Trump now considering independent run
April 12th, 2011

Trump now considering independent run

Washington (CNN) - Donald Trump says he's now flirting with the idea of running as an independent candidate should he fail to win the Republican presidential nomination, a move that, however farfetched, threatens to draw crucial support away from the eventual GOP nominee.

"I think the Republicans are very concerned that I [may] run as an independent," Trump told the Wall Street Journal in comments published Tuesday.

"I am very conservative," he added. "The concern is if I don't win [the GOP primary] will I run as an independent, and I think the answer is probably yes."

The odds have always been stacked against a third party candidate in a presidential race, usually due to a combination of lower name identification, relatively little funding, and a lack of party infrastructure to rely on for get out the vote initiatives.

But Trump – who has already spent years making sure people know who he is and has vowed to spend hundreds of millions of his own fortune if he runs – says he could win without the GOP banner behind him.

"I'm not doing it for any other reason. I like winning."

Meanwhile, top White House aide David Plouffe shrugged off Trump's potential candidacy Sunday, saying there is no way he "would ever be hired by the American people to do this job."

But speaking to Fox Sunday, Trump maintained he is actually the Obama campaign's "worst nightmare."

"I am not the person they want to run against," he said. "They know it, and I know it, and I know it for a fact. Because I have a lot of people that, frankly, are contributors to him and they tell me, 'Donald you are not the person they want to run against.'"

Trump has not led the potential GOP field in any major poll. But a recent NBC/Wall Street Journal poll showed "The Apprentice" host and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee are tied for second place with support from 17 percent of likely GOP voters, behind former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney with 21 percent.

Filed under: 2012 • Donald Trump
  1. Kum Peter

Hi Mr. Trump i don't think you can make a good President.See,business and Politics are different.You are a successful businessman. That we understand to mean you are good when it comes to meeting YOUR bottom line.Politics is about those decisions that favor the masses.It is about Kissing asses.What i draw from your comments so far is that you are bent on see through with your bottom-line.I think you will make a very BAD President.Please stick to Business.

April 12, 2011 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  2. Bob Dog

Excellent idea, Donald. If it weren't for the fact your entire existence is cheap, self-serving hypocracy, this would actually be a good idea.

"Run, The Donald, Run!!!"

April 12, 2011 09:09 am at 9:09 am |
  3. Gregory Hewitt

I don't think so. All the laughing aside, I dont' think the world would respect him.

April 12, 2011 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  4. Patchw3rk

Go for it Trump!!

Obama/Biden 2012

April 12, 2011 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  5. lynn

Conservative, like hell. He's filed for personal and business bankruptcy many times, just bought himself a vineyard. Nothing conservative about him, just a self promoter huckster. Like so many of the GOP'rs more interested in getting themselves before the camera than solving the U.S. problems.

April 12, 2011 09:10 am at 9:10 am |
  6. Dave Waring

All he needs now is Palin as his running mate. Dumb and Dumber....

April 12, 2011 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  7. gypsydaveywithablowtorch

Yeah, he could start the Birther party. Ah, the good Donald, always puts country first above himself!

April 12, 2011 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  8. lefty avenger

What could Trump bring to the tables that isn't already happening? He wants all the money with the top 5% aristocratic oligarchy. He wants his rich people prancing around endlessly while we starve and die in the dirt. Trump and his wealthy are the people to blame for decimating this country for working people. Tell Trump and his fake rug on top of his head that we don't want him!

April 12, 2011 09:11 am at 9:11 am |
  9. MiddleOfTheRoad

"I'm not doing it for any other reason. I like winning."

Presidential material? You decide.

April 12, 2011 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  10. Justin

Trump/Beck as independants in 2012 race?? Place your bets folks, place your bets.

April 12, 2011 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  11. nintex

"I'm not doing it for any other reason. I like winning."

What a fabulous reason for us to elect him president. He likes winning. Forget leading the nation, representing us to the nations of the world, negotiating peace agreements, setting domestic policy . . . . no, he likes winning. That right there should be enough to scare people into not voting for him.

April 12, 2011 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  12. mommytwice

Is there some way to get this guy to be quiet and go away? He's getting as bad as Palin, shooting off his mouth with NOTHING to say of any consequence.

April 12, 2011 09:13 am at 9:13 am |
  13. et

I would say let this Trump idiot run, and fall flat on his face!

April 12, 2011 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  14. john

It's hard to take this seriously.

April 12, 2011 09:14 am at 9:14 am |
  15. Larry

Trump has to keep his name recognition as high as possible. He must realize that his team of "investigators" in Hawaii will wind up with nothing except a tan. He must also realize that he has no chance as a major player in the republican party, as his long list of wives, bankruptcies, and admitted swindle attest to. He must, therefore, use his money and buy the only thing he can to keep his name in the media – a self-financed independent run.

Trump must be on the payroll of the DNC. He does nothing except help Obama.

April 12, 2011 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  16. Republicans Are The American Taliban

"I'm not doing it for any other reason. I like winning."

When you file for bankruptcy, is that considered winning, or is it considered "screwing the government"??

April 12, 2011 09:15 am at 9:15 am |
  17. Who?

Who is this guy Trump? Is he a TV star or something?

April 12, 2011 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  18. Obama 2012

Please just go away. If you do not win the nomination, take it as a sign that NO ONE wants to elect you President.

April 12, 2011 09:16 am at 9:16 am |
  19. Jon in Rochester NY

This is his threat to the GOP. He is basically saying "If you don't nominate me as your candidate, then I will ensure Obama wins.". What a cry baby! After this ridiculous birther stuff that he has been spewing, he has no chance of winning. Up until then, I thought that it might be a good idea to have a successful businessman in the White House. Now I realize that he is just an insane man with money. If you dig deep into his background, you will see that he really isn't that great of a businessman either. Who bankrupts a casino? The odds are in favor of the casino. Only a fool could make one go bankrupt.

April 12, 2011 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  20. Marie MD

The only thing uglier than that hair is his narcissistic ego. Who does this clown think he is? Running as an independent is not going to give you more votes.

This banktupt moron has become the male version of the imbecilic moron from AK! I knos more about him than i ever wanted and i don't see anyghing good coming from him. His wife should not be allowed to be firzt lady either she was NOT born in the US.

April 12, 2011 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  21. commonsense

Haaa!!, Heeee!!!!!, Haahaa!!!, Heee, Haa!!!, Trump should of been a comedian. This fool cracks me up!!

April 12, 2011 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  22. Dominican mama 4 Obama

I remember so clearly the words of my General Manager at work advising me back in 2009 to stay away from the "blogs"; "they will poison your soul with their detritus, and hate", he said to me. "They will do this because of who this President is, and his color, and because under the cloak of anonymity there are those who will feel free to say anything".
    Well, he was completely right.

April 12, 2011 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  23. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

And so he can join Ross Perot, Ralph Nader and Pat Buchannan as spoilers who will ruin whatever chances their normal party would have to win an election by siphoning votes. Of course, given his record for marital fidelity he will probably tank his own chances pretty soon.

April 12, 2011 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  24. My worst nightmare

I love how Donny always mentions his "people":

"Because I have a lot of people that, frankly, are contributors to him and they tell me, 'Donald you are not the person they want to run against.'" (this article)

"They are really my people. They love the country." (commenting on his speech to CPAC)

"My people keep telling me I shouldn't write letters like this to critics" (one of 7 instances of "my people" in The Art of the Deal)

"“I have people that go to make a deal that can’t make it, then I have other people who go to make a deal and they make it." (interview with Human Events).

"I have people in the business who say, it's impossible to get a permit to drill." (Fox News interview)

"My people cannot believe what they are finding in Hawaii" (a recent article you might have missed)

"Let my people go" (well, OK, he didn't actually say that one).

April 12, 2011 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  25. Wire Palladin, S. F.

If he does this, Trump will draw all the support from the birther/bagger/bigot.WMD er/ reality challenged base of the republican party.

April 12, 2011 09:21 am at 9:21 am |