Obama's sister criticizes birthers
April 11th, 2011

Obama's sister criticizes birthers

Washington (CNN) – President Barack Obama's sister thinks the birther movement is "unfortunate."

"I think it's unfortunate. He was born in Hawaii, there is a tremendous amount of proof that has already been presented," Maya Soetoro-Ng told CNN's Piers Morgan in an interview scheduled to air Tuesday. "I think that it is time for people to put that to bed, put it to rest completely."

And what about real estate mogul Donald Trump's repeated calls for the president to produce his birth certificate?

"Well, I think it's a shame and I think that my brother should definitely be president for a second term," Soetoro-Ng said. "And that's really all I have to say about it."

Trump, star of "Celebrity Apprentice," has made a second career out of questioning the president's birthplace, most recently on CNN's "State of the Union."

In 2008, the Obama campaign released a copy of the certificate, saying the serial number was blacked out for concern over Hawaiian procedure. Since then, many news organizations and the Annenberg Fact Check Project saw the original with the serial number, an embossed seal and a stamped signature.

The comments from Obama's half sister followed similar remarks by his aunt Saturday.

In an interview with CNN affiliate WHDH Zeituni Onyango said Trump is "lying."

"He was born in Honolulu, Hawaii," Onyango said. "A naked lie in the name of the Lord."

"I respect his wealth, but I only demand him to respect us," Onyango added. "And I challenge him. Let him call me and we'll talk."

Watch Piers Morgan Live weeknights 9 p.m. ET. For the latest from Piers Morgan click here.

Filed under: Birthers • Donald Trump • President Obama • TV-Piers Morgan
  1. Ken

I agree with her. I think it is time to put this to rest also. How about asking your brother to produce a birth certificate instead of paying millions to keep from producing it. Simple as that.

April 11, 2011 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  2. Wire Palladin, S. F.

The ignorant bagger birthers are a laughing stock of the world. To a right wingnut, you know the world respects the US when the president gets shoes thrown at him.

April 11, 2011 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  3. terry,va

Mother's admission to the hospital and the subsequent birth>>>>NO. Long form or the "official" birth certificate>>>>>NO. His Grandmother saying he was born in Africa>>>>>YES. Stay after him Trump.

April 11, 2011 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  4. T. Bagger

Consarnit!!!! Those pesky obamabots are at it again!!!!!!! Why should we believe her????!!!!! She's gotta be either a Oprah-watching union thug or a narcisslic elitest college profesor!!!!!!! What kind of name is Maya Soetero-Ng anyways????? It sounds Mexican!!!!!! Wise up real Americans!!!! There going to take away you're assault rifles and make your grandbabies listen while they read they're socialist indoctrinations from they're teleprompters!!!!!!!! Succeed from the union and empeach them all before its to late!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 11, 2011 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  5. Wire Palladin, S. F.

Proof and facts just get in the way of bagger/birther/Fox viewers. If Gaddafi was the republican presidential candidate running on the 'elimination of women's rights' platform, to the GOP, there would be no question about his birth certificate or that he was born in America.

April 11, 2011 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  6. Nini

I can see why Trump is doing this but I don't see why you Mrs. Gabriella Schwarz is so upset about this that she "writes Trump has made a second career out of questioning the president's birthplace".
    Are you reporting this or writing response to Trump?

Seem like you are going out of your way to MOCK him and that is not your job.

April 11, 2011 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  7. Martha in CF

Who better to say it than President Obama's sister. She should know........

April 11, 2011 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  8. thmadm

Born in Hawaii? Probably so, but why is the fool hiding all information about himself. I don't like Trump but he has a point.

I want to see his birth certificate and all his college records. ( that is if they actuallt exist )

April 11, 2011 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  9. Scott

Maybe Obama's sister has a copy of the certificate of live birth?

April 11, 2011 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  10. Anonymous

So-called birthers are ignorant people. There's nothing more to be said about them.

April 11, 2011 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  11. John G

While I do believe Obama was born in this country I do have to wonder why whould she come out after all this time? Well over two year.

April 11, 2011 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  12. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

I wouldn't worry too much about Trump. When the campaign begins in earnest, the GOPers will pull out Trump's record of three, filed corporate bankruptcies and ask him to explain that if he can't manage his own business, how does he expect to manage the national business/budget?

GOPers be proud – your party has evolved into a man-eating frenzy and will only get exponentially worse as the tea Baggers and regular GOP clash over whenther to cross the "T's" or dot the "I's" first, especially when there aren't any in the sentence to begin with, eh?!

April 11, 2011 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  13. True Observer

She was born in Indonesia and she's got the same certification of live birth as Obama.

April 11, 2011 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  14. Lilie

I agree with the President's sister and his Aunt! Donald Trump and all the birthers will never believe the President was born in America! Their goal is to make the President an OTHER...NOT ONE OF US!! Hawaii is in the United States of America!!! And so what if the President was born to an American mother while in Kenya! He's still an AMERICAN born to an AMERICAN CITIZEN while abroad! Are all the Americans born to Dept of State and Defense parents serving abroad NOT AMERICAN CITIZENS?? This is all so ridiculous!!!!

April 11, 2011 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  15. ingrid

Good for her. This birther nonsense is just a waste of time and energy and those who support this movement should go see a doctor because they are clearly unbalanced. I am sick of this pandering by the Republicans to this this unstable fringe movement.

April 11, 2011 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  16. Shyla Stylz

I don't believe in the whole "half sister" label ... she's his sister and it's good to see his people back him up.

Trump is NOT a LEGITIMATE candidate. It's about time he was interviewed by some one that will NOT let him talk over her, like Merrith Viera did. He would say "EXCUSE ME" when he wanted to interupt her and stop her from pressing a point. No journalist should allow that. She kissed up to him in the interview to keep stroking his ego.

I wish Bryant Gumbel [a great interviewer and smart guy] would have gotten a hold of Trump. Trump's hyperbolic way of speaking about himself in such grand fashion ["the best" this, "a great" that, "really well" this, "a lot of people ____",] provides so many opportunities to force him to defend his lies. Any well prepared journalist can cut off the ring and pummel Trump.

April 11, 2011 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  17. Rex Raptor

You go Onyango!

April 11, 2011 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  18. ja

the birthers are hate mongers in pure form, it is about race hands down, many folk in america can't accept obama as president because he isn't anglo-saxon, the same folk jump up and shout at worship, but then intoloreance is rampant in this world

April 11, 2011 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  19. Senior Citizen

Trump just likes all the attention he is receiving from the media. He and Palin are 2 of a kind and just love to hear themselves talk. Why don't he ask McCain for his? He was born in Panama, which isn't a state an no one seems to wonder about that. For someone who doesn't know how to comb his awful hair he should just go hide somewhere.

April 11, 2011 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  20. Andrew

It would be pretty stupid of him to still be illegal after being married to an american citizen for so long... why didn't michele sponsor him for citizenship? people are so stupid it hurts

April 11, 2011 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  21. Agnes

Trump doesn't need a birth certificate because he was hatched, not born, from a dodo's egg.

April 11, 2011 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  22. Me

I'm going to invent a machine that fixes stupid. I'll never run of new clients even after I get through with the birther crop.

April 11, 2011 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  23. Seriously?

I have a feeling I really know what she truly wanted to say and if she said it I wouldn't blame her. Absolutely pathetic Trump and these teabagging idiots. Sick of all of them.

April 11, 2011 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  24. Howard

1. President Barack Obama, former editor of the Harvard Law Review, is no longer a "lawyer". He surrendered his license back in 2008 in order to escape charges he lied on his bar application.

A "Voluntary Surrender" is not something where you decide "Gee, a license is not really something I need anymore, is it, and forget to renew your license. No, a "Voluntary Surrender" is something you do when you've been accused of something, and you 'voluntarily surrender" your license five seconds before the state suspends you.

2 Michelle Obama "voluntarily surrendered" her law license in 1993.

3. So, we have the first black President and First Lady – who don't actually have licenses to practice law. Facts.

April 11, 2011 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  25. Josh in Denver

He already showed a legal document with the official state seal and a state signature certifying he was born in Honolulu, Hawaii. In this country the accuser is responsible for showing proof, not the accused. Where is your proof that he wasn't born here? Oh wait, you have none!

April 11, 2011 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |