Palin gives Trump some verbal support on birther issue
April 10th, 2011

Palin gives Trump some verbal support on birther issue

(CNN) - Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin supported Donald Trump's decision to hire investigators to examine President Barack Obama's birth, but stopped short of embracing the birther wave.

"I appreciate that the Donald wants to spend his resources in getting to the bottom of something that so interests him and many Americans. You know, more power to him," Palin said Saturday on Fox News. "He's not just throwing stones from the sidelines, he's digging in, he's paying for researchers."

Trump's media rampage over the president's birthplace continued Sunday in an appearance on CNN's "State of the Union," where he once again implored the president to produce his birth certificate. Thursday on NBC, the real estate mogul said he sent a team of investigators to Hawaii.

In 2008, the Obama campaign released a copy of the certificate, saying the serial number was blacked out for concern over Hawaiian procedure. Since then, many news organizations and the Annenberg Fact Check Project saw the original with the serial number, an embossed seal and a stamped signature.

But when asked about her views on the issue, Palin said she thinks the president was born in Hawaii.

"Well, you know, I think that he was born in Hawaii because there was a birth announcement put in the newspaper," Palin said. "But obviously if there's something there that the president doesn't want people to see on that birth certificate that he's going to great lengths to make sure it isn't shown. And that's kind of perplexing for a lot of people."

Filed under: Birthers • Donald Trump • Sarah Palin
  1. Rick in Phx

As an Independent who was born on a military base and spent my entire youth traveling this planet. I would just like to extend a big "Thank You" to Jeremy and to the birthers I'm sure will post here. I would just like to quote Sarah Palin and say to you; "WTF"

April 10, 2011 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  2. Republicans Are The American Taliban

Has Sarah Palin produced her college transcripts to America for review?? What is she trying to hide?? She has yet to produce her own long form birth certificate, and Trump produced one he made at home!! Hypocricy!!

April 10, 2011 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  3. John

I am still waiting to hear who are his lawyers and researchers and what is the amazing stuff he claims that they have already uncovered.

April 10, 2011 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  4. once upon a horse

I think Palin felt that Trump was stealing her thunder so of course she has to put her two cents in. More jealousy than anything else. Palin's approval rating is falling so fast she has to latch on to the hottest thing going, thus the Donald. Both she and Trump have the same problem, a big mouth with llittle ideas on the issues. The only difference is that Trump WILL talk to anybody and not just FoxNews and FaceBook and Trump has no shame so it doesn't matter to him that most people, even some GOPers are calling him nuts.

April 10, 2011 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  5. Scott

I see nothing surprising. We already knew she was a moron.

April 10, 2011 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  6. Nancy in WA State

Crazy Sarah is just buttering up Trump because she's probably hoping to become a VP nominee, again. Should something crazy happen, I gotta get my passport in order in case I need to move the family to Canada. No way could I live in a Trumped up Palin America.

April 10, 2011 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  7. Amstel

Politics has lost the veneer of respectability it once had. What we have now is a daily, extraterrestrial mindtrip into the absurd. The same lowest common denominator mass media approach now common in our fragmented media landscape has spilled over into the more serious – and consequential – world of politics. I've never been less proud of my country.

April 10, 2011 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  8. Eve

Trump and Palin know they cannot win (as does the Republicans) so they are lining up to act as the secondary attack squad to shield the actual candidate from looking unseemly/crazy by stepping into the gutter with these issues. By their comments, I guess I could never become president - my certificate is a short/basic informational certificate (from PA) ..... and my name is listed as 'Baby Girl {insert my last name}.' I had a name after birth. It just was not put on my birth certificate. - oh, my, the certificate is 'irregular' - its scandalous... I must not be a 'true American.'

April 10, 2011 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  9. demogal

What is amazing to me is that this nonsense has been going on for, what? four...six... years. And even with all their hard work, no one has been able to prove that the President was NOT born an American citizen. I seriously doubt that the Donald is really spending money on investigators in Hawaii, but if he is, more power to him. Same ole wild goose chase. Funny, in a tragic sort of way.

April 10, 2011 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  10. B

These two are Cartoons. Not funny just pathetic-

April 10, 2011 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  11. Aezelll

Ah, more stupidity. The loony toons are out in full force this week in the Republican Party.

April 10, 2011 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  12. Connie

If she really believed there was an issue with the President's place of birth, why didn't she and McCain follow through on it during their failed campaign?

April 10, 2011 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  13. Pauline

Obama has proven to the FBI, CIA, secret service, homeland security, that he meets the qualifications to be President. He does not have to prove it to Trump, Palin, or anyone else. Nothing will convince these idiots anyway. Obama could produce 100 documents proving he was born in the US and is a citizen, and the birthers will say they were fake.

April 10, 2011 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  14. Steven Colo

So her statement is that she thinks that Obama was born in the US but she supports Trump's efforts to confirm what she's already conceded.

My deepest appreciation to CNN for granting bandwidth to the bold, momentous statement of one of America's leading thinkers.

April 10, 2011 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  15. Pete

Our country is in so much trouble because this is the best that the opposition party can come up with. I'm a democrat but I would absolutely love a viable candidate from the GOP but they just seem to scrape the bottom of the barrel for "leaders".

Also, I Trump isn't running for President. He's just an egomaniac that likes to generate PR for himself. He did this last time and he's doing it again. When it comes time to go all in he'll decide that "this isn't the right time". Until then he'll just use the media for his own benefit. Palin is just too dumb to realize it.

April 10, 2011 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  16. T'sah from Virginia

CORRECTION: I meant to say "...President Obama born in Hawaii"

April 10, 2011 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  17. Patricia

John McCain should issue a public apology for unleashing this unethical demon on the masses. I am sure the republicans only hear nails scratching a chalkboard every time she opens her mouth. I will give credit where it is due; John McCain is 100% accountable for the destruction and credibility of the GOP. When he unleashed Palin, he unleashed all of the other wack jobs that think JUST LIKE HER. I'm glad we know now, so that we can make informed, educated decisions in the upcoming elections.

April 10, 2011 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  18. Belinda

The whole "Birther" movement is idiotic. By law, Obama would be a natural born citizen no matter where he was born, because of his mom's citizenship status.

For persons born between December 24, 1952 and November 14, 1986, a person is a U.S. citizen if all of the following are true:
    1. The person's parents were married at the time of birth
    2. One of the person's parents was a U.S. citizen when the person was born
    3. The citizen parent lived at least ten years in the United States before the child's birth;
    4. A minimum of 5 of these 10 years in the United States were after the citizen parent's 14th birthday.

ALL of those requirements have been met, even if Obama had been born outside the USA (and he wasn't- he was born in Hawaii).

April 10, 2011 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  19. Joe citizen abroad

Umm...and these "researchers" are going to be impartial, right? Yeah. Right.

April 10, 2011 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  20. oc

of course, if someone investigates Palin, they are un-American and just looking to to create or enlarge "falsehoods" about her

April 10, 2011 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  21. FOXY BROWN

The only comment I have to add is that this woman is an IDIOT, just like TRUMP.

April 10, 2011 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  22. CBR

Dear Sarah, You are giving your support to a man who is not known for supporting other people. Donald Trump will not give you support. He seems to get people to back him only to find reasons why he cannot support you.

The birthere question is absurd and he knows it. It is his way to get a front page story. Maybe The Apprentice is not doing well this time round.

April 10, 2011 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  23. Sean Russell

Yeah, this birther position totally makes sense. They believe Obama's 19yr old mother left the comfort and safety of the US (and a nice clean American hospital) to go have her baby in a 3rd world country. So she sneaks into Kenya- without a visa or any stamps in her passport; has her baby then sneaks back into the US with the baby (again without any entry stamps in her passport). She then tells everybody that she never left and had the baby here- because she knew that someday, he'd run for president and would need tell everybody he was born in the US. That's what they believe. The level of stupidity of that position just boggles the mind.

April 10, 2011 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  24. carrie

Trump , really cannot believe that crap, only trying to appeal to the extreme in the GOP . Really really makes him look pretty stupid!!! And in that he is joining the ranks of the stupid with the likes of Palin....This is so bizarre it is making the whole party look worse than they have over the past few months. Earth to Trump ,,,,not everyone is as dumb as you think we are!

April 10, 2011 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  25. john

Two publicity seeker
    One who can not win and the other who will not run at the and because all his business deals would be scrutinized .but it is great for his reality show
    It is a shame to tap so low for publicity

April 10, 2011 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |