Obama's sister criticizes birthers
April 11th, 2011

Obama's sister criticizes birthers

Washington (CNN) – President Barack Obama's sister thinks the birther movement is "unfortunate."

"I think it's unfortunate. He was born in Hawaii, there is a tremendous amount of proof that has already been presented," Maya Soetoro-Ng told CNN's Piers Morgan in an interview scheduled to air Tuesday. "I think that it is time for people to put that to bed, put it to rest completely."

And what about real estate mogul Donald Trump's repeated calls for the president to produce his birth certificate?

"Well, I think it's a shame and I think that my brother should definitely be president for a second term," Soetoro-Ng said. "And that's really all I have to say about it."

Trump, star of "Celebrity Apprentice," has made a second career out of questioning the president's birthplace, most recently on CNN's "State of the Union."

In 2008, the Obama campaign released a copy of the certificate, saying the serial number was blacked out for concern over Hawaiian procedure. Since then, many news organizations and the Annenberg Fact Check Project saw the original with the serial number, an embossed seal and a stamped signature.

The comments from Obama's half sister followed similar remarks by his aunt Saturday.

In an interview with CNN affiliate WHDH Zeituni Onyango said Trump is "lying."

"He was born in Honolulu, Hawaii," Onyango said. "A naked lie in the name of the Lord."

"I respect his wealth, but I only demand him to respect us," Onyango added. "And I challenge him. Let him call me and we'll talk."

Watch Piers Morgan Live weeknights 9 p.m. ET. For the latest from Piers Morgan click here.

Filed under: Birthers • Donald Trump • President Obama • TV-Piers Morgan
  1. OneMoreTime

It's really sad that President and Mrs Obama's children have to learn about hate at such an early age. I know they
    are protecting them, but they can read and they do use the computer, so there is no escape and I am sure it hurts
    them. Trump, by associating himself with the teas (he said he was one)/birthers has shown the depth of his
    hard- ass approach to anything that, in his mind, will boost his image. Someone who has to tout his "credentials"
    so loudly and publicly is truly shallow and must be unfulfilled to the depths of his toes. Nothing here to respect,
    admire, nor care about. Either prove it or lose it, Trump. And before you all come down on me about Palin's
    kids, remember, she put them out there big time, especially Bristol. That argument won't wash.

April 11, 2011 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  2. Coach Lar

I require a birth certificate for my girl's softball team. I have not received anything but "long forms". It is so common to make a copy of the "long form" and submit it. Why doth Obama protest too much? He caused this on purpose. So, I hope Trump determines the purpose for this lack of transparency. (remember that word?)

April 11, 2011 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  3. John

Provide the signed birth certificate OBAMA! It is only fair, you would NOT let me continue working at my Job with a certificate of live birth. NO! After working for 20 years at the same job, you signed legislation which required me to get a signed birth certificate from washington DC. I was born on an Army base in Berlin Germany where my father served in the military. I HAD TO PROVIDE ONE AND YOU WILL NEVER BE LEGIT UNTIL YOU PROVIDE YOURS TO THE AMERICAN PUBLIC. Not the certificate of live birth, but your Birth certificate. COLB is Not even signed.

April 11, 2011 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  4. Ron

Simple enough, show us the papers. How hard is that? Every American citizen has one!

April 11, 2011 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  5. The Greedy Old Pigs gave birth to a monster!

Birthers are bigots. It's that simple.

April 11, 2011 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  6. Joan

President Obama DID produce the Certificate of Live Birth which is LEGAL IN HAWAII. How do you think he got passports for all of these years without legal documentation? How do you think he was able to run in so many elections if this wasn't legal? If there was something to uncover, don't you think the Clintons would have uncovered it during the primaries and the Republicans would have found it during the 2008 election?. Do the American people not realize how utterly ridiculous this makes your country look to the rest of the world. Donald Trump had better be careful with this. He is going to look like a total fool. If he doesn't run after all of this blustering then he will look like a coward who is really afraid to run. If he does run and loses it looks bad for him too. He is in a lose- lose situation now due to his own silly boasting and allegations.

April 11, 2011 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  7. Ken

I guess I should give Obama some credit after all. He is helping the economy by keeping a team of lawyers on payroll to keep from producing a birth certificate. When he said that he would give us some change we could believe in it's just a different kind of change. We'll certainly need change to pay for the 8 dollar a gallon gas we'll be paying to rebuild Lybia. I hope for all you Obama worshippers that he does end up having a birth certificate because you morons that voted him in are going to feel more stupid than you were to start with.

April 11, 2011 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  8. Ron

Birthers: "Show the birth certifcate!! Show the birth certificate!!"

Obama and the State of Hawaii: "Here's the birth certificate."

Birthers: "Um... show the birth certificate!!"

There's no way for Obama to win this little game so there's no sense in trying. No matter how many times he and the State of Hawaii prove he was born there, the birthers will never accept it because they don't want to. What is this really about? I don't know. But I know it's not about a birth certificate.

April 11, 2011 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  9. doubtful

Obama's sis has a Cert. of Live Birth from Hawaii, too. She was born in Indonesia. Wonder how that happened? hmmmm

April 11, 2011 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  10. Bob in PA

Ahh, the Obamanazi propaganda machine goes to the bullpen for another "quallified" source without first hand evidence..
    Just produce the certificate, that is all anyone has every asked be done. Why bother with all this wasted time, press and money protecting it's release? I have an official state certificate and a hospital certificate with all my little piddies stamped in ink on it.

April 11, 2011 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  11. Jerry in NC

Must be the day that the racists are allowed to use the computer at the nut ward! They are out in full force today, spouting the useless garbage that only THEY believe! FOR THE LAST TIME, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF HE WAS BORN ON THE MOON! His mother was a U.S. citizen, therefore he was BORN a U.S. citizen! It's in the freakin constitution! When are you hateful people going to get over the fact, that a BLACK man is President???????

April 11, 2011 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  12. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

WWJD? Turn the other cheek. Love is much stronger than the vile hate spewed by the far right wing of the Republican base. Bedsheets and pointy hats are no longer needed.

April 11, 2011 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. Mike

The issue will go away when Obama produces the required documentation. It's called the LONG form.

April 11, 2011 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  14. Erik

@HOWARD

And where did you gather all this factual evidence buddy? Why don't you post a link for us all to see? You know for a fact that you actually feel like you have lost your country when President Obama was elected. The shame of the matter is, this country has been in financial trouble and on the wrong track (TWO WARS) since Bush was elected or better yet SELECTED in 2000. You give George Bush all your allegiance becuase what? He believes in Jesus? So what? I do to. That doesn't make him right. You guys rather see Blank CHECK written for UNENDING WAR THAN TO SEE UNIVERAL HEALTHCARE for your OWN NEIGHBOR..BUT YOUR CHRISTIAINS.. YOU RACIST IDIOTS ARE A JOKE...

April 11, 2011 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  15. Mrs. M

This proves nothing, except that the sister (nobody ever heard from before now) is willing to perpetuate the lie. No "proof" has been presented, and that's the whole problem. And, as far as Obama being elected for a 2nd term – I surely hope voters will remember that he hasn't accomplished a damned thing of benefit to this country, and we sure don't need more of the same.

April 11, 2011 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  16. Bob in PA

Why is it when someone presents a logical question with serious ramifications that the only response is prefixed with "bigots", " monsters", "greedy little pigs", wingnuts or some other warm term on endearment ?

You all show yourselves for what you truely are.

April 11, 2011 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  17. Sam

Laughable at best that you expect the US public to believe his aunt Zeituni Onyango! LOL You are crazy right? Beleive the illegal alien who rode our welfare system and used publicly subsidized housing for years. The woman who commited Fraud and system abuse. And how would his sister really know, she was not born yet. COLBs & BCs can be fraudulently created, the illegal aliens do it every day. COLBs are also common place for families who give birth overseas then go thru the embassy to apply for a Real US birth certificate with a raised seal and Doctor's signature. If he had nothing to hide it would have been produced when called for. I had to produce mine to get a Driver's License and for my job, along with a valid Social Security Number. Seems only fair he should have to show his in a manner that EVERY USA citizen can see it!

