trump some verbal support on birther issue
April 10th, 2011

Palin gives Trump some verbal support on birther issue

(CNN) - Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin supported Donald Trump's decision to hire investigators to examine President Barack Obama's birth, but stopped short of embracing the birther wave.

"I appreciate that the Donald wants to spend his resources in getting to the bottom of something that so interests him and many Americans. You know, more power to him," Palin said Saturday on Fox News. "He's not just throwing stones from the sidelines, he's digging in, he's paying for researchers."

Trump's media rampage over the president's birthplace continued Sunday in an appearance on CNN's "State of the Union," where he once again implored the president to produce his birth certificate. Thursday on NBC, the real estate mogul said he sent a team of investigators to Hawaii.

In 2008, the Obama campaign released a copy of the certificate, saying the serial number was blacked out for concern over Hawaiian procedure. Since then, many news organizations and the Annenberg Fact Check Project saw the original with the serial number, an embossed seal and a stamped signature.

But when asked about her views on the issue, Palin said she thinks the president was born in Hawaii.

"Well, you know, I think that he was born in Hawaii because there was a birth announcement put in the newspaper," Palin said. "But obviously if there's something there that the president doesn't want people to see on that birth certificate that he's going to great lengths to make sure it isn't shown. And that's kind of perplexing for a lot of people."

Filed under: Birthers • Donald Trump • Sarah Palin
  1. Juan

Palin is an idiot for supporting Donald "Birther Trump. Pres Obama will wipe the floor with both of them.
    Obama/Biden 2012!

April 10, 2011 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  2. Amazed

The GOP has become the party of the stupid people. There is no other way to explain it.

They're doing everything in their power to fight our Presidents push towards recovery from the Bush debacle.

April 10, 2011 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  3. ted

All we are seeing right now are sideshows with Palin and Trump and Huckabee, Barbour, romny and the rest of the delusional rightwing lunatics. None of them stand a chance in 2012 for the simple reason that they are not contributing to the meaningful conversation of how to get our country out of the mess THAT GEORGE W BUSH put us in with his stupid insane wars, deregulating banks, and giving tax cuts to the whiny milionaires/billionares and corporations. Trump's only quest is Obama's birth certificate. Hey, Trump, I think you need to tell us why you have failed marriages and the truth about your comb over. Actually I don't care about you at all as you are just the latest lunatic on the stage.

April 10, 2011 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  4. cecilia

if this is not the ignorant leading the stupid – Thankfully I am a Democrat – but if I were so misguided as to be a Republican I would be speaking out firmly and loudly against these dingbats who have hijacked the Republican Party – they are becoming a Reality TV Show -

April 10, 2011 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  5. thomas

Sarah Palin / Donald Trump 2012

America , Game Show Nation !
    Wait till Trump discloses his fiancees for the past 20 years, and Palin's goes back to court for favotisam and corruption over Alaska Pipeline !

April 10, 2011 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  6. DENNA

Well that's it then. If Palin supports Trump all bets are off as we know SHE is the leading authority on this "issue". It seems to me that they should both be asking their conservative brethren where the jobs are that they promised in the mid term elections. Oh, that's right, they could not care less about jobs as long as they are pulling in the bucks!

April 10, 2011 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  7. Mike Mc

This isn't surprising at all, Palin has absolutely no credibility regardless of your political affiliation. She is a national disgrace.

April 10, 2011 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  8. Sarah

I'm not saying he wasn't born here, I'm just saying that it's interesting, you know, that maybe he probably wasn't born here.

Okay, really I'm just saying I want to run for president.

April 10, 2011 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  9. Jeff In Ohio

This is what the GOP base wants to hear. The GOP is off the rails, good luck coming back

April 10, 2011 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  10. patty

Why doesn't she produce her birth certificate with all the numbers in tact?Why don't all that are blathering do the same. No other president has been asked to produce their birth certificate why just Obama? I wish this stupid topic would go away and things that are important would get some attention.

April 10, 2011 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  11. hannah

Of course she does. She's a mental midget. I guess they don't have anything else to attack Obama on so they try to say he isn't a citizen.

April 10, 2011 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  12. Lisa Mitchell

The entire world has no logical need to the serial number on this mans birth certificate. It serves NO purpose to the public in general. His birth has been validated by those who need to validate it, and Trump is an ignorant carpethead, with no valid argument with Obama and scraping the bottom of the barrel of a dead horse, is true to his form. His "witch hunt" is not going to create jobs, boost our economy, balance our budget, or feed our hungry. I will credit Palin for the way she handled the question. As much as I despise her, her answer made sense this one time, and she kept her hate and contempt in check.

April 10, 2011 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  13. TimSul

Nah, Sarah, you just appreciate someone else sharing the "Stupid Spotlight" with you.

April 10, 2011 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  14. sandy

I wish the Repubs and the Donald would put this to bed. I was born in Hawaii and the only thing I have that indicates so is a 'CERTIFICATE OF LIVE BIRTH". I don't know what more you people want from this man. Also, nobody has a birth certificate that indicates your relilgion, nobody! This nonesense is sick and the Donald looks like a looser even talking about it. Get on with it.

April 10, 2011 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  15. Debbie from Arizona

This "birther" stuff is beyond stupid. I think all of these "birther" folks need to find something useful to do with their time, they obviously have a lot of it on their hands.

April 10, 2011 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  16. Dale

Arguing with birthers is like trying to nail Jello to the wall. It won't work and it isn't because of the tools you are using aren't good enough.

April 10, 2011 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  17. Julia in Oregon

Trump-Palin 2012 or Palin-Trump 2012 – Looks an awful lot like Mondale/Ferraro, I'm thinking... Either way, I get another four years of a President worthy of our trust and respect.

April 10, 2011 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  18. Thomas

Is anyone truly surprised that this.....person....would lend any credence whatsoever to this pointless and distracting argument? At the very least, she isn't calling for taxpayer money to be wasted in this idiotic birth certificate nonsense.

April 10, 2011 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  19. bj bell

Anything to keep her name in the news - so pathetic..

April 10, 2011 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  20. Snuffy

Much, much easier to take a swing at this controversy than offer up adult, viable solutions to the actual problems the country faces. Hence Mr. Trump's choice of this route, since he has absolutely nothing to offer.

April 10, 2011 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  21. Henry

Oh my, oh my, oh my.

All I can ask the good citizens of our country to do is to look carefully at these Republicans and to see what they sold us to get elected last year. Will we let this happen again? These people are absolutely lunatics. All of them. There is not a single Republican that has any sanity left.

April 10, 2011 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  22. PD.

This is so stupid! Who in the MSM even followed up and actually CONFIRMED he sent investigators to Hawaii? This is nothing but a pathetic dog and pony show with horrible, bad actors.

April 10, 2011 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  23. Thankfully Independent

Palin loves to hang around rich people and that is her sole reason for giving support to Trump.

Bet she'll get some free hotel stays out of this.

April 10, 2011 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  24. Jeremy

When will people read the Constitution and figure out it doesn't matter WHERE Mr. Obama was born? Sen. McCain was born in Panama, and his eligibility for the Presidency wasn't questioned nearly as much as Mr. Obama's. All the Constitution says is that one must be a natural-born citizen. That means you must acquire citizenship by birth, not by naturalization. US law allows for children being born outside the United States to at least one parent who is a US citizen to acquire citizenship by birth. Mr. Obama's mother has been a US citizen since her birth, therefore Mr. Obama is a natural-born citizen. Q.E.D.

April 10, 2011 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  25. RationalFew

Some of these people are really stupid. I do some ancestry work with my wife and I can confirm you can't get a copy of your original birth certificate. It's on file with the government. When you request it you get a new typed up certificate. And some states give "certificates of birth". That's why that peice of paper the Donald thought was his birth certificate turned out to be nothing more than a keepsake.
    Now really, don't you think the republicans would be all over this if there was someting there.....

April 10, 2011 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |