Trump says he is Obama campaign's 'worst nightmare'
April 11th, 2011

Trump says he is Obama campaign's 'worst nightmare'

Wasington (CNN) - Top Obama advisor David Plouffe Sunday laughed off suggestions Donald Trump will ever be a serious presidential candidate, but the business mogul says he is actually the Obama campaign's "worst nightmare."

"I am leading a lot of polls and doing very well," Trump told Fox News Monday as part of his weekly segment for the network. "I can tell you I am their worst nightmare."

The comments come after Plouffe joked on ABC's "This Week" that he would love to face off against Trump in a general election match-up.

"I saw Donald Trump kind of rising in the polls. Given his behavior, and the spectacle of the last couple of weeks, I hope he keeps on rising," Plouffe said with a smile. "There's zero chance that Donald Trump would ever be hired by the American people to do this job."

But Trump contends the opposite is true:

"I am not the person they want to run against," he said. "They know it, and I know it, and I know it for a fact. Because I have a lot of people that, frankly, are contributors to him and they tell me, 'Donald you are not the person they want to run against.'"

Trump has not led the potential GOP field in any major poll. But a recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll showed "The Apprentice" host and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee are tied for second place with support from 17 percent of likely GOP voters, behind former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney with 21 percent.

Filed under: 2012 • David Plouffe • Donald Trump
  1. Sally Shaw

You are the voters' nightmare, Trump.

April 11, 2011 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  2. MiddleOfTheRoad

Donald Trump later corrected himself and stated, "I can tell you I am this country's worst nightmare." Fox News responded and said the "News" part of "Fox News" is very misleading.

April 11, 2011 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  3. stevetall

Nightmare, yes. Worst nightmare? The Donald's limited intelligence and his sense of entitlement are nightmares for the rest of us, but I think his worst nightmare would be having to pay his fair share of taxes. Can't we just tax this guy until he goes away?

April 11, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  4. Bruce

If Trump comes up with viable plans to help us in all phases of running this country, from international afrairs to the economy I see no reson not to vote for him. But again, he would have to come up with a really good plan.

April 11, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  5. timbo

I wonder what donald is trying to hide with his "comb-over?" no brains?

April 11, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  6. timbo

hey donald, "Duck"

April 11, 2011 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  7. lgny

One thing for certain, Trump definitely has the largest ego in this campaign!

April 11, 2011 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  8. rusty155

Donald Trump you are nothing but a big blow hard. You and that IDIOT Saran Palin, you two would make for part 2 movie DUMB AND DUMBER. The only hard thing about It who would pay DUMBER , But I think Saran Palin got you beat on that one. I do believe you be there worst nightmare, only because they got to keep looking at that hair of your, that enough for anybody to have nightmare.

April 11, 2011 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  9. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Donald needs to either comb over his hair or put a hat on, he's getting to much air in his head. Why would Americans want to hire a man, Trump, who as a real estate investors have had the luxury of borrowing millions of taxpayer dollars from banks to grow his wealth then turn around and marry foreign born women to share in his wealth, it doesn't make sense. We as Americans want our "First Lady" to be American born and not a "Third Lady" who is foreign born.

April 11, 2011 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  10. Republican Robber Baron

Nightmare? Yes for the Republican Party that it has come to this. Fake wrestler CEO, Wicked Witch of Delaware, Wild West West Angle calling for gun violence to resolve political differences, Romney Healthcare for all Americans,
    what's next GOP? Reality TV show for Don while he runs for Prez?

April 11, 2011 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  11. Amir Goy

Methinks 'The Donald' would just be a nightmare period. For everyone....

April 11, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  12. Name Jeremy from Dallas

Go for it,Trump. Announce and be real. Lets see what you get than talk,talk and talk. Be bold.

April 11, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  13. VA VERY Ex Republican

Not sure what say about this one. how about Donald, YOU ARE FIRED

April 11, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  14. tstorm

Could Trump be MORE full of himself?? In a million years this jerk has NO chance of winning a nomination, letting alone getting elected president. Trump, you're nothing but a media whore...

April 11, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  15. The Situation

What Poll are you leading???? You are so full of youself.

April 11, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  16. Nick , California

ha ha ha.. the sad thing is that Donald knows how to make a buck and has no shame in doing so! Either way you look at it he has a win win situation on his hands even though he will never be the POTUS!

April 11, 2011 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  17. Me

Lordy, which is more ridiculous? Trump's ego or his hair? No one will want a man in office that has been married three times, caught cheating publicly as least once and as a business man, has filed BK many times.

April 11, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  18. B

This idiot is in La- La land..

Not surprising though, huge ego that overwhelms thought and logic.

The mouth and the brain are wired backwards.

April 11, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  19. juliei4

Really? Two wars and another military action – the economy – aid to Japan and Haiti – uprisings in the Middle East and Donald Trump thinks he is President Obama's worst nightmare. This guy is a hoot! Can you imagine him as president trying to work with Congress when he cannot utter the words, You're fired"?

April 11, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  20. HardWorkingCitizen

Oh Please Trump. Get over yourself. No one gives too hoots about your mission. We're all working hard to provide for our families while you go out and play and ruin someone. Your evil and poor ambitions in life make you look more and more like the biggest Dousche in society. You claim your "polls" are doing well.I'm sure that's a liie. Anyone can SAY that. Leave Obama ALONE and go back to doing something more useful.

April 11, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  21. juliei4

Come to think about it – I think I am done with Celebrity Apprentice at least for this season as it is a bore. Maybe next year he can get Charlie Sheen – they ought to be able to have some really great conversations.

April 11, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  22. Charlie

Donald Trump is America's worst nightmare. I know Obama isn't nearly as great as everyone hoped, but I'd personally prefer him over this pompous windbag.

April 11, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  23. Me

Trump says he is Obama campaign's 'worst nightmare'

To: Donald Trum
    From: Me
    Re: You being Obama campaign 'worst nightmare'

Ahem, No, You are not. I know what you are thinking and again, NO YOU ARE NOT!
    You aren"t a bad day dream, much less anybody's worst nightmare
    You aren't even an afterthought.
    You are a joke not only to me, not only to Obama, but the rest of the country too.
    The Obama campaign is hoping for one of 3 things
    1. Sara Palin gets the GOP nomination
    2. Donald Trum gets the GOP nomination
    3. The job numbers continue to improve
    I would love to the Donald in open debate

April 11, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  24. GI Joe

Cream of the republican crop, folks, cream of the republican crop. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

April 11, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  25. usualone

He is the USA's worst nightmare if he gets anywhere in the Presidential bid. If he had any credibility (and I thought he did at one time businesswise) it surely is gone now. He will make millions more by people who will buy his book and anyway else he will sell his soul. He inherited his monies to get him started and he has failed a few times. I cannot think of anyone - male or female - who loves him/herself so much. His children will have to help out the old man as his ego will gobble him up.

April 11, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |