Trump says he is Obama campaign's 'worst nightmare'
April 11th, 2011

Trump says he is Obama campaign's 'worst nightmare'

Wasington (CNN) - Top Obama advisor David Plouffe Sunday laughed off suggestions Donald Trump will ever be a serious presidential candidate, but the business mogul says he is actually the Obama campaign's "worst nightmare."

"I am leading a lot of polls and doing very well," Trump told Fox News Monday as part of his weekly segment for the network. "I can tell you I am their worst nightmare."

The comments come after Plouffe joked on ABC's "This Week" that he would love to face off against Trump in a general election match-up.

"I saw Donald Trump kind of rising in the polls. Given his behavior, and the spectacle of the last couple of weeks, I hope he keeps on rising," Plouffe said with a smile. "There's zero chance that Donald Trump would ever be hired by the American people to do this job."

But Trump contends the opposite is true:

"I am not the person they want to run against," he said. "They know it, and I know it, and I know it for a fact. Because I have a lot of people that, frankly, are contributors to him and they tell me, 'Donald you are not the person they want to run against.'"

Trump has not led the potential GOP field in any major poll. But a recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll showed "The Apprentice" host and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee are tied for second place with support from 17 percent of likely GOP voters, behind former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney with 21 percent.

Filed under: 2012 • David Plouffe • Donald Trump
  1. slipthalo

Donald Trump only thinks he's the Obama campaigns' worst nightmare – honestly, Trump fits right in there with Palin, Bachmann, Barbour, Gingrich and a few other Repubs keeping their name out there. They're more than just a little w@cky in their thinking but will give them credit for their ability to make up and rewrite history.

April 11, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  2. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

Hey Donald, how are the ratings for CA going? Since you started your non-campaign have they risen? Does NBC appreciate this publicity stunt?

April 11, 2011 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  3. Jon

Correction: Donald Trump as President is the *American people's* second-worse nightmare. Having Palin as President is their first-worse nightmare. Man, could the Donald be any more of a jerk?

April 11, 2011 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  4. Lean6

Trump would be AMERICA'S worst nightmare if we let him anywhere near the government. What a dooshbag!!! Anybody that would vote for him thinking he represents anything but the rich looking to soak up the lint in your pocket has been asleep for the past 8-10 years.

April 11, 2011 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  5. sharon

He's a nightmare, alright

April 11, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  6. Ronnie Rayz

IF this guy wins the USA is really NUTS, from Obama to Trump? Huh? There has to a middle intelligence. Trump went bankrupt w/some of his Co's or casinos, lived in sin out of wedlock while cheatin on his Mrs., had some bastard children as well, he can certainly be the flag bearer for the GOP & Conservatives he is an ultimate hippcrite, born a multi missionaire, became a paper billionaire, went belly up & came back w/a TV show...hey Trump, your hair is writing checks you cant ca$h & your ego is ghhhesssh....YOU'RE FIRED....

April 11, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  7. Anonymous

Trump needs to get a larger hat because his current one is constricting the blood flow to his brain. Trump is a joke! He claims he has superior intelligence and I guess that must be the reason he has declared bankruptcy so many times.

It doesn't matter where President Obama was born because he has U.S. citizenship because his mother was a citizen when he was born. If Trump is so smart, he should know this.

April 11, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  8. Cosmo

I think that it would take an entire team of hightly skilled professionals working around the clock to break through this man's complex delusional system. Please just stick to screwing people in real estate deals and in the bankruptcy courts and leave the screwing of the American public to the people who have real experience, the GOP incumbents.

April 11, 2011 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  9. jim slim

Spoken like a try self publicizer, I am me and I love my self and I am obamas worst nightmare. Where is those facts donald you can't even beat a 70 year old scottish man with your golf course but your you will take down the most powerful man on the planet.??? bull fill in the blanks, CA seen what happened with an actor got in, regan everyone knows nancy was the brains, your blond bimbos are not going to cover for your dribble??. got to laugh.

April 11, 2011 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  10. A disgusted former republican

Wow! 17% support from likely republican voters translates to about 5% of total likely voters. With that many votes, we are talking super landslide here; for Obama.

April 11, 2011 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  11. a in austin

You don't scare or INTIMATE any one – you have learned what crazy things to say to rev up the right wing. Get over yourself!

April 11, 2011 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  12. gandoman

DONALD TRUMP ..... An egotistical Ross Perot with a BAD HAIRCUT is NOT the President's worst nightmare, it is America's worst nightmare if Darth Vader's purple veined MASTER wanted to take over the universe.
    Trump would love to have the power over people's voice (remember the strangulation leer with the hand wave) though it would be quite pointless as he never listens to anyone else speak but himself.
    Good Lord Almighty, A Don playing his TRUMP CARD, which is .....
    "I'm Rich so I can buy republican support & that guarantees me a place on the ticket."
    I welcome you TRUMPAHOLIC to throw your hat into the fray, though I almost forgot that you never wear a hat as it might give you "HAT HAIR."
    Oh, one more thing; I know that you cheat at golf so you will never have my vote ..... HAIR BITCH!

April 11, 2011 02:15 pm at 2:15 pm |
  13. Mike Hawthorne

Run, Forrest Trump, run !

April 11, 2011 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  14. Video Guy

Speaking of nightmares is his hair real. Is it "real american hair" or a china knock off?

April 11, 2011 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  15. Cynthia

Note to Donald: Sarah already has TV deals in the works.
    Note to Sarah: The current wife is younger & prettier. Give it up.

April 11, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  16. Frank J

No one in the current field of contenders for the GOP presidential nominations impresses me. When Trump entered the field he started waxing stupid and arrogant. The personality and political acumen score for this guy is a big fat ZERO. A candidate that I thought should have some kind of weight because of his business success and flashy style is really only a threat because of his bank account.

April 11, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  17. Rudy NYC

Mr. Trump, you should make a deal with President Obama. He will show us a legitimate piece of paper containing the words "birth certificate", and you will show us your income tax returns for the past decade.

April 11, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  18. pc

trump is a fool! he has lost all credibility acting like a tea-bagger when the world knows he is simply looking for attention for his TV show. i once had respect for the man but now his ignorance , treason actions put him right up there with sarah palin. neither are worthy of speaking our presidents name! president obama has more dignity and class than all the hate mungers spewing such ignorant garbage about something so stupid. america should be grateful to have such an intelligent and savy leader. i know i am. GOD BLESS PRESIDENT BARAK OBAMA!

April 11, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  19. JustMe

Sure must be nice to live in FantasyLand, Mr. Trump with all those characters from those Disney movies.

Seriously though, give me a break, Donald – you are so freakin full of yourself and of hot air you look to be about the size of the Hindenburg (and we all know what happened to it).

April 11, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  20. Ptown

What a egomaniac?

April 11, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  21. Indy

"I am not the person they want to run against," he said. "They know it, and I know it, and I know it for a fact. Because I have a lot of people that, frankly, are contributors to him and they tell me, 'Donald you are not the person you want to run against.'"

Another one that can't speak a full sentence and make sense, Trump is braindead when it come to running a country and even worse on the global economy. He might have a base but he will never get beyond that and then there is that pesky task of opening every financial aspect of his business that will be gone over with a fine tooth comb. He could never pass the vetting process and Ghadafi is not the only one he has screwed over, he has screwed every tax payer with his real estate schemes and bankruptcy schemes.

April 11, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  22. Kimo

Just what the GOP needs, another megalomaniac.

April 11, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  23. Bryan

That hair is a nightmare!

April 11, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  24. Michael tampa

LOL Donald you are america's worst nightmare and thats before we see the hair ha ha.

April 11, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  25. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

Trump IS a nightmare. He's Palin in a suit.

April 11, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |