Trump says he is Obama campaign's 'worst nightmare'
April 11th, 2011

Trump says he is Obama campaign's 'worst nightmare'

Wasington (CNN) - Top Obama advisor David Plouffe Sunday laughed off suggestions Donald Trump will ever be a serious presidential candidate, but the business mogul says he is actually the Obama campaign's "worst nightmare."

"I am leading a lot of polls and doing very well," Trump told Fox News Monday as part of his weekly segment for the network. "I can tell you I am their worst nightmare."

The comments come after Plouffe joked on ABC's "This Week" that he would love to face off against Trump in a general election match-up.

"I saw Donald Trump kind of rising in the polls. Given his behavior, and the spectacle of the last couple of weeks, I hope he keeps on rising," Plouffe said with a smile. "There's zero chance that Donald Trump would ever be hired by the American people to do this job."

But Trump contends the opposite is true:

"I am not the person they want to run against," he said. "They know it, and I know it, and I know it for a fact. Because I have a lot of people that, frankly, are contributors to him and they tell me, 'Donald you are not the person they want to run against.'"

Trump has not led the potential GOP field in any major poll. But a recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll showed "The Apprentice" host and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee are tied for second place with support from 17 percent of likely GOP voters, behind former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney with 21 percent.

Filed under: 2012 • David Plouffe • Donald Trump
  1. CutTax

Trump is GREAT

April 11, 2011 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  2. kyle

I thought this clown had a legitimate plan to fix the economy, but he turns out to be just another teabagging birther.

April 11, 2011 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  3. janetlaw

This man might as well be on the Monoply board as Mr. Moneybags. I am arrogant, I am right, I don't pay taxes and screw the rest of you – oh, and by the way, I will lie, cheat and steal to get my way and to negate ANY democrat. Why is this man getting airtime? I am SO ashamed I ever watched one minute of the first season of The Apprentice.

April 11, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  4. Politicians are Angels and Teachers are now Devils according to the gospel of GOP Tea Party

I would like my pinky toes to run against Trump!.........dat would just be a landslide considering the fact that my pinkys are relatively unknown!!!

April 11, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  5. EatRunDive

True, but Trump would be his own campaign's worst nightmare, too!

April 11, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  6. irene

No Trump – you are your own worst nightmare as the rest of us are boycotting your shows and properties because we don't want to support a n ego-maniacal loser like you. I am boycotting all birthers – because you really know that Obama was born in Hawaii but refuse to acknowledge it so that you can extend your 15 minutes of political fame. Shame on you!

April 11, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  7. GL

Not stupid the Clinton were and if they didn't find anything what make you thing you will find any thing. The ARE THE MOST POWER IN THIS COUNTRY not you Trump as you want people to believe. You are nothing buy hot air trying to stir up hate.

April 11, 2011 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  8. GL

Nothing is wosrt then a person who thinks to much of themself as Trump does. The Tea Baggers are a very small factionof the voters so you don't have a change in hell to be our next President. HOT AIR, HOT AIR.

April 11, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  9. james Miller

King Donald seeks anointment . Talk about an egomaniac. He is the pure businessman--– a heart of stone.

April 11, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  10. GL

I am not the person they want to run against," he said. "They know it, and I know it, and I know it for a fact. Because I have a lot of people that, frankly, are contributors to him and they tell me, 'Donald you are not the person you want to run against.'"

AND THAT THE CASE, WHY ARE YOU NOT THROWING YOU HATE IN THE RACE. You are nothing but fool of yourself and HOT AIR. What is the hold up Trump – yea, because you know you don't have a chance in hell.

April 11, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  11. Darla (Edmonton, Canada)

Oh, God ... this man has more money than brains .... and anyone who votes for him or endorses him have no brains at all!

April 11, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  12. Pauline

Donald if your ego gets any bigger it will fit under your hair.

April 11, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  13. Brian

One of the more noble traits of a great leader is humility, Donal Trump should get some!

April 11, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  14. Rudy NYC

Actually Mr. Trump, you are a dream come true. That $2M spent on legal fees has been an investing that just keeps on giving thanks to birthers like you.

April 11, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  15. seriously???

You ARE my worst nightmare and I swear to God, if you get elected I'm out of here. Why? Because clearly it'd mean American's were the dumbest people on the planet.

April 11, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  16. Brian

The man doesn't even know the requirements to be a US citizen.

April 11, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  17. c

Trump is EVERYONE's nightmare.

April 11, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  18. james Miller

If memory serves me right, didn`t he file bankruptcy and left several banks holding the bag?????

April 11, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  19. Punctus

Actually I think he is everyone's worst nightmare.

April 11, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  20. willie floyd

I consider him the sweetest dream possible-short of Bachmans' balloon bursting!!

OBAMA/BIDEN 2012

April 11, 2011 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  21. RICKFROMPA

What an egotistical S.O.B. this man is! Since he already has 3 bankrupties under his belt – he thinks he can solve this nation's financial problems – what a bunch of bull! And then there is the "Birther Question" – you have got to be kidding!

April 11, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  22. Peter E

Trump's biggest hurdle is not democrats. It's his fellow republicans. Trump is an actual fiscal conservative who opposes not just corporate bailouts, but all the corporate and farm subsidies the republicans have been handing out freely for years to their campaign contributors. At best republicans are going to use Trump as an attack dog against Obama, only to push him aside in the primaries in favor of one of their more traditional, more easily controllable candidates like Romney or Pawlenty.

April 11, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  23. lloyd roberts

Ever since I have known about Donald Trump I hear the same thing; I, I, I, I, I, I. I have the best show, I have the best plan, I have the best properties, I know how to make deals, I, I, I, I. Reminds me of a Beatle song by George Harrison called I ME MINE, I ME MINE. Good quality in a Beatle song, real bad quality in a president

April 11, 2011 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  24. They ought to change from the elephant to the hippo...

Worst nightmare? What..? You think folks haven't seen a pompous jacka$$ with money and attitude before? Think again! You have NO chance!!

April 11, 2011 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  25. Mikey

Trump now trying his hand at comedy. He, like many of the other GOP side show freaks, is a great foil for the President. Wanna make President Obama look even more mainstream, keep making wacky statements about birth certificates or taking extreme positions on issues. Like Palin, Bachmann, Paul, Ryan, etc – out of the mainstream in a place we DO NOT want to take our country.

April 11, 2011 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |