Obama's sister describes his 'easy going' demeanor
April 11th, 2011

Obama's sister describes his 'easy going' demeanor

(CNN) - President Barack Obama's sister acknowledged his first term has been a "challenging time," but said it's important he win a second term.

"He has a healthy dose of pragmatism and he knew there would be enormous challenges and that it would be hard work, but of course there are things that happened that are simply unforeseen," Maya Soetoro-Ng told CNN's Piers Morgan in an interview set to air Tuesday. "As a citizen and as a parent myself, it's very important to me that he run and win."

But as his sister, whose book "Ladder to the Moon" is released Tuesday, she said a second term is a double-edged sword.

"There are feelings of ambivalence because it is such a hard job," Soetoro-Ng said.

When asked about her brother as a boy, she said he always had good judgment and "I think it continues to be."

"He's a pretty cool guy, but he's also very much himself," Soetoro-Ng said. "He's a pretty easy going fellow but as a history teacher this is pretty extraordinary for me to sort of bear witness to all this history."

She also addressed those who have questioned where Obama was born, saying the comments are "unfortunate."

"I think it's unfortunate. He was born in Hawaii, there is a tremendous amount of proof that has already been presented," Soetoro-Ng said. "I think that it is time for people to put that to bed, put it to rest completely."

In 2008, the Obama campaign released a copy of the certificate. News organizations and the Annenberg Fact Check Project saw the raised seal and signature. The state of Hawaii has certified he was born there.

Watch Piers Morgan Live weeknights 9 p.m. ET. For the latest from Piers Morgan click here.

Filed under: President Obama • TV-Piers Morgan
  1. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Obama's sister needs to be careful about proclaiming her "citizenship" because Hawaii isn't part of the U.S.

April 11, 2011 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  2. Thank God I am a Democrat

"I think it's unfortunate. He was born in Hawaii, there is a tremendous amount of proof that has already been presented," Soetero-Ng said. "I think that it is time for people to put that to bed, put it to rest completely."

Agreed but the birthers and their leader The Donald will just brush that aside as his sister sticking up for him. This birther issue will live on forever. I for one could care less if he was born in the states. The last several presidents supposedly were and look how that turned out. 9

April 11, 2011 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  3. stayintrue

I'm just wondering why I've never heard of this sister before? Has she been invited to any White House event?
    Honestly, I had no idea Obama had a sister. Sorry but there is so much mystery about this President.
    We knew EVERYTHING about George W. His Mother,Father, brothers.....his school records (not great)........just seems odd that this President has such a vague background.

April 11, 2011 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  4. Albo58

Puff piece? What would spruce it up would be his illegal alien aunt's opinion on the subject! Perhaps she could expand on why the American taxpayers owe her a check, too!

April 11, 2011 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  5. Republican Robber Baron

Yes Obama is a class act and I am might proud to have him as my President. The Republicans are just consumed with jealously and anger they have nobody even close to his caliber as a national leader. Even my Republican stronghold Congressional district that outnumbers Dem's 2:1 voted for Obama. That in itself is proof.

April 11, 2011 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  6. Christine Vancouter

i can't be fooled this time by this goody-goody statements. I will have to cast my vote to other candidate.. Change didn't happen at all.

April 11, 2011 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  7. Aaron

Birthers need something else to be obsessed about. Gingrich says he'd be Obama's worst nightmare in an election race, but he'd be the worst nightmare for Americans if, by some miracle, he ever won. We thought 8 years of Bush and the Repubs were bad, judging by Trump's going on about birther arguments, he had lost what little bit of mind that he ever had.

April 11, 2011 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  8. Kevin,FL

Looking forward to this interview... Piers see if you can get his grandmother to do an interview...that would be an interesting interview...

April 11, 2011 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  9. Former Republican, now an Independent

We can only hope for Obama's re-election, when we look at how the the current day neo-cons of the republican party has wasted 2 years and billions of dollars, trying to make the President fail at the expense of the American public. They have not brought forth one valid plan or idea in 2 years, except for their plan to continue their re-distribution of wealth from the American middle class to the wealthy, who own their soul.

April 11, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  10. Truthseeker

I see the intelligent genes were shared throughout the family. Nice lady with a good head on her shoulders! Look forward to the program.

April 11, 2011 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  11. stayintrue

Come on CNN. I ask a simple question? Where has the sister been?
    Do you care about what an registered Independent is thinking? Do you only want to support a President that has let the country down?
    BTW--where was the CNN poll about who voters attribute the budget "agreement" to? I hear you are saying that people think Obama was responsible?!!!! Please! Who are you kidding. Where was the poll?

April 11, 2011 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |