Trump says he is Obama campaign's 'worst nightmare'
April 11th, 2011

Trump says he is Obama campaign's 'worst nightmare'

Wasington (CNN) - Top Obama advisor David Plouffe Sunday laughed off suggestions Donald Trump will ever be a serious presidential candidate, but the business mogul says he is actually the Obama campaign's "worst nightmare."

"I am leading a lot of polls and doing very well," Trump told Fox News Monday as part of his weekly segment for the network. "I can tell you I am their worst nightmare."

The comments come after Plouffe joked on ABC's "This Week" that he would love to face off against Trump in a general election match-up.

"I saw Donald Trump kind of rising in the polls. Given his behavior, and the spectacle of the last couple of weeks, I hope he keeps on rising," Plouffe said with a smile. "There's zero chance that Donald Trump would ever be hired by the American people to do this job."

But Trump contends the opposite is true:

"I am not the person they want to run against," he said. "They know it, and I know it, and I know it for a fact. Because I have a lot of people that, frankly, are contributors to him and they tell me, 'Donald you are not the person they want to run against.'"

Trump has not led the potential GOP field in any major poll. But a recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll showed "The Apprentice" host and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee are tied for second place with support from 17 percent of likely GOP voters, behind former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney with 21 percent.

Filed under: 2012 • David Plouffe • Donald Trump
  1. Obama 2012

He really is the male version of Palin. Anytime anyone says something negative about him, he has to whine and cry and jump right back in the media. Plouffe is right Trump. You have zero chance of winning. You would just bankrupt the country and move on like you do in the business world.

April 11, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  2. VA VERY Ex Republican

BTW, Did you get Sarah Palin's approval to run for president. if yes, then please ask her to give you her index cards she used when she ran for VEEP in 2008. I am sure she still has them since I am confident that she does not have the mental ability to realize that 2008 elections were almost 3 years ago.

April 11, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  3. Howard

Obama is America's worst nightmare !!!

April 11, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. S.positive

This FOOL is definitly deluded..

April 11, 2011 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  5. Coopm

LMAO Could this guy be any more of a joke?

Donald, why not you just take Palin and go away. Nobody cares what you think. Get over yourself.

April 11, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  6. Really???

Because I have a lot of people that, frankly, are contributors to him and they tell me, 'Donald you are not the person you want to run against.'"

Who writes this stuff for him, Charlie Sheen?

April 11, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  7. cf

Hey Trump, why have you still not shown us your actual birth certificate?

April 11, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  8. Tax the rich

Trump is his own worst nightmare

April 11, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  9. Beverly - NYC

Poor Donald, will you admit just as loudly that the President is an American Citizen when your investigators prove you wrong meathead. You are far from the Obama Administration nightmare, you my friend are a comic distraction to the whitehouse staff who could use a good laugh. Until a serious Republican candidate is ready to man up and announce, your nutter side show will do. One more thing Donald, I prefer my first ladies American born. If I wanted to live in a country with a foreign born model as first lady I'll move to France.

April 11, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  10. Marry

I have always admired the White House for just ignoring the senseless circus that the GOP/TP represents themselves to be. However, I can understand that they just could not resist…
    A nightmare would be “The Donald” going any further than the primaries. Remember, he is not even running yet! I cannot even say that he is entertaining. Appalling would be the better description.

April 11, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  11. JLR

Why is he understating his impact: he's everyone's worst nightmare.

April 11, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  12. JV

Laughable!!! I'd like to see this moron in a political debate. His ego is just unreal

April 11, 2011 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  13. I Win!

Winning First!

April 11, 2011 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  14. sick of republicans.....made a mistake voting for them this time...never again

i hope he runs so Obama can crush him in the election

April 11, 2011 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  15. Realistic

Donald you would be the republicans worst nightmareand help them loose. See you might be doing well with Birthers but it does not take much to do well with them. If you consider how ignorant they are and how out of reality they are, association by them makes you guilty of stupidity. Now, of course you have no real solutions to our problems around the world, as an example, you said " you would slap China around", really? No not really especially when we owe them $1 trillion, they have a large military and by the way, we owe them $1 trillion. Yeah, you are dope and we all know it. Facts are these, being supported by bithers does not make you a viable contender, your hair would be jealous of paying attention to something else and it would revolt against you and start attacking people. SO Donnie, go back into filing more chptr 13 and exit stage left.

April 11, 2011 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  16. Alannah

Donald Strumpet is a tiresome aging bore. His ratings only reflect the lack of reasonable alternatives in the GOP. I wonder how Melanie's attorney fine tuned the pre nup to account for early onslaught everything that the Donald is destined to catch from over exposure to his own insufferable ego.

April 11, 2011 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  17. LovesIrony

"I am leading a lot of polls and doing very well," Trump told Fox News

Trump has not led the potential GOP field in any major poll

Delusional Chump!

April 11, 2011 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  18. once upon a horse

you know the one good thing about nightmares is that you wakeup from them and find out they weren't for real. Just like this Trump nightmare will be for America.

April 11, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  19. Kathy

The 3 casinos you declared banruptcy on you are the worst nightmare for those working for you!!! You left them all hanging and then got others to give you more money.

April 11, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  20. Joan

After all this boasting and blustering Trump better put his money where his mouth is and actually run. If he is a coward and pretends he can't run for other reasons, everyone will know he afraid to really run because he knows he will lose. He is boxing himself into a lose-lose situation. Either he runs and loses or doesn't run but looks like a coward. I thought he was smarter than this. Looks good on him though.

April 11, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  21. Larry Powers

The current political system is so corupt and loaded with red tape all Trump needs to do is,make sence as he has been and he would blow the others out of the water. Americans are sick and tired of politicians Democrats and Republicans in all. We need to change the way Washigton does bussiness .....it is not working. Period.

April 11, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  22. Bessy

This guys ego never stops. He is NO threat whatsoever and it is time that he accepts that. He has no intention of running anyway. This whole thing is to get better ratings for his stupid show.

April 11, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  23. coolfashionguy

Donald Trump is terrible and this whole presidential race fiasco is clearly just a publicity stunt to boost ratings for Celebrity Apprentice...have you SEEN his face lately? Eek... http://bit.ly/h0dQXR

April 11, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  24. Jean

If Donald doesn't shut up we will have to start calling him Charlie (Charlie Sheen).
    Now Mr Trump shut up and get over yourself...........Really