Trump says he is Obama campaign's 'worst nightmare'
April 11th, 2011

Trump says he is Obama campaign's 'worst nightmare'

Wasington (CNN) - Top Obama advisor David Plouffe Sunday laughed off suggestions Donald Trump will ever be a serious presidential candidate, but the business mogul says he is actually the Obama campaign's "worst nightmare."

"I am leading a lot of polls and doing very well," Trump told Fox News Monday as part of his weekly segment for the network. "I can tell you I am their worst nightmare."

The comments come after Plouffe joked on ABC's "This Week" that he would love to face off against Trump in a general election match-up.

"I saw Donald Trump kind of rising in the polls. Given his behavior, and the spectacle of the last couple of weeks, I hope he keeps on rising," Plouffe said with a smile. "There's zero chance that Donald Trump would ever be hired by the American people to do this job."

But Trump contends the opposite is true:

"I am not the person they want to run against," he said. "They know it, and I know it, and I know it for a fact. Because I have a lot of people that, frankly, are contributors to him and they tell me, 'Donald you are not the person they want to run against.'"

Trump has not led the potential GOP field in any major poll. But a recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll showed "The Apprentice" host and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee are tied for second place with support from 17 percent of likely GOP voters, behind former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney with 21 percent.

Filed under: 2012 • David Plouffe • Donald Trump
  1. Gobama!

No, Donald, it's your hair that's the real nightmare...

April 11, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  2. Cherylynn

Run Donald, Run. I'm sure the Democratic party would love to see you and some of the other extreme right wing people run. It just makes President Obama look that much better by comparison.

April 11, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  3. Lyn Jenks

Oh please ... Obama's worst nightmare? Tell Mr. Trump to get over himself, get real and get back to what he does best ... which is making money as far as I can tell. His ego outstrips his ability be FAR!

April 11, 2011 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  4. Beverly

No one is afraid of Trump. In the words of the cowboy "Evil Kills Itself."

April 11, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  5. Tony in Maine

The Donald has slipped off the rails.

April 11, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  6. BassPlaya

If you're so awesome Don, then sack up and run already. I think you're a joke and a tool. As for that show you do, you can take it and pound it. I've never seen it. I wouldn't give you my attention. Now either run or shut the hole under your nose.

April 11, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  7. sharon

you go trump obama did his damage to america he knows he was born in kenya not no america he lied to the middle class and the poor an messed up we americans look wat shape he put us in. gas prices food prices everything hes no prez of mine you have my vote trump go get em show him how to run america show him how its done.sharon

April 11, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  8. No Tea For Me

Trump is a nightmare for casino gamblers. He is a joke and needs his ego stroked often.

April 11, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  9. gg

My advise to obama's compaign don't response to Trump or go after him.

April 11, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  10. Larry

Is Trump the person who bragged about swindling Ghadaffi in a business deal? Is this the way he runs his organization?

April 11, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  11. Lynne

Trump is only leading in the polls in his own mind! I am amazed that anyone actually writes a story about him as if he is real news....he is a joke and should go home and leave the politics to the real grown ups!

April 11, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  12. keeth in cali

Trump is our economy's and country's worst nightmare.

April 11, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  13. ClarasBeau

This guy reminds me more and more of Charlie Sheen with each passing day.

April 11, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  14. Dump Trump!

It is sO sad that you don't realize what an idiot you look like to the people of our great nation and beyond our borders. Who (in their right mind) would vote for someone that has been married numerous times, brags about swindling someone, goes bankrupt how many times? Has a worthless tv show, etc....that's just the tip of the iceberg ....just a guess from your background. Heaven knows what they will dig up on you!! Spend your money more wisely (honestly, you should have learned this already!) The birthers are all you seem to have.....that is not something I would brag about and it won't get you very far at all....please, enough already! The educated voter won't buy into nonsense!!!!!

April 11, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  15. T3chsupport

Maybe if Obama had some health condition that made him allergic to laughter, then the Donald might be his worst enemy. But as of right now, we're pretty sure that laughter is good for your health and mental state, so no harm no foul!

April 11, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  16. Don

Whatever this guy is smoking I want some of that.

April 11, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  17. felicia

So is trump the chump running or not. While he talking out the side of his neck.

April 11, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  18. Eileen

I think the Donald needs to stick with building golf courses, buying vineyards and rubbing elbows with the "stars" on Celebrity Apprentice. If you think the economy is bad now, imagine what it would be like in the hands of the "bankrupcty king".

April 11, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  19. alpha_nu_916

this man is morally bankrupt. another problem for the combover – you can't dischage millions of people like a bad investment. but, why not – he's better than most of the republican contenders.

April 11, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  20. carlos

bloated lard brain and NOTHING....

April 11, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  21. Marko

Trump is America's nightmare ( D-BAG)

April 11, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  22. Michael

His ego will be his undoing.

April 11, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  23. RBTL

No, Donald Trump is the whole country's nightmare......

April 11, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  24. carrotroot

I don't think Trump is a stupid man, but something is definitely wrong with him. When buy into conspiracies such as the 9/11 "Truthers" or the "Birther" movement people are going to write you off as who can't separate fiction from reality.

April 11, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  25. willard bullock

Im feeling belived that donald trump are alright about scam birther so I need donald trump go to kenynea so he would like invegator at kenyena about birther

April 11, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |