April 12th, 2011

CNN/Opinion Research Poll – April 9-10 – Civil War

TOPICS: Sympathize with Union or Confederacy, opinion of northern and southern leaders, was slavery the reason why southern states seceded?

Full results (pdf)

Filed under: CNN Poll Archive • Extra
  1. Marie MD

Watching was is coming out of the southern states lately, we should ALL be thankful that the south LOST the war . . . . . . GET OVER IT!!
    It's the 21st century. Live for today.

April 12, 2011 06:10 am at 6:10 am |
  2. bill

The Southern states of America still fly the Confederate flagg on their porches on fourth of July? Come on ? I,ve lived in S.C. and came west to get out of it!! Most southerners I know,say, "The South will rise again? Rise to What? Slavery? They still call fellow Americans "Yankys" north of the Mason-Dixie Line? There Children are fighting in the same Military? They still live by their "Civil War" failure! I,m afraid I have to go with Union, I,m not a Racist,except when it comes to the "TEAPEE " party,and Gop !

April 12, 2011 07:39 am at 7:39 am |
  3. KingPellinore

If you read the Constitution of the Confederacy, it's pretty clear preservation of the practice of slavery was the reason for secession.

April 12, 2011 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  4. KingPellinore

It is worth noting that, however barbaric their reasons for seceding, the Confederacy intended to do so peacefully and without conflict and would have done so had they been allowed. Still (and I speak as a native Georgian who's done his share of Civil War reenactments) it's hard to defend a region that tried to leave the USA in order to preserve slavery.

April 12, 2011 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  5. Rudy NYC

If anyone wants to understand southern pride, you should visit Stone Mountain, GA. I don't know if they still do the laser light show, but the crowd enthusiasm makes the air electric despite the fact that most have seen hit too many times to count.

If anyone wants to understand slavery hardships, you should visit Stone Mountain, GA. Take a good look around for anyone of color, if you can find one. You will find some people during daylight hours, but not after nightfall.

April 12, 2011 08:46 am at 8:46 am |