April 11, 2011 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  18. JJ

why should he produce the certificate? to satisfy a bunch of racist ignorant fools that cant get over the fact we a black (biracial) president in the white house. has any of the previous (WHITE) presidents been subjected to this level of scrutiny? no..!

April 11, 2011 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  19. Rick in Phx

Reading the comments from the birthers here is just to hilarious. The man could have been born on Mars and he'd still be a citizen since his mother was a citizen. The idea that his mother would lie about where he was born so that he would have ALL the advantages of being a U.S citizen is laughable since the man was born even before King's "I have a dream speech". The guy was born at a time when segregration was still the law of the land in many states and the prospects of a black man living a comfortable life in the U.S was pretty much unheard of. So why would she lie? So that her child would have ALL the great advantages that black men and women had during that time. The fact that people belive that would be funny if it wasn't just plain sad.

April 11, 2011 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  20. Rickster

"President Barack Obama's sister thinks the birther movement is "unfortunate."
    --------------------
    You know what I think is "unfortunate"? That we have a Kenyan president who conned his way into office and is destroying the country.

April 11, 2011 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  21. Birth of a Nation

Certificate of Live Birth is the official birth cert in 1/3 of the US states. Every state makes their own certs and HI issues only what Obama has shown. Why even suspect he was born in Kenya if you can't even show his Mom went there LOL his Dad didn't give birth.

April 11, 2011 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  22. carrie

Trump is only going after the ill informed and he knows it , so sad he pretends to believe such a an untrue notion just to get support from a few radicals. He is not really that stupid , but if he is then he does not need to run for president! We know what uninformed Presidents look like and it is got this country in a mess we are having a hard time recovering from. I am starting to beleve the GOP does not have many intelligent people anymore.

April 11, 2011 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  23. Charlie S

You Libs gets get worked up aboutBbirthers, but what about Truthers? Talk about nutcases! These people (Left wing loons) actually believe that the Bush Administration planned and carried out the murder of nearly 3,000 Americans. They actually believed that they planted explosives in the World Trade Center. Talk about KOOKY. It is one thing to question where someone was born, considering his father was born and raised in Kenya, where his mother met him. It is quite another to suggest that the administration of a president planned and carried out the worst attack on American soil. Liberals never look at thier own wackiness, but overreact to anything and everything on the right.

April 11, 2011 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  24. Birth of a Nation

"This proves nothing, except that the sister (nobody ever heard from before now) is willing to perpetuate the lie."

The original Polarik birther conspiracy lie was the Obama photoshopped that sister's birth cert. Also lies that she said he was born in 2 different hospitals. So she was heard of long ago and used for these debunked stories.

"Obama's sis has a Cert. of Live Birth from Hawaii, too. She was born in Indonesia."

Her COLB lists her birthplace as Jakarta, Indonesia and Barack's lists his as Honolulu, HI.

April 11, 2011 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  25. maggie

I would be hard pressed to have a long form BC. When I got one for a passport it was the short kind and nobody had any problem with it. Also, my driver's license when I had it renewed this year, the State law required me to have my BC, my marriage license, 2 proofs of residency. Nobody questioned my BC, the short form. Each State has their own version of the BC, it is not a Federal document. Some are short, some may be long, although nobody in my family has a long form. If Donald Trump were accused of the same thing he is accusing Obama, he would tell you all to go to hell in a heartbeat, and Obama should do the same. He proved it once, if the birther people , including Trump , do not believe it, whose problem is that? They can't come up with anything bad about Obama, so they trump up some charges, and the gullibles will believe anything. PErhaps Obama is bigfoot. This has got to be the stupidest thing any president has been accused of. Clinton had Monica, Bush had stupid, and Obama who is probably one of our smarter presidents is accused of not being a natural born citizen, which by the way you have to be in order to be Pres, natural born in the U.S., and Obama was born in the U.S. Trump has lost it. There is no other reason for him to do this, except Obama irks the hell out of him and he can't get him any other way, so he falls into this garbage. What a laugh he is. Apparently money don't give ya brains or looks.

April 11, 2011 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |